Going hungry in America

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Maybe its time for people to start growing some of their own food?

In the past week my wife and I have given away close to 4 dozen eggs. Our chickens are laying around 7 - 8 eggs a day.

And if your neighbors grew some veggies, you could trade the half of those eggs you don't need for those veggies. I don't disagree with this at all. Not to mention the soil in most yards has been unused for decades, maybe centuries, so they would be rich in nutrients and minerals which is a problem we are facing today with the mega farms.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
And if your neighbors grew some veggies, you could trade the half of those eggs you don't need for those veggies. I don't disagree with this at all. Not to mention the soil in most yards has been unused for decades, maybe centuries, so they would be rich in nutrients and minerals which is a problem we are facing today with the mega farms.

There is a farmers market store down the road from my house that sales locally grown produce. I might go there and see if they want to trade some veggies for some eggs.

Part of the problem with the modern food crisis, people have forgot how to grow their own food.

Food does not come from a store, it comes from the ground.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
There is a farmers market store down the road from my house that sales locally grown produce. I might go there and see if they want to trade some veggies for some eggs.

Part of the problem with the modern food crisis, people have forgot how to grow their own food.

Yeah, my Aunt and Uncle have had a garden for a couple of decades now in their backyard. Once we move into our new house, I'm going to ask them for advice/help in planting my own. At the very least it would lower food costs and at worst it might save us if the country collapses due to mismanagement.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
People that live in apartments don't have that option.

True, but they can grow stuff tomatoes and spinach in pots.

Instead of growing flowers, grow something you can eat.

Picture of my chickens when they were 2 months old.

chickens-42412-1019.jpg

Last edited:

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007
You and that other Elitist 1%er know nothing about obesity or food banks.

Food banks get most of the food from the Evil Corporations ergo the 1%.

It's nice to know you think all conservartives are the 1%. That means over 40% of the country is the 1%. Nice math. No wonder you think we can just keep borrowing money.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

Too bad most urban poor wouldn't know what to do with raw vegetables if they were provided free. Probably try to sell them for drug money or throw them away in favour of their normal diet of processed food, fast food, or government cheese.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Maybe if Republicans would stop blocking Obama's Jobs Bill, fewer people would be suffering.

Also, thank you for Bush as well.

If his jobs bill is anything like the rest of his stuff that has been submitted; we are better off without it.

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012

So cows come from the ground?

Who knew!?

Seriously though, If I had the land I would farm my own veggies and wouldnt mind having my own chicken coup.

Though I don't think Id go much farther than that.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Ever notice that the vast majority of those that say they have no money for food, always seem to have money for drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, tattoos, cell phones, and more?

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Ever notice that the vast majority of those that say they have no money for food, always seem to have money for drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, tattoos, cell phones, and more?

That is exactly why we should drug test welfare recepients and also we did the right thing in only allowing food stamps to be used on food...

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Maybe if Republicans would stop blocking Obama's Jobs Bill, fewer people would be suffering.

There is no viable "jobs" bill and this is not the fault of Bush(43).

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
Americans going hungry?

Welcome to reality America.

It's a matter of time before America sees what "reality" means. We are well on our way.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
There is no viable "jobs" bill and this is not the fault of Bush(43).

Cmon man, yes it is. If the Bush admin had actually done thier job and provided proper oversight of the ratings agencies then that entire mess would not have happened. Instead they turned a blind eye and millions of people got robbed, and then had to pay to bailout the people who robbed them.

Pathetic.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
Americans going hungry?

Welcome to reality America.

It's a matter of time before America sees what "reality" means. We are well on our way.

I think your article brings up an interesting point.

Americans have been shielded from stuff like the high price of fuel, food and water shortages that the rest of the world goes through.

How many more droughts until the price of food is past what the average worker can afford?

How many more droughts until we start having food shortages?

The middle class has been beaten down to where they can barely afford basic life necessities. There is an old saying "straw that broke the camels back". What is that straw going to be for the poor and middle class?

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009

Yes, cuz the first 'stimulus' plan worked so well. Oh wait, that's right, we just didn't spend enough. Stock liberal answer when their programs fail.

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Cmon man, yes it is. If the Bush admin had actually done thier job and provided proper oversight of the ratings agencies then that entire mess would not have happened. Instead they turned a blind eye and millions of people got robbed, and then had to pay to bailout the people who robbed them.

Pathetic.

You can thank Dodd/Franks for the housing mess of 2008. Then you can thank Bush(43) and most of the Democrats for coming up with the wrong solution. Giving $800 billion to the banks was just madness.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009

Pathetic.

More partisan hackery. Bahny Fwank was in wuv with Fwank Waines. Dems were in control the last 2 years of the Bush admin and did nothing even though they were warned. They did nothing before that as well. To put this all on one side, when there's ample proof both sides contributed, shows how willfully clueless you are.