Going on vacation to Dallas Fort Worth area. Ideas on what to do?

Nightfall

Golden Member
Nov 16, 1999
I am going down to the Dallas Fort Worth area for vacation. My cousin lives about 20 minutes from the Dallas Fort Worth airport, but I don't know where exactically.

Here is what we are planning on doing so far. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sunday night: Dallas Stars vrs New Jersey Devils hockey game
Monday night: Dalls Mavericks basketball game

Other tenative things to do: Speedway go cart racing, 6 flags over Texas (maybe).

Places to eat: Red, Hot, and Blue. Jose T. Garcias.

Give me some ideas people! I only get down to TX once every two years or so. :)

soccerbud34

Nov 15, 2001
6 flags is plenty of fun :)

if you want to go clubbing, goto the west end or deep ellum in downtown dallas :)

Nightfall

Golden Member
Nov 16, 1999
Those clubs fun? Never been to a club in Dallas. What kind of music do they play and stuff?

Also, if we did go to Six Flags, would the best day to go be on Thursday when the kiddies are in school?

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Well, you could see the grassy knoll and the schoolbook depository.

West End is kinda fun on weekend nights, but Deep Ellum is better if you're into clubbing.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Deep Ellum has good restaurants and music. 6flags is ok but overpriced, imo. Other than that, I love the sports and you already have that listed. If you like shopping/movies/eating then try Ft. Worth's Sundance Square. The movie theatres are the best part, imo, and there is the Bass Performance Hall.

<< Also, if we did go to Six Flags, would the best day to go be on Thursday when the kiddies are in school? >>

It is spring break next week. you aren't going to be able to get away from the kiddies :p

Boogak

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000
Red, Hot, and Blue is Memphis style barbecue if I remember correctly (the sauce is alot sweeter and much more pork), and it's also a chain restaurant. Try Angelo's a little north of downtown Fort Worth if you want some good Texas barbecue. While you're there you can also visit the Stockyards for the Old West touristy thing (also home of Billy Bob's, the worlds biggest beloved patriot tonk club).

Deep Ellum has both live bands and dance clubs on the Dallas side. West End is the big tourist trap in downtown Dallas but it's pretty nice. You can visit 'em both before or after your hockey/basketball games since they're pretty close to the AA arena.

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
I'll be there next week! Too bad the Mavs will have all their games out of town that week! What are the odds...

Aug 23, 2000
If you want good BBQ go to BW's. It just west of Downtown Dallas, It's on Commerce street. That's real BBQ.

Other than what you've listed there isn't really a whole lot of interesting stuff here.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The last time I was in Dallas, I asked locals what there was to do their. They all started back blankly and said, "eat out". True enough, there are some fantastic restraunts there!

silent tone

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, I read dallas or tarrant county (or both?) have more restaurants per capita than any other in the US.

Gujski

Aug 3, 2001
If you like shopping/movies/eating then try Ft. Worth's Sundance Square.

I agree, if you like beer check out the Flying Saucer in down town Fort worth, the have a ton of beer on draft, i was impressed cause i'm from Pittsburgh and they even had Rolling Rock on draft! No Iron City though:(

I liked Billy Miners too in downtown Forth Worth, they had real good Hamburgers, and lots of Bar seating with many TV's, good place to chill and watch some games.

Nightfall

Golden Member
Nov 16, 1999
Thanks for the suggestions! I am taking all this stuff down. Any other suggestions?