GOG - Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri & Crusader: No Remorse released (~$6)

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
SMAC is the one of the best Sid Meir game ever created, Civilization 4 comes close.

Full unit customization for the win!

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
I still remember Crusader: No Remorse. It was one of the best looking games for its days, and made console graphics look like crap in comparison. The control was difficult though, and I never finish the game.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Alpha Centauri? The best $5.99 you will ever spend.

Edit: No Alien Crossfire though. Kind of similar to how Dungeon Keeper doesn't come with the "Deeper Dungeons" expansion. While they're still awesome deals, this tells me that GOG kind of made a shitty deal with EA and they'll be selling the expansions separately. You know, because it's EA, and they'll try to milk everything for more money.. even with their older games.

Last edited:

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Awesome.

AC comes with the manual. Remember when Sid had the best and BIGGEST manuals for his games. I missed those 300 page books.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Awesome.

AC comes with the manual. Remember when Sid had the best and BIGGEST manuals for his games. I missed those 300 page books.

haha I remember some games coming in binders, instead of boxes (especially those Janes games)

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
If we own the original CD for these, do those work on Win 7 or do we need the gog versions?

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Are there any more recent games that play like SMAC? I've seen GalCivII recommended, anything else?

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
Only had issues with the opening movie and it being green lines, but the gameplay was great. I missed this game. It was a great buy!

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Alpha Centauri? The best $5.99 you will ever spend.

Edit: No Alien Crossfire though. Kind of similar to how Dungeon Keeper doesn't come with the "Deeper Dungeons" expansion. While they're still awesome deals, this tells me that GOG kind of made a shitty deal with EA and they'll be selling the expansions separately. You know, because it's EA, and they'll try to milk everything for more money.. even with their older games.

I didn't look into it much but it seemed like on the gog forums there were some posts explaining how to unlock Deeper Dungeons as the files needed already come with the game.

Are there any more recent games that play like SMAC? I've seen GalCivII recommended, anything else?

Call to Power II http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/call_to_power_2

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
So confirmed this does not include the expansion?

Also I think this game would be difficult to play without the printed out 3'x5' tech tree. :D

I remember one of my favorite things to do was to send a terraforming ship off the coast of a city that didn't have the submersible living structure and just sink the whole thing, cost be damned!

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
So confirmed this does not include the expansion?

Also I think this game would be difficult to play without the printed out 3'x5' tech tree. :D

I remember one of my favorite things to do was to send a terraforming ship off the coast of a city that didn't have the submersible living structure and just sink the whole thing, cost be damned!

Nope doesn't include the expansion. From the gog forums they stated they are working on bring the game expansions over, but it's an EA thing.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
SMAC was OK, but I never really got the storyline of how the fungus was out to get you at first and then it became a great resource at the end. Though I was small when I played it, and havent touched it since.