Going to your boss's holiday party...

Parasitic

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2002
So my boss sent out an invite to people in the group to his house for a holiday party, and if I went should I bring him a gift?

If so, what should I get him?

I was thinking of maybe a bottle of wine, but I have no idea what's acceptable as a gift.

I really need ATOT's collective minds to help me on this one.

nwfsnake

Feb 28, 2003
The smart worker will get the Boss's wife a gift, or something they can use together. Of course, that assumes he is married. Scores much bigger brownie points! ;)

SaoFeng

Oct 25, 2006
Any decent wine should be fine...

or bring him a bottle of tequila and do body shots!

xochi

Jan 18, 2000

chances are high that he does not expect or even want a gift, just spreading some christmas cheer with a party.

but if you feel obligated a 8.99 bottle of merlot would be acceptable, a bottle of rum/vodka/crown royal would be apprciated.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Parasitic
I was thinking of a small bottle of Johhnie Walker...is that too much?

Does he like Johnie Walker?

I'd go with the no gift suggestion. Or ask a few co-workers if a gift is customary. I've gone to a boss's house for a Christmas party and no gifts were exchanged.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
What do you bring when you go to any other party (the more adult kind, if its with my buddies, its mad dog and colt 45 all the way)? Contributing something like a bottle of wine or some cookies you made are usually safe bets. For one, its normal to bring these things to any party so it doesnt look out of the ordinary, and second, since it happens so often, no one's going to look at you like a kiss ass for doing it even if they didn't bring anything.

Just don't break the bank on anything. Think a $20 bottle of wine or something homemade.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Yea, just head to costco and grab any of the larger bottles of voda for like 20 bucks.

For any party, I try to bring something.

oboeguy

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 1999
More important question: my Boss is coming to my holiday party, but will he bring a bonus? ;)

Parasitic

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2002
Originally posted by: sjwaste
What do you bring when you go to any other party (the more adult kind, if its with my buddies, its mad dog and colt 45 all the way)? Contributing something like a bottle of wine or some cookies you made are usually safe bets. For one, its normal to bring these things to any party so it doesnt look out of the ordinary, and second, since it happens so often, no one's going to look at you like a kiss ass for doing it even if they didn't bring anything.

Just don't break the bank on anything. Think a $20 bottle of wine or something homemade.

I dont bake, so I guess a bottle of wine it is?
What's a good $20 wine?

mrkun

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2005
A box of chocolates is always a safe bet as well and you know the wife will eat them.