Gollum

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Spagina

Dec 31, 2000
Originally posted by: glen
I do think Jar-Jar's animation was more seemless in Star Wars than Gollum's is in LOTR.

No way. When I watched Jar Jar I knew it was CG, I was never convinced that Jar Jar was a part of the environment, Jar Jar seemed lifeless. I like ILM and their work, but Jar Jar couldn't hold a candle to Gollum. Gollum had all the natural twitches, jerks, and nuances that a creature or person should have. He had the spark that made you believe that he could be real. I'm not even going to get into how much I despised Jar Jar as a character. He was static, he was crappy, it's an insult to compare Jar Jar on the same field as Gollum. Go see Two Towers again and just focus on Gollum in his scenes. Just watch his facial expressions and his eyes, I never saw any emtion like that in Jar Jar. Jar Jar just spit out a bunch of "me-sa me-sa" crap and fell all over the place.

Beau

Lifer
Jun 25, 2001
www.beauscott.com
Originally posted by: Squisher
You know when I first read the hobbit over 30 years ago my conception was that of a much more animalist being, but after reading that Gollum was at one time human and had been twisted into the beast that he is, these pictures are more along the lines with what I would have imagined.

I thought he used to be a hobbit :confused:

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Beau
You know when I first read the hobbit over 30 years ago my conception was that of a much more animalist being, but after reading that Gollum was at one time human and had been twisted into the beast that he is, these pictures are more along the lines with what I would have imagined.

No...just a loyal Trent Lott follower

TheWart

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2000
I also thought that Gollum was represented well by PJ and crew. How in the world did they do the wrestling with Frodo and Sam so well in the beginning!! The interaction with water was astounding as others have already noted. To me, Jar-Jar was an add-in while Gollum was a total character in their respective movies.

prontospyder

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Rogue
I can also honestly say that I have never, in all the theatre sittings of the two recent Star Wars films, seen an audience react to a CG character with the same degree of emotion as they would a real actor. Not in Star Wars or Final Fantasy did I hear gasps or sighs with regards to the graphics. If ever there was a fair chance for a CG character to be put up for an Oscar for acting, this is the one.

I agree. Gollum was nicely done.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I've got to agree with Alphazero on this one. After 2 or 3 minutes of watching Gollum I was pretty much amazed at how well he was rendered. The technology involved in undeniably impressive, definitely a jump forward in computer-generated characters. But after 5 minutes I was begging for a fast-forward button every time he came on the screen. The exact thought that came to my mind was "My God, they've turned him into Jar-Jar Binks". In the books Gollum was equal parts terrified subservience and barely concealed menace. In the film he just comes across as whiny and annoying right up until the very end. At least then he gives a glimpse of the hidden evil and self-interest that's driving the character, but up until that point he was just a waste of time, space and my eardrums.

rockyct

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Alphazero
Entertaining, but this freaky little creature is the Jar Jar Binks of LOTR. He talks funny, has a weird voice and he's damn ugly. Don't you agree?

No. The animation was so good that you could actually believe that he has human qualities.

benliong

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2000
Originally posted by: TheWart
I also thought that Gollum was represented well by PJ and crew. How in the world did they do the wrestling with Frodo and Sam so well in the beginning!! The interaction with water was astounding as others have already noted. To me, Jar-Jar was an add-in while Gollum was a total character in their respective movies.

I read somewhere that everywhere scene involving Gollum would have to be shot 3 times, (1) on set, with Frodo and Sam, the actors interact with them to get a good reaction. (2) on set, only Frodo and Sam, just to get the background. (3) Gollum the actor re-act those in a motion capture facility. Those are then painstakingly put together, adjusting the details here and there. That's why you can get interaction between gollum and the environment / Frodo and sam that well. :)

And, How dare anyone compare Gollum to Jar Jar! NOOOOOOOOOOO

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Alphazero
Entertaining, but this freaky little creature is the Jar Jar Binks of LOTR. He talks funny, has a weird voice and he's damn ugly. Don't you agree?

Um, NO. You've obviously never actually read any of the BOOKS. The movies were made in 2001-2002, but the books that the movies are based on were written half a century ago.

The Wildcard

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 1999
Hahah, I could care less if the gollum was accurately portrayed in the movie as in the book. I agree with Alphazero. The damm creature is ugly, freaky and annoying.

May 31, 2001
Probably the best CGI main character I have ever seen. They need to make a new Academy Award category for this kind of thing.

Smeagol owns Jar Jar for free. :p

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: Beau

I think they were called the River Folk, and were similiar to Hobbits if I recall correctly.

Balthazar

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Czar
Originally posted by: Czar
I do think Jar-Jar's animation was more seemless in Star Wars than Gollum's is in LOTR.
what? didnt you see the scene where Gollum was splashing in the water trying to catch a fish? never has a scene putting a cg character into the real world been done so well before

That was good.
But, I have seen TTT 3 times, and PM and ATOTC about 10 times each.
I really want Gollum's animation to be better, but honestly I have to say that for single characters like Gollum and Jar-Jar, ILM is slightly better.

better? everyone at the cgtalk forum was just amazed how damn amazing the animation was
ilm?

That right there is the key....if you don't knot what ILM is then I don't care what group of idiots on the cgtalk forums (is that supposed to lend some magical weight to the claim?) agree gollum is better you don't know jack sh*t so your opinion on whats better or worse is of little value.

KevinH

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2000
ILM...Industrial Light and Magic? ANd does knowing that acronym give more weight....bah, can't believe I was just about to engage in a debate over a forum. My bad..

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: yobarman
Gollum was the first time i ever let my brain trick me into thinking it was a real. a couple of times i just thought of him as a real creature because he was fluid and had a lot of emotion.

to compare him to that douche bag jar jar binks is an insult to LotR

that's more or less what i say too

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
No,I thought he was funny.The scenes with him talking to himself also really illustrated the power of the ring and the toll it takes on anyone who becomes obessed with it.How could Frodo not pity this creature more and more as time passed,look at the toll being the ring bearer takes on Frodo himself.

TonyB

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: The_Wildcard
Hahah, I could care less if the gollum was accurately portrayed in the movie as in the book. I agree with Alphazero. The damm creature is ugly, freaky and annoying.

dont hate Gollum just cuz you had nightmares after watching him on the screen