Going to Canada.. need advice..

weirdichi

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2001
Should I get cash and convert to CAN dollars or do I use my credit card up there? I was just worried that if I use the credit card, the exchange rate wouldn't be so great. Gonna go stay in Vancouver for the weekend.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
cash is always good. I think CC would work fine, but don't quote me on it.

mithrandir2001

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
Use your credit card up there. They'll convert automatically when you get your CC bill. CC companies exchange rates are typically better than what you'd get at a cash exchange place.

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
If you are staying near the border most places will have American and Canadian rates posted.

Sealy

Platinum Member
Aug 4, 2002
Both is always good to have! You can even use your bank card up here so you don't necessarily need to get cash and then you're getting the best rate from the bank. Also all major cc are accepted pretty much everywhere!

Where in Canada are you going?

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
if you are driving,contact your auto insurance company,
tell them you are going to Canada,and need proof of Canadian coverage,they will want to know the Aproximate dates you will be there
Get Certified copies of the birth certificates for all in your group.
if you take a dog or cat you need proof of Rabies vaccination.
Be Polite
drive with your headlights on 24/7 its the law {for a while now}
Be Polite
don't take to much beer or booze or cigs with you,
AAA auto club used to have a good list of does and don'ts
No "C.B" radio
etc
'
Have fun,Nice place to visit,follow th rules

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Definitely cash. Every time I go to the states and use my CC they hit me up for exchange then add another 3% or so as a fee.

When I've taken out cash with my bank card in the states, they give me a crappy rate, and then charge $3.50 for the withdrawal.

And I tried to use my debit at an interac machine down there... no go for some reason.

I'm not 100% sure if it's the same coming this way, but I'd like to be sure. You'll look like a retard if they can't take anything you give them.

Sealy

Platinum Member
Aug 4, 2002
drive with your headlights on 24/7 its the law {for a while now}

Ummm cars that are made in Canada come standard with daytime running lights but it's not the law!:)

Sealy

Platinum Member
Aug 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Colt45
since when are CB's illegal?

/me looks at his CB

It's not...and we have C.B radio's if that's what he means???