Going to an Interview today...

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
for some IT internship... pooping in my pants right now. it's 12:37, and it's scheduled at 2... hope i get this job so i can finally join the circle of atot members who have had an IT job.

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
i think it went pretty well... the interviewee asked me to define teamwork and distinguish a leader and a manager. he asked me a critical thinking question... how much money does it take to fill the Empire STate building? The answer is 50 million according to him, but he wanted to see my thought process. I don't think that went too well... I just said something like multiply the number of quarters it takes for one floor times the number of stories. but now that i think about it... i coulda said something like take the volume of a quarter and the volume of a floor... divide floor by quarter volume and multiply by number of stories :(. i hope all goes well... the internship looks pretty interesting.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: jinduy
i think it went pretty well... the interviewee asked me to define teamwork and distinguish a leader and a manager. he asked me a critical thinking question... how much money does it take to fill the Empire STate building? The answer is 50 million according to him, but he wanted to see my thought process. I don't think that went too well... I just said something like multiply the number of quarters it takes for one floor times the number of stories. but now that i think about it... i coulda said something like take the volume of a quarter and the volume of a floor... divide floor by quarter volume and multiply by number of stories :(. i hope all goes well... the internship looks pretty interesting.
I would have said the weight of all those quarters would collapse the building, to there is no real answer. :p

Good luck!

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
That's a weird interview question jinduy, most likely he was watching Modern Marvels on the History Channel last night!

Good Luck jinduy :beer:

Smaug

Jul 16, 2002
I would have said it's an invalid question, there isn't enough money in the world to match the amount of trillion dollar checks it would take to fill it

Compton

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2000

WTF kind of question is that??? I would've asked him if he knows what they call a quarter pounder in France.

slydecix

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Compton
WTF kind of question is that??? I would've asked him if he knows what they call a quarter pounder in France.
[jules]They don't call it a Quarter Pounder with Cheese?[/jules]

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: tk149
Originally posted by: jinduy
I would have said the weight of all those quarters would collapse the building, to there is no real answer. :p

Good luck!

The thing is, it's a vague question. The interviewer doesn't specify *what* you're filling the building with, he just wants to know how much money it takes to actually do it. Answer: Determine inside volume of building, and calculate cost of equal volume of some random substance to fill the building with (be it dirt, helium, or even those styrofoam shipping peanuts). Also not specified is whether the desired answer must equal the lowest possible cost of filling the building.

Another assumption is that the interviewer wants to hypothetically fill the building with an actual substance. What if the goal is to fill the building with laughter? Or joy?