Going to get close to a civil war

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Is the US going to be the new Israel or other similar country beseiged by ongoing, random terrorist acts? This the new normal I guess? Do they have the will to carry this out for 10+ years and slowly grind away at us until the current government gives in or worse?
Israel is under attack from multiple outside nations.

America is about to be split in half. Situation is slightly different and I hope doesnt go on for 600 years.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I live in South Jersey. About 2 hrs from Trenton. I had a discussion with a coworker about safety, and how far away we are from the capitol. Then it dawned on us that many many people in my area are Trump loyalist. I just saw a pickup truck with a Trump flag today. This is what we are dealing with, and it's scary. Your neighbor who teaches highschool could be a Trump, Q conspiracy fan.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Glad they are doing this but this is not good

What's not being said out loud is that there is a credible threat that the military will be involved in a coup. this is something that should have started months ago. I think those that are willing to jeopardize our government and democracy are at least 5 steps ahead of those that are trying to stop an insurgency/coup.

FBI today didn't mention AT ALL what they are doing in terms of being on top of any future threats...o.m...g.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
I wouldn't leap to conclusions. It's just an abundance of caution after the Capital Attack.

Remember the paranoia after 9/11. Not everything they check is a credible threat.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm pretty much ignorant beyond that post I made...what are you talking about, lol? I've fired it a few times and have been pretty negligent about cleaning it regularly, but that's about it, haha.
I'm sure you seen enough murders on TV and the movies to know how to use a gun.
Democrats stole the election. China owns Biden. Etc.

If you think there isn't a problem, you've obviously been deeply isolated from the alt-reality bubble. I honestly don't know how many millions are part of it, but the problem is that they are a religion. Everything is faith based. And their purpose is to seize political power by any means. Essentially we are in the position of Mecca before it fell to Mohamed. To keep the parallel, we just cast them out to Medina this weekend.

It ain't over. It's not even about Trump. The human condition is just susceptible to delusion and acts of violence against "others".
My point wasn't that there isn't a problem here. My point (and you evidently don't disagree) is that their grievances are made up, not based on fact, on reality. Even the civil war had a basis in fact. The south was on the wrong side of history because slavery is morally reprehensible in the extreme. However, the economy of the south was dependent on it, so eliminating slavery put them in a pickle. However, insisting that a Republican resides in the White House regardless of the will of the American people as vested and guaranteed by law is not based on economic necessity... unless you say that policies of the Democratic Party make that so. Is it the foot dragging because of environmental policies? Partly, yes. Is it regulation? Partly. Is it the fact that Democrats want to tax the rich? BINGO! Mostly it is just that, when you pull back the veil.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
At this point, I do really wish I had a gun and was more well versed in it.
*sigh*
As the lyrics to the Cyprus Hill song so correctly observed 'When the the shit goes down, you better be ready. When the shit goes down!"

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
What if John Titor was real after all? :p And the timeframe and exact circumstances and other details were intentionally obfuscated for obvious reasons. Or he disrupted the timeline but not enough to alter events, simply shift the focal points and players.

Of course I am being silly, and well aware of it. The fact is, the same thing I said about him back in the early 2000s when it happened is playing out. I said it was the same fantasy talk the militia types engaged in, when I was hanging out with my friend while he was running a gun store. The assholes that attacked the capital are of the same ilk that that talked all that mad shit to us. This is what happens when anger based LARP goes too far. I just hoped I was right all a long that they will puss out when it comes time to leave behind their comfortable lives and nut up.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Being ready means being sane, it doesn't mean having a gun.
You seem confused by the definition of what shit going down is. Being armed will be far more effective than being sane, should such a time arrive. ;)

Reactions: MtnMan

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Guns aren't hard, there's nothing to it. Gun, bullets, safety. Aim, fire. Practice some, you know about the kick. BFD. I mean you can have an IQ of 60 and master a gun in less time it takes to make breakfast.

