Going to get close to a civil war

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I believe the intent is to prevent GOP congress members from entering the floor armed.

They can still bring canes, though, I guess?

Edit - though explaining it seems to spoil the allusion...

Hmmm...
The beating nearly killed Sumner and it contributed significantly to the country's polarization over the issue of slavery. It has been considered symbolic of the "breakdown of reasoned discourse"[1] and the use of violence that eventually led to the Civil War.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Uh, OK, I don't know what movies you are watching or where your fantasies are going. Good luck with that.
When I was a freshman in high school a classmate's parents and some of her neighbors were killed by another, crazy, neighbor. They were sitting in the living room watching prime time TV and he shot both of her parents through the sliding glass doors. She and her sibling duck and covered; I don't think he wanted to kill the kids, fortunately. He started with them, but he did not stop there, he then went to the next house, and killed and wounded people there. He shot neighbors coming out to see what was happening. Fortunately, another neighbor fatally shot him after 5-7 dead and wounded. This was 1980 in Cocoa, Fl.

I was working EMS when William Cruise had his cheese fall off his cracker over, if iirc, literally, kids in his yard. He did not stop there he went to the Publix plaza on Palm Bay road next and killed cops I worked with. And of course shot others. My brother and sister-in-law were working EMS that shift, and became state heroes. Their picture with the Governor was the front page of the Today newspaper the day they attended the ceremony. It was a national story back then.

My point? I live in crazy central. You know Florida man? I was dealing with Florida man before it was cool. Did I mention my bro and I ended up in ditch on the side of U.S. 1 when the passenger in a green, rusty, Galaxy 500, fired a shot at our vehicle? All because we were evidently going tooo slow down south Tropical Trail for their liking. Only a surfboard was injured, and yes police were called and involved. Nothing ever came of it that either of us heard.

I live by - better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. You do you, I respect you and your views, but don't come at my with that fantasy horseshit. Because while I pray to no gods, that old expression about "there but for the grace of god, go I", resonated with me on some level. Having been shot at, had my family members shot at while treating victims, and classmates become orphans overnight, I do not fantasize about this stuff. On the contrary, I dread it.

Here is Cruise, Florida Man https://murderpedia.org/male.C/c/cruse-william.htm

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
I find it staggering that the JCs need to put out a statement essentially reminding the troops of their oath. They must be worried. This is simply unprecedented.

Where are all those people who said the military would hold steadfast? We're already starting to see signs and indications that there are likely some deep divisions that are about to become painfully evident.

• Wow
Reactions: cytg111

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
When I was a freshman in high school a classmate's parents and some of her neighbors were killed by another, crazy, neighbor. They were sitting in the living room watching prime time TV and he shot both of her parents through the sliding glass doors. She and her sibling duck and covered; I don't think he wanted to kill the kids, fortunately. He started with them, but he did not stop there, he then went to the next house, and killed and wounded people there. He shot neighbors coming out to see what was happening. Fortunately, another neighbor fatally shot him after 5-7 dead and wounded. This was 1980 in Cocoa, Fl.

I was working EMS when William Cruise had his cheese fall off his cracker over, if iirc, literally, kids in his yard. He did not stop there he went to the Publix plaza on Palm Bay road next and killed cops I worked with. And of course shot others. My brother and sister-in-law were working EMS that shift, and became state heroes. Their picture with the Governor was the front page of the Today newspaper the day they attended the ceremony. It was a national story back then.

My point? I live in crazy central. You know Florida man? I was dealing with Florida man before it was cool. Did I mention my bro and I ended up in ditch on the side of U.S. 1 when the passenger in a green, rusty, Galaxy 500, fired a shot at our vehicle? All because we were evidently going tooo slow down south Tropical Trail for their liking. Only a surfboard was injured, and yes police were called and involved. Nothing ever came of it that either of us heard.

I live by - better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. You do you, I respect you and your views, but don't come at my with that fantasy horseshit. Because while I pray to no gods, that old expression about "there but for the grace of god, go I", resonated with me on some level. Having been shot at, had my family members shot at while treating victims, and classmates become orphans overnight, I do not fantasize about this stuff. On the contrary, I dread it.

Here is Cruise, Florida Man https://murderpedia.org/male.C/c/cruse-william.htm
OK, thanks for the update. I was just saying that I didn't get where you are coming from and you sure cleared that up. And I gotta say, if I'd been through that stuff I'd for sure have 1/2 dozen guns and ammo and be ready to use it if necessary. Sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean to. I have never before encountered any one in life or online with such a harrowing set of tales explaining their sense of vulnerability to lethal weapons.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I find it staggering that the JCs need to put out a statement essentially reminding the troops of their oath. They must be worried. This is simply unprecedented.

Where are all those people who said the military would hold steadfast? We're already starting to see signs and indications that there are likely some deep divisions that are about to become painfully evident.
I wouldn't take that action of theirs as meaning a whole lot. If it improves the situation in the next few weeks, it was a wise thing to do. I think it's apt to do that. We saw 6 days ago that some law enforcement were complicit. They should lose their jobs. It doesn't necessarily mean anything other than that, but that is baked into the pie here.

