Golden Orb (FC-PGA) to loud, any way to make it more quiet

tck

Jan 27, 2000
I have a PIII FC-PGA 550@733 on a Trinity400, with a Golden Orb from 2CoolTek, Inc. I like it because the temperature always stays <34C (even after 3D bench over night), but the fan is the most noisy part in my system and in the evenings I fell it is quite disturbing. With the trinity I do not have control over the fan speed, it appears to run at full speed all the time. Is there a way to make it more quiet or an other good (and reasonably priced) cooler for FC-PGA.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank's

Klosters

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Candidly, you have a sweetheart cooling setup. I have the same CPU, at the same FSB and it's running at the lowest Core Voltage I can get from my P3B-F, which is 1.65v. My CPU temp at idle is ~23C. At full load it gets up to 46C, at least when Summer was in full bloom, so to speak. This is with the most efficient HSF available, an Alpha PEP66, using Arctic Silver. And a 38 cfm Delta CPU fan. You truly can't appreciate what a noisy fan is like until you hear this #*%!@*! screaming banshee.

Count your blessings. Complaining about the &quot;noise&quot; a GORB puts out is, how to put this politely...

eia430

Sep 7, 2000
tck there is a way to underdrive your fan... it is a bit of a risk and if you make a mistake you could fry your system. But I'll tell you how. The power connector on your computer (the thing that powers your hd, cdrom etc) has 4 wires, red 2 black and a yellow. The 2 blacks are ground the red is +5v and the yellow is +12v. Normaly your fan would be driven by +12v, one black and the yellow wire. You can drive it with +7v to reduce the speed (and airflow) to make it quieter. You take the wires from your fan that are black and red.. normaly the red goes to the yellow wire on the power connector and black goes to the black wire on the power connector. Switch it so the black fan wire goes to the RED connector wire and the red fan wire goes to the YELLOW connector wire. That will give you 12-5= +7v to the fan, since it is a lower voltage your fan will turn slower and quieter. Do it when your computer is powered down.... and be careful if either a bare yellow wire or bare red wire hits the black wire or any metal part of the case you will blow your powersupply and maybe everything else. Make sure that when you are done to go over the wiring a second time to make sure and that wires are bare to short out your system. Then power up your system, if you have done it properly your cpu fan will be running on +7v and will be much quieter. Good luck..:)

tck

Jan 27, 2000
Thank's for the advice. I think I will make a switch so that I can lower the voltage for non-heavy use in the evenings. I have the sensor of a modified CPU view (radio shack) attached to the heat sink next to the CPU so I can control the temperature. I bought the Trinity400 based on the Anandtech review. Unfortunately, as I had to discover after I bought the board, Tyan didn't include temperature monitoring in the retail version. I am also thinking of mounting a larger fan to blow directly on the CPU.

NOS440

Golden Member
Dec 27, 1999
Does the fan on your GBs have a ring that seats on the outer egde of the orb into the fins. I have one like that and another one I bought locally called a majesty that has a fan that mounts with screws into the base and it is almost silent compared to the one with the ring.

tck

Jan 27, 2000
Unfortunately I have the version with the ring. NOS440, could you give me the exact name of the one with the screws or a company where I could order it? Would be appreciated.

Thanks

NOS440

Golden Member
Dec 27, 1999
tck I can't remember the exact name but it was something like Majesty. I bought it at a local PC shop called digilink here in michigan. they have a web sight www.digilinkcomputers.com check it out you could email them for the name. I thru the box away that it was in good luck.

Update the name is MAJESTIC

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
I dunno how everyone gets the loud G'Orbs, mine is silent and it cool well runnin around 4600 RPM...

did i mention silent? i can't even hear it.

atomicbomberman

Golden Member
Aug 23, 2000
Well.. consider that my case have 4, yes, 4 sunon 80mm fan, 2 as intake and 2 as exhaust... the sound of the Gorb is really the least of my concern, I have the ring kind.. but it's still very quiet.. probably the most quiet fan I've had.. if you check the specs.. the Gorb actually ahve the best CFM-DB ratio you'll ever see.

HouRman

Mar 30, 2000
My computer is a raging inferno of noise. I've got your ring Gorb cooling my geforce, and it's gotta be the quietest fan in my case.

I'm running all generic fans I got from older cpus, and fry's.

most of them are Brushless ball bearing fans.

Antec Ks-282 case, lots of pores in that case, and I cut all the metal cages to maximize airflow. (no grills Cause I don't have pets)

1 120mm ball bearing fan trying to suck air from the front of the case in an attempt for intake. This thing sounds like a vacuum.

4x 80mm fans, 2 are ballbearing, I've got 2 fans blowing out at like 26cfm each, and one blowing into my PP303x ps. 2 fans hanging on my heatsink for my processor buzzing, and a gorb on my gpu.

2 very old 5400 rpm hard drives that spin noisily, and a 52x cd rom that likes revving up to annoy me.

It's so bad, that I called my house once, and could hear my computer was on through backround noise through the phone.

I should record a wave file of me turning my computer on and compare it with my vacuum cleaner.

HouRman

Mar 30, 2000
haha, to even out my cpu noise, Today I purchased 2 PPI 10 inch subs along with a PPI 2360 amp at AL and Ed's autosound.

My friend works there and he hooked me up. I'm gonna listen to some emimen and beastie boys through the 360 watt bridged (4ohms) dual 10 inch subs in my 4runner.

Then maybe after annoying all the cars around me, and killing my ears. My computer might sound quiet.

You know that guy that drives next to you and their bass is making your car shake and interrupting your thoughts... That's me baby!! yeah!!!

JETRep

Sep 12, 2000
2 10&quot;s and 360w? PPI is sweet stuff but come on now we aren't talking about earth shattering bass here.

eia430

Sep 7, 2000
hourman you said

&quot;You know that guy that drives next to you and their bass is making your car shake and interrupting your thoughts... That's me baby!! yeah!!! &quot;

You bother people and interrupt their thoughts and you are proud of that? Whatever floats your boat buddy. I just hope that your loud music doesen't bother some guy in another car that's already suicidal and has a .45 within easy reach. I was there about 9 years ago, I was that suicidal guy with a .45 within easy reach. Some guy (not in a car) ticked me off quite badly and I thought.. hey, why not take him with me? I would be doing the world a favor. The only thing that saved him was me thinking, if I do this I would be depriving him the opportunity to change. He will never know just how close he came,I am competitive in simulated combat shooting with the IPSC (I would not have missed) and I had nothing to loose. Just a friendly reminder to you bud... you never know how unstable the guy next to you is.