Going from 1gig to 2

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Dual channel about 3% on average with the range 1-5%...more so in games then anywhere...

also going to 4 sticks may force 2t and that can hit you in the 1-3% range again with most in games....

then for the triple whammy if you have an older chip that downgrades to 333ddr with 4 stciks you will take evemore of a hit though again mostly in games....

So are you a gamer???

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
If you are a gamer I would recommend it.....for others I would ask if they really needed 2gbs or tell them it likley wont hurt them...In encoding all of those negatives above may only amount to 3% total and that is pretty neglible...

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
Oh by the way how come your board cannot run 4 sticks in dual channel??? I believe mine can just fine, but it would have to revert to 2t....all venice and newer cores fixed the 333ddr thing so for most even gamers in a situation like mine i wouldn't discourage 4x512mb....I know it is often easty to upgrade that way...

i want to sell these gskills and get 2 average 1gb modules cabale of 500ddr or less....

drifter106

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2004
yesterday i went from 1 gig of ocz 3200 plat r2 to 2 gig of ocz (2-3-2-5)

i noticed a difference in loading, exiting (speciallly bf2...big difference) other games were a little bit more snappy as well, loading up windows was snappier also

mbm5 seems to run 1 or 2 degrees higher (don't know if this is in direct correlation to the ram or not...duvie or someone might touch on tha one)

didn't really notice any significant change in fps

you can probably get cheaper ram and be as well off as the higher stuff, i wanted the timings from this ram

good luck

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
drifter, have you tried oc'ing your new ocz ram? I'm considering that ram also and curious to know your results.

drifter106

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2004
no i haven't ...probably won't do anything until i get the other puter running...
from what i have been told i should be able to reach 2.4 to 2.5 stable

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005
More memory will NEVER hurt in the long run.... It really depends on what you're doing.

As Duvie, Zebo and others can say better than I can, there are quirks with running 2 GB or more of RAM on A64. But the memory hits are pretty minimal.

I'm cutting over to contracting from full-time as of now and I can say I'm really f*cking glad I have 2 GB of RAM now (see sig). Though I can't run at 1T, it will still run rings around my old 3 Ghz P4 1 GB RAM work system. I had huge latency problems on that thing because I was running up to 30 tasks at a time. Now I'll get to make this thing sweat because I run Illustrator, FrameMaker, and many other apps during the course of my work....

Now I have to start thinking about an X2 4400+ because I might be able to justify it now for work.... :)