Going to the gym for the first time tomorrow.

Nerd

Banned
Mar 6, 2001
What are some things I should do?

I'm trying to lose weight, I will be taking two xenadrines before I go. I will probably really hyped up.

I have lifted some weights in my lifetime, but not really. My arms always get sore and stuff. What are some things to do? Should I run on the threadmill? Help me out, thanks!

Nutdotnet

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2000
Yeah dude, run the treadmill.....run the treadmill......run the treadmill......run the treadmil.....

Oh yeah, and eat right too.

It is going to take a lot of work (depending on how heavy you are)....GOOD LUCK!

Nerd

Banned
Mar 6, 2001
How much pounds is it possible to lose in one night?

Xenadrine really gets you going. It has ephedrine in it. Gets you really hyper and stuff.

I'm 200 lbs, plan to drop to 160 at least. 150 at the lowest.

Presence

Golden Member
May 8, 2001
Take it slow, light and easy. Do not try to max out right way...for the first month or so do a total body workout doing just two sets for each bodypart. What happens to most people is they go working out thinking they will see results in like a month, the fact is you wont but you will build up core strength after the first month or so you can then split your workout for variety. Do not push yourself too hard as this will only hurt you or you might be discouraged when you dont see results right away.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
To make the most of your workout, you must grunt/groan as loudly as you can with each rep.

Presence

Golden Member
May 8, 2001
Fogot to add. Workout one everyother day or so. If you are still sore rest some more. No need to rush.

xyion

Jan 20, 2001

<< I'm trying to lose weight, I will be taking two xenadrines before I go. >>

if this is the first time you are taking Xenadrines, don't take 2. Follow the instructions on the bottle.

<< What are some things to do? Should I run on the threadmill? >>

Do a mix of cardio and weights. I lift weights for about 45-50 minutes, and then hit cardio for 20 minutes. Lift weights every other day, cardio every day.

Good luck.

- xyion

Nerd

Banned
Mar 6, 2001
What is that thing called where you can take it after a work out and then your body wont be sore. Like it heals the muscle from ripping so that when if you were to go back to the gym tomorrow, you could work out fine with no soreness.

Nerd

Banned
Mar 6, 2001
I'm gonna go to golds gym, with my girlfriends girlfriend and boyfriend. I dont know If im going for sure now, but I plan on going. I'm kinda shame yah know. I mean I get intimidated when there are so many ppl just watching you or it feels as if they're watching you. Oh well, I'll try.

NateSLC

Feb 28, 2001
I started working out with 3 days of cardio and 2 of strength training... They have some cool cardio machines that will measure your heartrate as you go and keep it at the target. When I first started, all I had to do was look at the machine and I'd hit my target heartrate... Now it takes awhile.

It's easier to overdo strength training than cardio. I'm not trying to build super muscles or anything, so I try to keep that sore feeling limited to a day afterwards. If I'm sore for a couple days then I know I worked it too hard and I back off a bit the next time.

Just keep at it! Those first few weeks are the worst, then it's all good!

rmblam

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2000
&quot;What is that thing called where you can take it after a work out and then your body wont be sore. Like it heals the muscle from ripping so that when if you were to go back to the gym tomorrow, you could work out fine with no soreness.&quot;

Muscle soreness is normal. You can not build stronger muscles without the soreness. As you strain the muscle tissue you break the &quot;fibers&quot;. As your body repairs the tissue it makes it &quot;stronger&quot;. Don't overdo it. Work out with lighter weights and work your way up. Give yourself a day or two in between heavy workouts. Work the upper body hard one day and the lower the next if you want to work out daily; then alternate.

You can take some ibuprofen, naproxen, or another anti-inflammatory for the soreness.

Stay away from the stimulants also. You are going to give yourself a stroke or a heart attack.

my $0.02

spamboy

Banned
Aug 28, 2000
it's really easy to push too hard...
you will not lose any weight the first night, you probably will not lose anything the first week. Also remember, muscle is heavier than fat. you could look great still weigh 200...

KevinH

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2000
Nerd no one's watching you dude. All the guy's are ogling the good looking girls and all the good looking girls are busy working out.

Jokeram

Golden Member
May 9, 2001
take it easy and get your body into a shape before you start exerting yourself too much. do a lot of running and crunchs.. they will help with the weight.. lifting weights will help convert mass into muscle but don't over do it..

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
perfectly said. I lost 30lbs in 3 months, while gaining about 10-15lbs of muscle. workout Mon, Wed, and Fri, and run Tues, Thurs, Sat. Eat like a pig on Sunday :)

<< &quot;What is that thing called where you can take it after a work out and then your body wont be sore. Like it heals the muscle from ripping so that when if you were to go back to the gym tomorrow, you could work out fine with no soreness.&quot;

Muscle soreness is normal. You can not build stronger muscles without the soreness. As you strain the muscle tissue you break the &quot;fibers&quot;. As your body repairs the tissue it makes it &quot;stronger&quot;. Don't overdo it. Work out with lighter weights and work your way up. Give yourself a day or two in between heavy workouts. Work the upper body hard one day and the lower the next if you want to work out daily; then alternate.

You can take some ibuprofen, naproxen, or another anti-inflammatory for the soreness.

Stay away from the stimulants also. You are going to give yourself a stroke or a heart attack.

my $0.02
>>

Demosthenes

Jul 23, 2000
Muscle soreness is exactly what you're looking for to tell you that you've worked out just hard enough.. I love it.

dcdomain

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Stretch before and AFTER your workout! During wrestling season I would stretch all day long, walking down the hallways I'd pause to stretch something, I'd stretch before taking my seat, before workouts, during workouts, after workouts, before bed... ALL THE TIME...

It'll help with the soreness. And yes, you probably won't lose much weight for the first week or so, don't get discouraged. Checking your weight everyday after a workout won't do much. Heck the weight you lose that one day you'll probably gain back right after you drink your liquids. Over the long run, if you keep it up, results should show...

Emos

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2000

<< Stretch before and AFTER your workout! >>

What he said! :) Stretching is very important...it'll really reduce the chance of an injury. As others have stated don't do full-bore into it...take your time and let your body adjust to the new activity.
Take your time trying to take off the weight...I started working out about 7 or 8 years ago when I was at least 50 lbs overweight. It took me close to a year to shed the 50 lbs of fat but I estimated I also gained a good 15-20 lbs of muscle in the process too!

One thing I may recommend is to NOT be a slave to the weight scale...muscle and fat tissue have vastly different densities. You can take two men with the same weight and height but they can look very different if one is in shape and the other is not. Gauge your progress by how your clothes fit you and remember...the mirror never lies! ;)

EDIT: Oh, and start eating some clean protein and drink PLENTY of water...that'll help out a lot too!

StormRider

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2000
Make sure you go to the exercise machines where you can get a good view of a girl's butt as she is working out.

Then as soon as you get an erection, quickly head into the men's shower room to show off.

That's all the advice I can think of!