Good Atlantic article on the presidency

Status
Not open for further replies.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Article here.

This article gives a good history lesson on the formation of the executive branch, as well as some interesting ideas for reigning in a branch of our government that has gone berserk.

Among all the solutions that were offered, I think the best and most interesting one was a complete rewrite of Article II in which the president's powers are clearly spelled out instead of just offering a grant of vague executive authority. As the article mentions, the presidency in its current form exists largely outside the Constitution in that whatever isn't specifically prohibited, Presidents seem to assume they can do. This is the sort of thing that leads presidents to say they can torture and wiretap people in defiance of the law, that they can attach signing statements saying they refuse to follow the laws they are signing, etc.

I'm just wondering what other people think, specifically since executive power has recently changed hands. I personally think Obama will turn out to be a pretty decent president, but I also think that no man should have this much unchecked power. How long can it be until we're saddled with another Bush who makes things even worse?

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Executive powers should be specifically curbed. I suppose it was a foreseeable progression (to work-around law with arbitrary signing statements by scum like Addington), but at the same time the violation of U.S. citizen's privacy via NSA wiretapping is totally unacceptable, as is torturing human beings (even if they are scum). Torturing makes us look weak, threatens our stance in diplomatic relations, and particularly erodes our principles and morals. Thankfully the adults are back in power in this branch.

And while it is a somewhat recent pheonemon, it simply cannot overturn laws that have been passed. That defeats the purpose of Congress to exist.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Too many Americans still live in perpetual fear of being blown up in a plane and thus they're ok with some maverick like president who will "do what has to be done" when the time comes, and damn those beaurocrats and senators who hate America who would try to curb it.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Too many Americans still live in perpetual fear of being blown up in a plane and thus they're ok with some maverick like president who will "do what has to be done" when the time comes, and damn those beaurocrats and senators who hate America who would try to curb it.

Yup, and they're out there trying to outspend each other RIGHT NOW for assault weapons and ammo, yet another sign of their "high levels of smartness." :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.