Going to buy new gear. Ram reccomendations for oc'ing?

lung

Apr 17, 2002
So I'm at the point of upgrading again. I'm thinking of getting the following:

P4 2.4C
Asus P4C 800-E Deluxe.

Where I'm somewhat stuck is the ram. I am going to order from NCIX here is Canada, so my options are mainly between Corsair, Kingston, and Mushkin. I'm not sure if I can go for a full gig at once, so should I get one 512 stick now and wait till I get the second one, or should I get two 256 sticks now and go dual channel? Is there that much of a difference?

Everything else will come from my current system as in sig. Thanks for any help you can throw my way.

batmang

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2003
id recommend corsair xms or ocz. at least 3200 speeds, but get faster if you can.

lung

Apr 17, 2002
Is OCZ actually good now? I kindof remember the big stink that happened with them a while back...

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Originally posted by: lung
Is OCZ actually good now? I kindof remember the big stink that happened with them a while back...

Well considering the 3700 Gold can get DDR500 at 1:1 on some systems I say they are pretty good, they even warranty there memory to 2.9 volts.

Slappy00

Golden Member
Jun 17, 2002
I say it depends on your money .. I took a chance and got a Great Deal from GEiL 1gig pc 4200 (533DDR) for $340 shipped, the memory works fine, abit untested higher than 500FSB...

If you wanna go premium corsiar ozc, and kingston cant hold a candle to Mushkin RAM, then naysayers probably have never tried the RAM b/c they simply cant afford it... IT is super-quick and well built...

High-end is where Kingston and Corsair live....

somewhere between Geil and Corsiar is where OCZ is, although I think GEiL is a better deal....

stardust

Golden Member
May 17, 2003
Originally posted by: lung

that "scandal" was never OCZ's fault, it was another company claiming OCZ's products... man i feel like such a repeat....

neways yes get OCZ, my PC3700 does DDR500 @ 2.5-4-4-7, pretty darn fast.

stardust

Golden Member
May 17, 2003
Originally posted by: Slappy00
I say it depends on your money .. I took a chance and got a Great Deal from GEiL 1gig pc 4200 (533DDR) for $340 shipped, the memory works fine, abit untested higher than 500FSB...

If you wanna go premium corsiar ozc, and kingston cant hold a candle to Mushkin RAM, then naysayers probably have never tried the RAM b/c they simply cant afford it... IT is super-quick and well built...

High-end is where Kingston and Corsair live....

somewhere between Geil and Corsiar is where OCZ is, although I think GEiL is a better deal....

DDR533=266.5fsb