Motostu

Oct 5, 2020

I think it was a not-so-subtle way of getting them to think about the repercussions of breaking the oath; to make them think twice before doing something stupid. The Army also sent a message to civilians/troops along the same vein, and added the reminder that the military has no role in determining the outcome of elections. Any soldier that lends any support to the rioters/insurrectionists would be in some deep shit. UCMJ is no joke.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
OK, thanks for the update. I was just saying that I didn't get where you are coming from and you sure cleared that up. And I gotta say, if it'd been through that stuff I'd for sure have 1/2 dozen guns and ammo and be ready to use it if necessary. Sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean to. I have never before encountered any one in life or online with such a harrowing set of tales explaining their sense of vulnerability to lethal weapons.
Nah man, we're good, no offense taken. And I do understand your position, the internet tough guy thing can be tiresome. And it's not like I did tours in the middle east or have to walk home living in the projects in Chicago or something. I have just had enough of a up close and personal perspective on how guns can take away people in your monkey-sphere. Or make things go from normal to WTF in nothing flat. And of course I am surrounded by lunatics. If you ever wondered why all those infamous serial killers always seemed to pass through Florida at some point, don't. The crazy is in the water here, and we are chock-a-block with that.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Let's think about this. Is Civil War really going to take place, or is this media hype?

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Let's think about this. Is Civil War really going to take place, or is this media hype?
The Trump 'Patriots' were expecting the military to side with them, and not uphold the Constitution and the law, and that didn't happen, of course.
Yaknow, I'm pro-2a as anyone, but for whatever reason these idiots think the whole of the Constitution is the 2a, and ignore all the parts where the real Patriots fought to rid themselves of a mad king, not install one.

But to answer your question, it's not hype. The oh-so-patriotic traitors have been shut down.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Before Donald not many people would have believed all this shit could possibly happen. It did happen.
Maybe the media encouraged it by sensationalizing everything but it happened for real. Dont assume another attempt at war is impossible.
Not believing in crazy stuff is part of how we got this way.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Before Donald not many people would have believed all this shit could possibly happen. It did happen.
Maybe the media encouraged it by sensationalizing everything but it happened for real. Dont assume another attempt at war is impossible.
Not believing in crazy stuff is part of how we got this way.
The FBI is said to be all over this thing. I hope that's so true. To me, the most dangerous time is the next week. Once Biden's in there, it's way different. They should move to impeach immediately, try to expedite the Senate on it.

Reactions: Captante

NWRMidnight

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Many people don't seem to understand that Civil War is citizen against citizen. Not citizen against the government or Military. Yes the government and military are involved, but a Civil War is still citizen against citizen. That is why it is vital how our government maneuvers on how they handle everything that is happening because when the Trumpets can't get to government officials, they will turn their anger on the citizens that voted them in and/or don't align with their ideals. It's been happening before 2020, I've had first hand experience with a previous violent neighbor who attacked people because they where liberals and not Trump Supporters. I'm thankful he is not longer here.

Reactions: ivwshane

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Being ready means being sane, it doesn't mean having a gun.
But when you come up against some insane and armed, you might question if you are 'ready'.

I carry when I leave the house, I have readily available loaded guns in the house.
I am too old to fight or run, but too young to die, and I don't want my last thought to be "I wish I had my gun with me".

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
This shit is going much deeper than anyone even suspects. This is far more than a demonstration that turned into a full on riot. It is a plot to overthrow the government with planning and approvals all the way to the top. Perhaps the "shadow government" trump keeps eluding to.

We know that Trump has been installing his people throughout the government, in every agency and the Pentagon. The republican party has recruited and got other agents elected. Those that come immediately to mind are Madison Cawthorn, from my district in NC, Boebert from Colorado. Inside agents. 1/6 also proved that law enforcement and military also have traitors in their ranks, but they are just home grown not plants.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
tbh the only place I've seen it said that civil war is gonna take place in the USA again is right here in P&N. Where in the media are you seeing this?

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Seriously, considering they only had a few hundred from all over the country for the major one in DC on the 6th that the president explicitly endorsed. We’ll see though, I’m happy to watch many more get identified and arrested.

I think what we are likely to see is more Bundy type actions, which don't take a lot of people or planning. Eg taking over the wildlife refuge.

Question is how will Fux cover it? Hailing the seditionists as heroes and Patriots, or the criminals they are?

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
No there won't be civil war. Unfortunately, terrorism is likely though.

Much could be done to defuse it.

But that would require GOP members to unanimously stand up for Truth and Justice. Just for a little while.

Unanimously Impeach Trump. Unanimously declare the elections free and far, and deny Trumps lies.

But that won't happen because some GOP members are selfish beyond the understanding of normal human beings. They are sociopaths.

They wouldn't change their brand of toothpaste to reduce terrorism in the USA. Because changing their toothpaste is a minor inconvenience to them personally, and terrorism will effect other people. Heck they might even be able to fund raise off the terrorism. So win-win.