Golden Orb on Socket A ?

Cherub

Feb 1, 2001
I have always heard that the problem with using a Golden Orb on a Socket A cpu was that the mounting mechanism was no suited to the more fragile AMD cores, and people were crushing their cores. The Chrome and Super Orbs were then released with feet to present this problem.

My quetion is this: can a Golden Orb be used on a Socket A cpu in conjunction with a copper spacer? That is, will the Golden Orb physically attach to the socket?

(Please no recommendations on other heat sinks--I just need to get by at stock speeds for a couple weeks, until my local stores gets in some better ones).

TIA

Bartman39

Elite Member | For Sale/Trade
Jul 4, 2000
It can be done but dont blame anyone if you hear that fatal "crack" sound... :(

The only good Gorb is a "traded off" Gorb...

Cherub

Feb 1, 2001
Mikewarrior2:

Why would it still crack the core? Is it the twisting force? I though the point of spacers was to protect the core in exactly this situation. The use of a spacer with a heat sink with feet is fatal, certainly.

What I really want to know is whether the Golden Orb would fit on the socket properly, lining up with the hooks on the side.

I just need it to work so I won't have downtime when i change my S370 system over to an AMD setup.

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
Shims protect against vertical force, they do nothing for the horizontal, twisting motion that is why golden orbs crack t-bird/duron cores.

Then you run into the fact that shims tend to be a little bit shorter than full cpu core height.

So no, the shims arent' designed to protect against horizontal "shearing" forces. They are designed to prevent heatsink rocking and the vertical forces associated with clipping on a heatsink that isn't resting flat on the cpu core.

Mike