Going to the dentist to get a crown (front tooth)..what to expect?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by LostHiWay, Jan 31, 2004.

1. LostHiWay

LostHiWay Golden Member

The most I've ever had done at the dentist is getting my wisdom teeth pulled, plus the usual cleaning and 1 or 2 cavities.

My front tooth was damaged a few years ago in TaeKwonDo...it's fully intact it just a little darker than the rest of my teeth. I finally got an estimate for getting a crown and my out of pocket cost would be $300. Insurance is picking up about $900. Does this seem about right? What should I expect when I go? Also does anyone have any experience with American Dental Centers? It's one of the few places on my insurance list.

2. DurocShark

DurocShark Lifer

pain

3. PowerMacG5

PowerMacG5 Diamond Member

Was just going to say that.

4. Vic

Vic Elite Member

Getting a crown doesn't hurt much. $900 seems a bit high if it's a crown-only job, my dentist only charges $700. Are they doing a root canal and post too? If so, then $900 would be cheap as hell.

If it's a crown only, then the dentist will numb you up, then grind the tooth down to a little nub. Then he'll hold a mold in your mouth for a full 5 minutes to take an impression (my least favorite part), then he'll apply a temporary crown (be careful with that). The impression will go a lab where they will make the permanent crown, you go back to your dentist about a week later and he puts it in, all done.

Getting a root canal and post involves all the above plus the dentist scrapes out the tooth's root and installs a small metal post in the middle of the tooth that the crown will attach to. I wouldn't call that process particularly painful, but it sure as hell ain't pleasant.

5. FoBoT

FoBoT No Lifer

you might have to get a root canal before the crown is set, that is fun

the shots to deaden it are fun, it normally feels like the needle is entering either your sinus cavity or your brain , either way the shots are very painful

6. LostHiWay

LostHiWay Golden Member

I need a post but not a root canal. I had that done a long time ago...I just never went back to get the post. Will the temporary crown be noticable in my mouth?

7. Vic

Vic Elite Member

Not particularly, they just tend to be a bit fragile, and you want to be careful not to break it.
    If the tooth has already been root-canal'ed, then I assume you have some type of temporary on it already.
    $900 sounds like a reasonable price for that work. I don't know anything about that dental center.

edit: When talking about dental pain, bear in mind that I might have a different view than other people because of the amount of work I have had done, starting with my first set of braces when I was only 7. I just call it "the chair" and grin-and-bear it.

8. brigden

brigden Diamond Member

PREPARE TO DIE!!!!!!11!!one

9. NickelTitanium

NickelTitanium Senior member

Seems fair. However, I practice in Los Angeles. That price is probably with porcelain margins.

10. paulney

paulney Diamond Member

Here, in Bay Area, a crown with an out of network dentist (and most of them are because insurance pays too little) will be around $1000. My insruance pays 50% with an out-of-network, and 60% with in-network dentist.

Major $$$