Golf and business - what is the relationship?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Why is Golf so ingrained in business culture? I can't think of any other thing that is so common. It just so happens that the very successful people I know happen to be avid golfers and very good ones to boot.

But I can attest that good business relationships can/are built over a simple game of golf. What the connection? There is friendly gamesmanship on the course, there's competition, the game is similar to business.

Any theories on the connection? Could it be the drive to succeed in business carries into personal drive in Golf, self reflection and corrective measures? Constant improvement? Is it a chicken/egg scenario?

But you can't deny the relationships built over such a simple game.

ChaoZ

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2000
People play golf to make up for the balls they've lost. Paraphrased from a move I watched.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
It's a rich man's sport that has plenty of rest time to talk and allow male bonding.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Well, in their youth, there is the holy trinity of fraternities, beer, and business. All potential businessmen have to join a fraternity and get royally trashed seven nights a week with the future leaders of America, that's just the way it is. However, once you've gone through this and forged the friendships (or at least acquaintances) that you'll need to get yourself through the corporate world, you need something which isn't as hard on your poor abused liver. Golf is just a more elaborate, less athletic, and much more expensive and destructive of nature version of beer pong.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: jagec
Well, in their youth, there is the holy trinity of fraternities, beer, and business. All potential businessmen have to join a fraternity and get royally trashed seven nights a week with the future leaders of America, that's just the way it is. However, once you've gone through this and forged the friendships (or at least acquaintances) that you'll need to get yourself through the corporate world, you need something which isn't as hard on your poor abused liver. Golf is just a more elaborate, less athletic, and much more expensive and destructive of nature version of beer pong.

Very good theory actually.

There's a bonding and competative nature to the game.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
There's no other way you'll get a 3 hour meeting with a busy executive.

edit: well actually more than that since you'll probably have lunch too, and these days slow play is more common so the round itself could take 4 hrs.

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
I see golf as a leisurely activity for out of shape adults who want to avoid exertion, stay relatively dressy, and engage in playful competition. That makes it right up the alley of the typical businessman. Only reason it continues to be popular is tradition and peer pressure. I don't think there's any correlation between golf and business acumen.

Shortcut

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2003
golf is an equalizing sport. where else can a slobbering fat ass businessman compete against a healthy, athletic specimen?

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I don't agree with the "rich mans sport" badge at all. I play @ a local muni (municipal course) for $13 a round
during summer months and have a $250 set of clubs. Shame of it is back in the day golfers used to WALK the
course, not ride in carts like they are forced to now. Insted of riding in a buggy and swilling beers, the 4-5 mile
walk was decent exercise.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
heh, some of you have an incredible misconception of golf. It doesn't have to be expensive at all. Being physically fit is a huge advantage.(have you ever seen Tiger Wood's arms?) It takes a lot of skill and knowledge of the game to play well.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: everman
heh, some of you have an incredible misconception of golf. It doesn't have to be expensive at all. Being physically fit is a huge advantage.(have you ever seen Tiger Wood's arms?) It takes a lot of skill and knowledge of the game to play well.

Sure, arm strength helps, but if you're not sweaty and panting by the end of the game, it's not a sport IMHO.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
I'm not saying you can't play golf for cheap. I do it all the time. As far as wealthy men go, however, I bet more of them play golf and tennis more than any other sport.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
i had a couple different responses to this but i can sum it up like this:

you can learn a lot about a person over a round of golf.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
Originally posted by: everman

have you ever seen John Daly's gut?