Golden Retrievers and Hair Loss

kuk

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2000
My two and half year old golden retriever has been loosing a lot of hair lately. When we got her, we knew this would be a problem, but not to the extent that is now. We thought that there were periods of greater or lesser hair loss, but this has been a problem for months. It's possible to remove hair by just rubbing your hand against her back. She's far from getting bald (her coat is still very thick), but since we keep her inside, it's been a major problem when cleaning the house.

Any other golden owners have this problem with their pets? Could it be dermatite (skin problem), or is this completely normal?

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Take her to a groomer for a bath and a good brush every 3 month's and it will slow down greatly

My 8 year old does the same thing unless I have him groomed 3 or 4 times a year.

I just do petsmart for $39.95

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
It's hard to say just from a description. Call your vet and ask or take her in. My dog (a Beagle) only sheds heavily twice a year, but every dog is different.

psydancerqt

Golden Member
Mar 31, 2003
i have always had a black lab.. we've always had dog hair throughout the house! no one ever regularly bushes them... i'd suggest daily brushing when the seasons are changing or you notice more hair shedding. but weekly brushing should be good for the most part. have you been brushing your dog for the past 2 years?

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: kuk
My two and half year old golden retriever has been loosing a lot of hair lately. When we got her, we knew this would be a problem, but not to the extent that is now. We thought that there were periods of greater or lesser hair loss, but this has been a problem for months. It's possible to remove hair by just rubbing your hand against her back. She's far from getting bald (her coat is still very thick), but since we keep her inside, it's been a major problem when cleaning the house.

Any other golden owners have this problem with their pets? Could it be dermatite (skin problem), or is this completely normal?

There are specific brushes at pet stores designed to remove hair that has fallen out but is not off the dogs body yet, and I think it even pulls weak hair that is going to fall out soon also. This helped a lot when my famliy started to comb my dogs, but we all eventually got too lazy :D

I recommend giving them a Vitamin E. When we started giving them to our lab his coat started to become less coarse, and become more shiny. Imo it helped with the shedding an ever so slight amount also, but thats an open debate at home right now.

kuk

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2000
Evening bump.

Anyway, we're sending her to a "professional" bath at a vet, plus some grooming, nail cliping and paw hair trimming. Hope this helps.

Dragnov

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
I hate taking my Golden Retriever to get shot, baths, etc.

He's not very trained so he likes to piss and mark his territory whenever we take him from the house. :eek: