Going into medicine after already receiving a bachelors degree in an unrelated field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
I was talking to a nurse earlier about positions in the medical field, and she said that for someone that didn't want to go the full blown route and become a doctor, there were lots of assistant programs out there that could be taken advantage of.

Has anyone ever done this? I.e., got a degree in economics and decided to become a nurse or a physician's assistant?

For those of you already in the medical field, what is the fastest/most efficient way for someone to get into the field if they already have a bachelors degree?

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
There was someone else on this forum who had convinced himself that he could get a masters in nursing in three years with an unrelated degree. You sound like that person, reborn.

Synomenon

Lifer
Dec 25, 2004
I've been looking into this as well. Most of the local community colleges around me have 2 year programs for medical technologists, nursing and physician assistants and physical therapists.

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
Well actually I'm more interested in being a nurse anesthetist, or something to do with anesthesia. A physician's assistant is also up on the list.

I just listed nursing because I figured I could get a lot of input from past/future nurses.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Uh, you don't need any specific degree in order to get into med school. There are some prereqs you have to satisfy, but it's nothing you can't do in a little over a year generally.

A friend of mine just applied to med school and he has an engineering physics degree. Apparently, one of the degrees that med schools like most is music.

RiDE

Platinum Member
Jul 8, 2004
There was someone else on this forum who had convinced himself that he could get a masters in nursing in three years with an unrelated degree. You sound like that person, reborn.

That's what my friend is doing now. He got his degree in accounting three years ago and is currently on his last year for his MSN.

PhoKingGuy

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2007
Its going to be extremely difficult to go straight into a CRNA/PA program without a science background. Keep in mind you are basically taking the same coursework as a medical student/dental student without any of the pre-learning that they have had as well, in addition most of those programs have prerequsites for entry. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
University of Colorado has an "accelerated" BSN program for people who already have their bachelor's in another area of study. Essentially you get to skip all the GEs and shit that can transfer in (like possibly some science classes you've already taken), and concentrate on the core courses. It's 66 credits, so generally a 3-4 semester gig depending on what, if any, previous credits might be able to transfer in.

I would guess that most major university systems would have something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.