You can take a gun safety course so you know about laws, protocols, best practices.

I used 22s in the boy scouts. I was a marksman after 5 minutes as a tenderfoot. I've never held or fired a pistol, but I'm confident if I had one in hand, loaded with the safety off I could kill a person at 10 feet no problem.

I do not own a gun. I don't know of anyone in my family, either side who has a gun. I suppose some do (maybe not), but I come from the kind of people who don't talk about such things. I also live where the likelihood of civil war happening here is very very remote. Right wing nut jobs are very rare around here.

I'm not worried about the technicalities - I have good dexterity and coordination, am not clumsy, and my IQ is in the top 1 percentile. But I am just 4 years removed from being so depressed I nearly drank myself to death and had to go to detox. I go into deep melancholy periods still. It would just not be a good idea to have a gun in the house in case something triggers a deep depression again.

Reactions: Muse and cytg111

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Actually, if I was you, you being in a MAGA neighborhood, I'd get some MAGA hats, maybe a trump flag ... Juuuust in case I needed to go incognito.

Reactions: soundforbjt

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I'm not worried about the technicalities - I have good dexterity and coordination, am not clumsy, and my IQ is in the top 1 percentile. But I am just 4 years removed from being so depressed I nearly drank myself to death and had to go to detox. I go into deep melancholy periods still. It would just not be a good idea to have a gun in the house in case something triggers a deep depression again.
Everything in the verse is them odds man, odds of needing a gun within the next couple of months vs. offing your self with said gun in same time timeframe... Still both odds may be under the threshold of giving a shit enough to do something about it. shrugs.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Actually, if I was you, you being in a MAGA neighborhood, I'd get some MAGA hats, maybe a trump flag ... Juuuust in case I needed to go incognito.
The problem with that age old tactic, is whether or not he engaged in political discourse on social media. One of the body snatchers will definitely point and scream before long, if he is not one of them.

Reactions: Meghan54

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
The problem with that age old tactic, is whether or not he engaged in political discourse on social media. One of the body snatchers will definitely point and scream before long, if he is not one of them.
Yea, it'll work in crowd/mob of course, a "Kristallnacht" - not so much.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You seem confused by the definition of what shit going down is. Being armed will be far more effective than being sane, should such a time arrive. ;)
Uh, OK, I don't know what movies you are watching or where your fantasies are going. Good luck with that.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You do know that millions have died in the name of religion?
Your argument of "it needs to based on something real" baffles me.
In the name of does not mean much. Lots of things happen in the name of whatever but the real reasons, motivations are something else entirely. That's usually the case when religion is the supposed cause.

You are asserting that this civil war thing now supposedly happening is based on religion? What, then? Lies? :rolleyes:

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Given the fact that hospitals across the country are pretty much already at full capacity because of COVID this could be a real shitstorm.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm with you 100% on that one and TBH it probably is the main reason I don't have a gun. Makes it too damn easy to check out. So many people have committed suicide who would have gotten over it but they couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel. There's a suicide hotline, I think a national one. I've never used it. I, like most people, have had suicidal thoughts in my life. I heard a statistic about 18-25 year olds during the pandemic:

"The CDC says 25% of US young adults considered suicide in June."

I'm better now at counteracting depression than at some times earlier in my life. I've had a lot of wonderful experiences in my life and I continue to. I'm older but life is definitely worth living.

BTW, I've never for a second had an issue with alcohol or any drug. Closest thing I have to an addiction is golf. But I haven't hit a ball in over a year and don't really miss it. The pandemic closed the courses. After some months they reopened. I hear that my home course has been completely overrun suddenly by pandemic motivated newbies who want to be outside doing some activity and it's said to be a horrible experience (I haven't bothered to go up there). I used to be able to go up there any time and get on the course if I wanted to, though I'd often just practice putt and hit a few balls on the driving range (I never tried that on a weekend, though). That's my covid-19 catastrophe so far!

Last edited: