going through hell trying to get my W2 from previous employer

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jingramm, Feb 17, 2011.

1. jingramm

jingramm Senior member

I need to get my W2 electronically (still haven't received paper version) so I can file my taxes and it requires my login. I left the firm about a year ago and forgot my password. I called two days ago in the morning and tried to reset the password but apparently, they need to escalate it to tier 2 help desk and they opened a ticket on my behalf. I was told that I would receive a phone call from someone but didn't receive anything. I called late in the afternoon to get the status and still the same story - just keep waiting and someone will call you. I called yesterday morning and they said I will hear from someone. I waited until late afternoon and didn't hear anything. I called and asked them to escalate it or DO SOMETHING. I called this morning to let them know I still haven't heard anything and they said I WILL hear from someone today. It is now 6 PM and guess what? still nothing. I just need a password reset, why is it so hard?

2. ryan256

ryan256 Platinum Member

Filing deadlines:
    January 31st: Deadline for distributing W-2's to employees.

February 28th: Deadline for paper filing of wages.

March 31st: Deadline for electronic filing of wages.

Source

Unfortunately I believe the penalty for missing this deadline is a mere $50.

3. AstroManLuca

AstroManLuca Lifer

That sounds like what I went through when I did some seasonal work during high school. I cashiered at a grocery store over Christmas break. Didn't get paid until February or March I think (it was a while ago). Every time I called asking where my money was they were like "we're working on it." Eventually the nagging paid off but wtf.

4. joesmoke

joesmoke Diamond Member

you call that hell? i can name at least a few catastrophic disasters throughout history that could be called worse.

5. bruceb

bruceb Diamond Member

Do you use Turbo Tax either on line or cd version ? ?
    If you do, it can Import your W-2 for you ... no password needed. All it needs is your Employer Name and Employersl ID #, which can be found on your last year W-2 or possibly on your pay stubs, as well as your SSN which you would have to enter to do your tax return anyway.

#5 bruceb, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  6. Lithium381

Lithium381 Lifer

Yeah, but normally it's not just ONE w2 that doesn't go out, it's hundreds if you're a decent size firm..... $50 can add up quickly

7. Duder1no

Duder1no Senior member

the horror!

8. Bignate603

Bignate603 Lifer

That doesn't work with every employer. I wasn't able to import mine.

9. jingramm

jingramm Senior member

Update: I still haven't gotten it. It has been almost a week now. I am so pissed that it takes so long to change a damn password. I tried the w2express thing but I can't import since my employer is not part of it.

10. BlahBlahYouToo

another pro for the fair tax.
    no need to chase ppl for tax/income related forms.

11. Capt Caveman

Capt Caveman Lifer

My old company told me I wouldn't be able to have online access 30 after I left. Why don't you just ask them to send you another paper version?

12. wiredspider

wiredspider Diamond Member

can you use your last pay stub?