Going to Maui - Should I bring cash?

ivol07

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2002
I'm leaving for Maui on Saturday. I am debating on whether or not to bring all my spending money in cash or not. I don't think I'm comfortable carrying all that dough in my wallet, or leaving it in the hotel room. Should I get travelers checks? What do other people usually do? I don't go on to many trips.

AstIsis

Jan 18, 2003
I use not only travelers cheques but also take at least one Credit Card. The most I ever carry in cash is $200.00

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: ivol07
I'm leaving for Maui on Saturday. I am debating on whether or not to bring all my spending money in cash or not. I don't think I'm comfortable carrying all that dough in my wallet, or leaving it in the hotel room. Should I get travelers checks? What do other people usually do? I don't go on to many trips.

Travelers checks...seriously

Travellers Cheques are your bestest friend. If they get stolen you're not SOL.

ivol07

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Moralpanic
Definitely get traveller's checks.

How do I get these? Just go to the bank? Are they used like cash?

edit: sorry for stupid questions, but never had the need to use them before.

Some banks give them for free...others charge something like 1% for them. Even if you have to pay, it's a good investment.

EDIT: order them here. It's a flat $15 fee per order, up to $1000

Hammer

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
i know i should take traveler's check but i never do. i've never had money lost or stolen though.

Occifer

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2002

I believe if you are a member of AAA you can get them free at your local office.

ivol07

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Occifer

I believe if you are a member of AAA you can get them free at your local office.

You are correct! AAA Link
Thanks for all of your help!

I think I'm going to bring a combination of cash, Cheques, and ATM/Credit card. Hopefully everything will go well.

btw, have fun! Maui's my favorite of the islands I've been to in Hawaii.

Thanks. This is my first time, I'm really excited. Do you recommend anything in particular that you think is a must see?

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
I went to Maui.... it is the best place I have ever been.

Like everyone already said, there are tons of ATMs. Just keep it in the bank and withdrawl it when you need it. (or just use a check card or credit card for everything)

Here are some of my pics... (not all are from Hawaii)

ivol07

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2002
Originally posted by: edro13
I went to Maui.... it is the best place I have ever been.

Like everyone already said, there are tons of ATMs. Just keep it in the bank and withdrawl it when you need it. (or just use a check card or credit card for everything)

Here are some of my pics... (not all are from Hawaii)

Nice site.

You write, or you just like graffiti art?

L

Lola

Plus, check and see if your hotel has a safe in each room.
BTW, have a great time and take lots of pics!:D

Occifer

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Occifer

You are correct! AAA Link
Thanks for all of your help!

I think I'm going to bring a combination of cash, Cheques, and ATM/Credit card. Hopefully everything will go well.

btw, have fun! Maui's my favorite of the islands I've been to in Hawaii.

Thanks. This is my first time, I'm really excited. Do you recommend anything in particular that you think is a must see?

Where are you staying? You must go to Lahaina and check out all the women! There is all kinds of shopping there and that always brings out some hotties.

From what I remeber there is not a lot of good surfing there, but you might try it out anyways.

GroundZero

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
send it all to me, i'll take good care of it while you are away :D

travelers checks or if you have a visa or mastercard debit card you can leave it in your account.