Going Old School.... Tualatin SlotKet Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffedup

Aug 17, 2003
Hi,

I have an old Abit BE6 [not the more popular BE6-II, for those that remember] that I had used to make a "recycled parts" computer for a relative a couple years ago (it was old, even when it was given to the relative). For those not familiar with the BE6, it's a slot 1, 440BX motherboard.

It was running a coppermine celeron 700 socket 370 through an abit-branded "SlotKet" adaptor. [for those not familiar, assuming you're still reading, slotket adaptors allowed for using socket 370 CPUs in slot 1 boards.] For processors of that era, an extra few hundred megahertz could really provide a huge performance boost (unlike today), so now that tualatin Celerons are relatively cheap, I figured I'd give the computer an upgrade. Knowing that Tualatin-core chips have a different pinout and voltage requirements, a number of companies offer socket 370 -> socket 370 adaptors so that Tualatins can be run on older (almost any Intel chipset before the B-stepping version of the 815).

So, I bought a Celeron 1300 (definitely a Tualatin core), a Lin Lin (brand) tualatin to 370 adaptor, and mounted the chip/370 adaptor/slotket adaptor in the BE6 only for nothing to happen. The powersupply fan turns on, but that's about it (the same happens when turning it on with a vacant cpu slot).

I bought the 1300 chip from a "junk" dealer at a computer show (if you've been to a computer show, you know the vendors I'm talking about, the ones that buy and sell lots of old/out-of-date hardware), and I'm not implying he was up to no good, I'm just saying that there's a not zero chance that the chip might be bad, but without a setup that I'm 100% confident in properly running Tualatin processors, I don't want to claim it doesn't work before I'm sure.

Has anyone here ever run a Tualatin chip through both the 370 to 370 adaptor and a slotket adaptor? I've tried pretty much every applicable/logical jumper setting on both adaptors (voltage, FSB are adjustable on both). Powerleap makes a tualatin/slotket adaptor + CPU combination (called the slotwonder), though I'd rather get to the bottom of whether or not the 1300 I already bought might be bad before spending more money.

I guess to keep in mind, the board definitely works as it still boots just fine with the 700 chip through the slotket, and the RAM, though it runs at 66MHz with the 700, is PC100, so it should run at the stock bus speed of the tualatin Celeron. I guess because this will probably be a likely suggestion, I've cleared the CMOS to see if that would make it work, and it didn't.

Thanks in advance,
Dan

stevty2889

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2003
Hmm thats differant, I don't think I've ever seen anyone try and run that way before, a slotket-slotket-motherboard. My first guess would be that it won't likely work with double adaptors. The reason being, the first adaptor would have to support the Tualatin chip itself, which it doesn't, and it's unlikely to be identical to an actual socket370 motherboard, so it seems unlikely the double adaptor solution can't work. Like you said, can't really tell if the chip is dead or not, unless you have a known good computer that supports it to test it in.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
I'd start looking for a way to test the CPU on a motherboard designed for it before attempting to troubleshoot it any farther as it sits. It sounds plausible to run the adaptor on a slotket, but I don't recall anyone explicitly saying that they have tried it and verified it operational. The interesting thing is that you can modify the CPU/slotket to allow for the Tualatin without needing the additional adaptor. I ran a Tualatin in an Abit BX133-RAID without adaptor.

Know anybody near you that has a board to test the CPU on? Failing that, know anybody online that you can mail the CPU to for testing (should cost $1-2 to mail first class)?

INM8

Sep 20, 2005
I tried getting a 1.4 ghz tualatin running on my Gigabyte 440bxe motherboard a few years ago...it didnt work :( I ended up finding a 1ghz coppermine and running it with a gigabyte slotket adaptor.

I have my doubts about the slotket + slotket system working but it could. Maybe your motherboard isnt providing enough power to the chip? Is the vcore set right? If the power requirments went up with the tualatin chips, maybe your S370 to S1 adaptor isnt letting enough power pass through? If you havent done already, you could try updating the bios to the latest available version. I remember that my one didnt post untill i updated the bios to the latest version when i eventually got the 1ghz coppermine working.

