Gold from the Bargain Bin

AtaruMoroboshi18

Apr 1, 2005
Alright, I've been carousing the CD/DVD section of the local Goodwill and Salvation Army. Surprisingly, I turned up a huge mound of seriously good games that I got on the super cheap, $2.99 and below PER GAME! I'm posting my list of good games found in the bargain bins/Goodwill, here it is, a couple ones missed the last CD, I'll tell you which, all others have all the CDs to them:

Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
Doom 3
Totally Unreal Pack (Unreal Gold + Unreal Tourney GOTY edition + Extras CD)
Starcraft
Serious Sam: The First Encounter
Battlefield 1942: Deluxe Edition
Zork: Nemesis
Splinter Cell
Age of Empires II + "The Conquerors" Expansion
Painkiller
Simcity 3000
Thief: Gold
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II + "Mysteries of the Sith" Expansion
Dungeon Siege II + "Broken World" Expansion
Delta Force 2
Delta Force Land Warrior
Riven: The Sequel to Myst
The Sims
The Sims 2 (No Disk 1 Stupid mistake I know, oh well)
Descent II
Stonekeep
Duke Nukem 3D
Masters of Orion II
The Oregon Trail
Jurassic Park: Trespasser (I don't care what you say, it's so bad it's fun)

Huge list huh? Every one of them was gotten for $2.99 or less. Online isn't the only place to find awesome deals if you keep your eyes open for them. Check out your local Goodwill/Salvation Army/Used whatever store and see if you turn up the same results or post your finds here if you've already been doing that!

Last edited:

AtaruMoroboshi18

Apr 1, 2005
How are you going to find the time play all those games?

Excellent find.

I'll try to find the time, this was multiple visits across maybe the past month and a half. I'm currently playing the heck out of Stonekeep and I'll probably start playing Jedi Knight soon. I'd love to hear what other people have gotten from the bargain bin or maybe I've given some of you inspiration to check out the local used goods shop. Either way, I've got lots of game to keep me going :).

Last edited:

AtaruMoroboshi18

Apr 1, 2005
They sell everything. From used underwear to childrens books.

They also sell AC Transit buses.

But seriously, I've only found a few games there, Descent II and Duke Nukem 3d to name a couple of good ones. You've got to sort through their rack of ancient music/self help cd collections and you might find something worthwhile.

Edit: Im serious about this, just check out a Goodwill/Salvation Army/equivalent store and see what kind of gems/gold you find in the CD/DVD section. You'd be surprised what's lurking there waiting to be bought :)

Last edited:

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
They sell everything. From used underwear to childrens books.

I had no idea. The last experience I had with them is when I tried to drop off 6 30 gallon bags of clothes that a tenant left behind. They wouldn't take it because I didn't wash it and that's the last interaction I had with them.

I guess I'll be stopping in to check out those deals. I'd kill for a copy of Zork: Nemesis since I never had a chance to play the last version of the great underground empire :)

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
For about 5 years Big Lots was THE ultimate bargain bin PC game store.

It seems to be drying up though.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
A few years ago I picked up a copy of Chrono Trigger for the SNES, it had the maps, manual and box as well, everything was in good condition except the box which had some heavy ware on it. I paid $4-5 for it I think lol

Sold that same game a few months ago for $75, thank you Salvation Army!

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I had no idea. The last experience I had with them is when I tried to drop off 6 30 gallon bags of clothes that a tenant left behind. They wouldn't take it because I didn't wash it and that's the last interaction I had with them.

I guess I'll be stopping in to check out those deals. I'd kill for a copy of Zork: Nemesis since I never had a chance to play the last version of the great underground empire :)

FWIW, the co-author of Zork posts on an EQ server board and plays WoW.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
FWIW, the co-author of Zork posts on an EQ server board and plays WoW.

That's pretty cool, does he use the Zork name? I wonder why an obvious great story teller didn't carry on to other projects after Infocom went away.

I was doing a search on Zork and found someone made a Neverwinter Nights 2 mod for it: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2ModulesEnglish.Detail&id=378 I don't have NW2 so I can't try it out, but I'm thinking of picking it up as it looks pretty cool.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
That's pretty cool, does he use the Zork name? I wonder why an obvious great story teller didn't carry on to other projects after Infocom went away.

I was doing a search on Zork and found someone made a Neverwinter Nights 2 mod for it: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2ModulesEnglish.Detail&id=378 I don't have NW2 so I can't try it out, but I'm thinking of picking it up as it looks pretty cool.

I thought so:) He uses a handle that as far as I know is unrelated to Zork, but he has mentioned grues in his message board sig.

For whatever reason, he's gotten into IT after Infocom, not entertainment. I toild him I thought there could still be a market for Infocom type games, but he said he thinks text interactive fiction has no market.

He's more of a moderate right-winger politically and I'd have to tell him how wrong he was over and over on the political forum I used to participate in a decade ago before AT.

AtaruMoroboshi18

Apr 1, 2005
Just got a bunch of PSX games:

Tomb Raider 1
Syphon Filter 1
Tekken 3
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

PC:

Quake 4: DVD Edition
Heroes of Might and Magic II

AtaruMoroboshi18

Apr 1, 2005
Awesome! I must have got really lucky! I found Chrono Cross at the Goodwill! YAY! I've never played it so I hope it's comparable to Chrono Trigger, CT was my favorite game of all time!

AtaruMoroboshi18

Apr 1, 2005
Just got another couple of games:

Myst III Exile
Myst: Uru Ages Beyond Myst

If I keep this up I'll eventually have all the Myst games...except for Myst 1, they have a lot of them over there and for good reason, you try it once and you've tried it a million times...