Going to San Diego for Memorial Day - suggestions where to stay/what to do?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
My top 3 best things Ive done while in SD were...walking around Gaslamp area after 7...lots of cool hole in the wall bars with live music...take a tour of the Midway. Its spectacular! Plan for about 4 hours. And last but not least, walk around old San Diego...lots of history there, and a ton of GREAT food.

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
LOL crbunny. No way, I'm going to be scoring, not jacking!

Thanks blackangst1! Definitely staying in the gaslamp district, will definately check out Midway and old San Diego! Now the only question is where to stay (what hotel in particular). Thanks!

x26

Sep 17, 2007
LOL crbunny. No way, I'm going to be scoring, not jacking!

Thanks blackangst1! Definitely staying in the gaslamp district, will definately check out Midway and old San Diego! Now the only question is where to stay (what hotel in particular). Thanks!

I always stay at the Hyatt Regency Marina Bay or the Marriott Marina Bay next door. Love them both.

If you stay at Marriott get a high-floor balcony room facing North Island NAS and Coronado. Bring binoculars to watch Seals (Navy that is) pull People behind their Fast Rafts tied up--they look like Mannequins but they are real People...

I like Miguel's(Michael's) across from Hotel De Coronado for top-shelf marquaritas and Mexican Food--go early it gets crowded.

Make sure to park along side of Hotel Del and enjoy their beach and some of the Jets landing a NI NAS.
You can also park across the Bay from Hyatt at Grocery Store parking lot and take Free Gas-powered bus around Coronado.

Have Fun--Don't get Raped!! :rolleyes:

Paladin

Oct 22, 2001
Hopefully you'll avoid the May gray, and June gloom. They are the 2 cloudiest months here and can be really cool and drizzly. It can be hit and miss.