Some slotket adaptors dont seem to function on all motherboards either. I went through 2 OEM ones before i found the gigabyte one that actually works. Atleast you know that the S370 to S1 slotket adaptor works...but the other one may not work with you setup.As others have said, the best thing to do first would be to check whether the cpu works or not . If you know it works, than you know the problem is with something else, but if you dont check, imagine all the time\money you could waste trying to fix other stuff that may not be broken :)

Antoneo

Diamond Member
May 25, 2001
I've been using a slot-T adapter for my 1.4GHz Celeron and Asus P3b-f motherboard. They worked fine until several weeks ago when the system began to randomly reboot. :( I think I'm going to have to give up on that one.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: INM8
Maybe your motherboard isnt providing enough power to the chip? Is the vcore set right? If the power requirments went up with the tualatin chips, maybe your S370 to S1 adaptor isnt letting enough power pass through?

Didn't some people end up with dead BH6 boards (popped caps) after using Tualatins?

fluffedup

Aug 17, 2003
INM8: The vcore is set on both the Lin Lin adaptor and the SlotKet adaptor. I've tried all sorts of combinations, starting with (obviously) "auto" for both [both adaptors have an "auto" setting], then setting both to the 1.5V that's printed on the chip, then trying both at 1.475 [the "other" voltage talked about in articles about the Tualatin chips). I tried a number of other combinations [switching one to auto, the other to the required voltage, and so on], but with no luck. Also, the board (in 2001 or so) was updated to the latest (I guess I should call it the "last") BIOS, version TH. Whether or not the board supplies enough power, I'll guess and say it does, though that's just a guess based on reading success stories of the Lin Lin adaptor working in other setups. The Tualatin core voltage is lower than that of the Pentium II's [Klamath 233 ran at 2.8V and had a higher thermal guideline than the Tualatin, so even though those aren't the definitive numbers about power used (I couldn't find amperage numbers) I'll guess that it should work]. I ran a Klamath 233 in the same motherboard without issue. Sorry to go on at length there, I just didn't want to say, "Well, I think it'd work" without backing it up with some reasoning.

Obviously, at this point, I'll need to test the chip in a certified-to-work motherboard, though I if I were to guess, I'd say the chip is bad. Nothing against those that make a living selling old PC hardware, but I doubt that the chip was tested before putting it up for sale being that it's a rather obscure design that doesn't work with many/most stock socket 370 motherboards to begin with. I'll see what the dealer I bought it from has to say (in terms of swaps, testing, etc., etc.).

For those of you mentioning the slotket modifications: not that the parts are particularly valuable, but they work now. After I play surgeon with them, they probably won't. Not because the concept of the modification is wrong (and I do appreciate you sending the links) but that I have absolutely no luck with modifying electronics with anything other than epoxy [read: re-attaching a case's power button, the "electronic" device that that is], and I doubt epoxy would be very useful in a pin-mod. Looking at the wire traces on the Lin Lin adaptor, it looks as if it does the same pin-rerouting that is done in the modifications in the links.

Thanks for the replies,
Dan

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
I've used those Lin Lin adaptors in socket 370 boards successfully (though one Shuttle SV24 blew caps after a while). Good luck on that and update us if you get anywhere with the setup.

valnar

Jul 24, 2002
Did you ever get this working? I'm making a Tualatin Celeron 1.4Ghz + Lin-Lin adapter + Slotket sandwich as well. It's going on an ASUS P2B board which should have the appropriate voltage regulator down to 1.5v. I haven't started yet though because I don't know which combination of jumpers and settings need to go on each component.

This is a nearly 12 year old thread.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
I don't think I ever got a Tualatin working in my older 440BX mobos (eg. ABIT BX6, ABIT BE6, etc.)

Edit : Crap, didn't notice that this was somewhat of a necro :S

Status
Not open for further replies.