Going for a job interview at Lowes tomorrow...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by hoyaguru, Feb 22, 2007.

1. hoyaguru

hoyaguru Senior member

I had an interview today for a department manager position, have to go back tomorrow for a follow-up interview with the store manager. I'm guessing at some point in the interview, he is going to ask me my salary requirements. I hate that question, I worry that if I ask for too much, I might not get the job, but if I ask for too little I'll get the job and find out later that I could have asked for (and received) more. Anyone work at Lowes, and know what kind of salary department managers make? This is in New Jersey, if that makes a difference.

2. BigJ

BigJ Lifer

Department Manager? Are you talking about just being in charge of a single department with assistant managers and then a store manager above you, or one of the assistant manager positions (they typically manage several departments)?

You should look for at least $16/hour if you're in charge of a single department.

3. fleshconsumed

fleshconsumed Diamond Member

Just say make on offer

4. yllus

yllus Lifer<BR>Elite Member

Other people can try to give you a number - my side advice is to do your very best to avoid being the first person to mention a number. And don't give a range either, because a range equals "the lowest number in the range."

Proper answer: "I am ready to consider your very best offer." Or, "I expect a salary in line with my skills and abilities, but what is most important is the opportunity to work for you and your company. I am confident that your offer will be competitive."

5. AMDZen

AMDZen Lifer

no less then 100k or you should walk

6. iversonyin

iversonyin Diamond Member

WOW, WHERE DO I SIGN UP?

7. BigJ

BigJ Lifer

It is not uncommon for the working-warehouses to hire non-cashiers on at anywhere from $10-$15/hour. Especially in areas with higher COL. Especially if you have a HD in your area, Lowes has been known to offer higher salaries to dissuade people from joining HD.

8. DaiShan

DaiShan Diamond Member

Good Advice. I just finished up a round of interviews in which one candidate asked for $11-20/hour. Guess what we offered? If you guessed $11/hour then you get a gold star. He was up until very recently doing HD work for his dad's company for $17/hour, and if he would have asked for $14 I would have given it to him.

9. d3n

d3n Golden Member

I would asked to get paid in hex bolts and toilet augers.

10. MichaelD

MichaelD Lifer

Manager of a department, responsible for personnel, inventory, marketing of items, ordering of items and training of dept personnel...making $16/hour? You've got to be kidding me.

That's $30K gross/year, about $20K after taxes...chump change for that level of responsibility! You should ask for DOUBLE that!

Retail has a very bad habit of wanting something for nothing. If you can successfully accomplish everything in the first paragraph (which you'll be EXPECTED to do!) you're on your way to being able to manage a store, not just a department.

It's one thing to have lots of experience in Plumbing, Hardware, Paint or whatver. That's "one salary and skill range" i.e. laborer. It's another thing COMPLETELY to be able to manage people. I learned this the hard way over the past 15 years or so. Those skills cannot be learned in a book; 75% is personal experience, the other 25% is mentoring by people that care about you. That should be worth something!

11. Trey22

Trey22 Diamond Member

eleventy billion

12. BigJ

BigJ Lifer

Lowes and HD's Department Heads/Supervisors/whatever you want to call them don't do nearly that much. That was my recommnedation for $16/hour. If he's an Assistant Manager in charge of running multiple departments, the salary ranges are different.

Inventory is done by Inventory Management Associates, ordering is done either by IMAs or automatically based on stock/computer scheduling for the most part, and training is done either on the computer or in a booklet. Marketing procedures are sent down by corporate to implement.

13. MichaelD

MichaelD Lifer

OK, thanks for clearing the air for me on that. His potential job title is very misleading. In the early 1990's, I was a co-manager/manager for a department with Bed, Bath & Beyond. I was responsible for everything I quoted in my original response. It was way too much for me at that time. :eek: Now; I could handle it, no problem. Then; I got in over my head. :(

14. MisterJackson

Ask them to pay you in timber. Then hoard it until global warming kills off all vegitation. then sell your cache of 2 x 4's at a 2000% markup!

MWUHAHAHAHAHA!

15. hoyaguru

hoyaguru Senior member

Yes, like the Electrical dept, or Plumbing dept.

16. Juno

Juno Lifer

where in jersey?

17. BigJ

BigJ Lifer

Do you have a background in the department you're going to be in charge of? If not, you need to do yourself a favor if you get the job and listen to the people you manage. When a customer asks you a question, they're going to be the ones who are going to know the answer and give you the knowledge for the future.

Also, don't get a big head. Your workers are the reason why they come to your store instead of the other box down the street. If you get pissed off floor workers, you're going to lose sales and not make plan. Then it's your head on the chopping block.

18. 2Xtreme21

2Xtreme21 Diamond Member

:laugh:

19. hoyaguru

hoyaguru Senior member

EHT

20. gamepad

gamepad Golden Member

one penny doubling every day.

21. hoyaguru

hoyaguru Senior member

Yes, been doing construction all my life, and have been managing for about 20 years.

22. brxndxn

brxndxn Diamond Member

You won't get a salary working as a department manager (at least if Lowe's is anything like Home Depot).. But, you should be able to get $15-17 - if you're good. They'll probby try to start you off at $14 or so and promise a raise after 90 or 180 days.

It's funny.. I get paid a LOT more now than what I got paid at Home Depot working in the plumbing dept as a sales rep.. but I find myself missing that job at Home Depot quite a bit. Of all the 'retail sales' places I can think of, Home Depot and Lowe's seem like the best.. dynamic environment, encouragement to learn, positive attitudes, real responsibilities.. etc..

Plus, getting a workout every time you go to work is always nice.. I actually built muscle working at Home Depot.