Going back to the beginning of his Presidency to today how do you rank danger for Trump?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
That's true in the current situation, however, I do wonder what happens if Dems take Congress. At that point Republicans may face a choice between saving Trump or their agenda to benefit the wealthy and corporation as Dems will control legislation. Burn themselves or Trump.

They won't be able to pass any more bills to forward that agenda. But they still won't burn Trump. There won't be enough votes in the Senate. If the dems do retake the Senate, at best they'll have it 51-49. You aren't going to find 15 GOP Senators sufficiently sanguine over their political futures to vote against Trump. Beyond a handful in bluer states, the rest will worry over being primaried out if they vote Trump out of office. He's too popular with the GOP base.

If you factor out any concerns about morality and public service, which is a given with the entire GOP, the only thing that remains is a political calculus, and for them the calculus just doesn't favor opposition to Trump.

If the economy tanks, that might change. But that's about the only thing which could do it.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
There is only one thing that can hurt Trump: the GOP getting demolished in the midterms. If the Democrats somehow take the senate and flip a safe seat like Texas or Tennessee I can see Republicans in the senate getting scared and wanting to ditch the Trump anchor from around their necks for the 2020 election. Then you might get enough Republican votes in the senate to convict. But if that was the case why would the Democrats impeach and give the GOP such a gift?

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
There is only one thing that can hurt Trump: the GOP getting demolished in the midterms. If the Democrats somehow take the senate and flip a safe seat like Texas or Tennessee I can see Republicans in the senate getting scared and wanting to ditch the Trump anchor from around their necks for the 2020 election. Then you might get enough Republican votes in the senate to convict. But if that was the case why would the Democrats impeach and give the GOP such a gift?

Unless Trump's approvals among the GOP base decline along with the GOP's representation in Congress, there won't be enough votes in the Senate to throw him out. He's not going anywhere so long as he's this popular with their voters.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Unless Trump's approvals among the GOP base decline along with the GOP's representation in Congress, there won't be enough votes in the Senate to throw him out. He's not going anywhere so long as he's this popular with their voters.

If there is widespread losses during the midterms, support could easily sour. GOP could make the calculation that it's better to get rid of him fast, and hope they can recover somewhat before the next presidential election.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
If there is widespread losses during the midterms, support could easily sour. GOP could make the calculation that it's better to get rid of him fast, and hope they can recover somewhat before the next presidential election.

Then they'll have to find 15 or so Senators not worried about being primaried out to do it because their base will quickly turn on whoever votes to oust him.

In any event, the dems are statistically unlikely to retake the Senate anyway, so all of this is probably moot.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

We shall see. There are lots of GOP Senators who won't have to face their voters until 2022 or 2024. That's plenty of time for the deplorables to forget a lot of things... Hell- they forgot who crashed the economy between 2008 & 2010... cuz death panels & shit. Cuz sekrit mooslim not born in this country...

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

Trump's base isn't enough, he got a lot of votes in the midwest from people who went for Obama. I think this is highly unlikely, but if the midterms are a complete bloodbath for the GOP dumping him could be a real possibility so they're not throwing 2020.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Then they'll have to find 15 or so Senators not worried about being primaried out to do it because their base will quickly turn on whoever votes to oust him.

They'll give them right wing welfare e.g. Fox, lobbying, think tank, etc.

In any event, the dems are statistically unlikely to retake the Senate anyway, so all of this is probably moot.

Not if Mueller/Rosenstein does something before the midterms and we still need to see if the current situation with Kavanaugh may screw them over. Nonetheless, the Democrats only need one part of Congress to subpoena and investigate, which is the one thing Kavanaugh approves of. GOP will not want that shit hanging before 2020.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
They'll give them right wing welfare e.g. Fox, lobbying, think tank, etc.

Not if Mueller/Rosenstein does something before the midterms and we still need to see if the current situation with Kavanaugh may screw them over. Nonetheless, the Democrats only need one part of Congress to subpoena and investigate, which is the one thing Kavanaugh approves of. GOP will not want that shit hanging before 2020.

Oh, I agree there is a tremendous benefit to the dems retaking the House. It just isn't that it will mean Trump gets thrown out of office.

I don't see Mueller doing anything definitive before the midterms unless his investigation is at a stage where it can be done with strong evidence. Which I doubt. Mueller still needs time to corroborate whatever it is that people like Manafort and Cohen have been telling him.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Trump's base isn't enough, he got a lot of votes in the midwest from people who went for Obama. I think this is highly unlikely, but if the midterms are a complete bloodbath for the GOP dumping him could be a real possibility so they're not throwing 2020.

Right, his base is probably 30ish%. The other 10% or so who are supporting him he can lose. But there's been 100+ reasons for those people to depart, and they have not. Nothing about these indictments has made them leave. Nothing. Since most of these voters are independents who mainly vote based on the economy, I surmise that this is what is propping him up, and only its decline will cause him to lose it. I just don't have any faith that anything is going to shake that support below high 30's except an economic downturn.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Oh, I agree there is a tremendous benefit to the dems retaking the House. It just isn't that it will mean Trump gets thrown out of office.

I don't see Mueller doing anything definitive before the midterms unless his investigation is at a stage where it can be done with strong evidence. Which I doubt. Mueller still needs time to corroborate whatever it is that people like Manafort and Cohen have been telling him.

He doesn't have to be done with Donnie. We shouldn't see it all happen at once. I can't think of a reason why Jr., Kushner, or Stone couldn't be indicted yet, and now we don't have the 2nd Manafort trial which would have been helpful in telling the American people how corrupt the Republicans are. If we're somewhere within two weeks of the midterms, I'm assuming they're going to hide behind the protocol despite everyone knowing that if Republicans keep Congress, it'll be easier for them to consolidate power.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Our best hope, other than Moonbeam's ideas is something along the lines of what happened to Richard Nixon's first VP, Spiro T. Agnew...

Beginning in early 1973, Agnew was investigated by the United States Attorney for the District of Maryland on suspicion of conspiracy, bribery, extortion and tax fraud. Agnew had accepted kickbacks from contractors during his time as Baltimore County executive and Governor of Maryland. The payments had continued into his time as vice president. On October 10, 1973, after months of maintaining his innocence, Agnew pleaded no contest to a single felony charge of tax evasion and resigned from office.

More on that idea...http://time.com/5123598/president-trump-impeach-criminal-constitution/

BAMAVOO

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
1) At this moment I'll go with today's news of fraud and where that might lead.

2) Stormy and illegal campaign activities.

3) Russia probe.

That's a quick and not all-inclusive list of what I see as being the greatest threat to Trump's tenure in office/criminal repercussions.

Discuss/amplify.
1. Too much winning - the man is on a roll
2. Fake news - let him do the job he was hired to do
3. Liberals - crying, moaning, gnashing of teeth - step aside and enjoy the ride on the Trump train

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
3. Liberals - crying, moaning, gnashing of teeth - step aside and enjoy the ride on the Trump train

This is a textbook example of the dangers of chaining yourself too closely a single political leader. You become a mindless drone who just chants meaningless slogans.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002

1. Like you can't "win" with all three branches of government under your control.
2. Please link some of that "fake news" lies you trumpists like to claim so much about.