Goldschlager....does it really cut your throat?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Isn't gold a toxic heavy metal to your body? :confused:

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Eli
Isn't gold a toxic heavy metal to your body? :confused:

the amount of it in there is so minute that nothing can happen from it. You gotta look closely to see the flakes of gold in a full bottle.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
Gold is not toxic, in fact it is becoming more common for people to use gold foil for fancy foodstuffs; gold covered cherries, etc. Gold is one of the few metals out there that is non-reactive with just about everything; hence why they use it in spacecrafts, dental fillings, and why some people can wear 24k gold but not other metals.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Everyone is laughing at him for asking.. but its not totally far fetched.. dip has fiberglass in it no? to cut the lip and help absorbtion.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
if that cut your throat, i dunno how one can survive eating things like corn chips

Mallow

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: 911paramedic
Ummm, yeah. I sure hope you are joking.

Do you really think the FDA would allow it to be sold if that were the case?
chewing tobacco uses fiber glass particles to cut your lip in order to "facilitate" the product.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It's funny b/c just this weekend my fiancee was telling me how she got sick after she drank a bunch of goldschlager followed by various and sundry other beverages, and blamed the 'schlager for making her sick b/c the gold flakes sped the absorption of alcohol so much.

That was the first I ever heard that little urban legend. I don't believe it. My freshman year in college, I drank 7 shots of 'schlager and I didn't feel any drunker any faster than I did when I drank 7 shots of some other liquor.

MattCo

Platinum Member
Jan 29, 2001
So if I was a bartender with a strainer, how many bottles of GS would it take for me to get rich?

-MC

Mallow

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Jzero
It's funny b/c just this weekend my fiancee was telling me how she got sick after she drank a bunch of goldschlager followed by various and sundry other beverages, and blamed the 'schlager for making her sick b/c the gold flakes sped the absorption of alcohol so much.

That was the first I ever heard that little urban legend. I don't believe it. My freshman year in college, I drank 7 shots of 'schlager and I didn't feel any drunker any faster than I did when I drank 7 shots of some other liquor.
I'm glad my life experiences have not put me in a position to be able to compare how drunk 7 shots of different liquors made me at different times.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: MattCo
So if I was a bartender with a strainer, how many bottles of GS would it take for me to get rich?

-MC

If you strained out all the gold from GS that you served for the rest of your life, you might have a couple of grams. IIRC, there's some restaurant that covers some dish or drink that they serve with gold foil. There's a huge piece of gold foil, but incredibly incredibly thin. They showed how they pounded the foil between 2 layers, then split the layers into 1x1 pieces, and pounded them until they were big, then split them again and so on and so on, until they couldn't get it any thinner.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Mallow
Originally posted by: Jzero

I'm glad my life experiences have not put me in a position to be able to compare how drunk 7 shots of different liquors made me at different times.

You, my friend, have not lived!

Rogue

Banned
Jan 28, 2000
Originally posted by: Mill
Originally posted by: Mallow
Originally posted by: 911paramedic
Ummm, yeah. I sure hope you are joking.

Do you really think the FDA would allow it to be sold if that were the case?
chewing tobacco uses fiber glass particles to cut your lip in order to "facilitate" the product.

Not true. If you are going to be a Doctor you need to learn to research.

Damnit Mill! I was just headed there! :D

Together we should become the "fact police" akin to the annoying as hell "repost police" that run around here. ;)