GOG Games, DOSBOX and windows 10 probs

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
So, I have about a dozen games that I bought thru GOG and they run under dosbox. Well, they did on Win7 but win10 doesnt like it. I get no errors but they launch quick then disappear. I have tried all compatibility settings to no avail. I notice each game has its own copy of dosbox launcher. Can I copy the lates version of dosbox in each game folder? Anyone get dosbox working on win10?

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Those DOSbox executables are custom tailored for the specific game. It would probably be a bad idea to replace them.

I assume the games are installed somewhere that's not Program Files(x86), and they are latest versions?

Broken Sword II works for my on Windows 10. It's also the only sample I have, but I don't think it's a DOSbox game.

Last edited:

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I only have one Dosbox game, Star Trek: 25th Anniversary and it runs fine on W10. I can even use my SP2 pen as a mouse in it.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Those DOSbox executables are custom tailored for the specific game. It would probably be a bad idea to replace them.
The executable is not special but every game has it's own cfg files
(which might also be identical for a large number of games)

@Oyeve
did you re-install gog ,or the games through gog, (does it work like steam/origin ? ) might be a config file that has to be copied by the installation.

(Or download a front end like d-fend and make the games work thriugh that)

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
@Oyeve
did you re-install gog ,or the games through gog, (does it work like steam/origin ? ) might be a config file that has to be copied by the installation.

I have not, i'll try tonight and see. GOG just gives you the program (after you paid) and I can install it pretty much anywhere. Thanks!

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
The executable is not special but every game has it's own cfg files
(which might also be identical for a large number of games)

@Oyeve

GOG has a client, but they don't require it. The games are still 100% DRM-free and don't even need an internet connection to install (past the actual download).

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
So, I have about a dozen games that I bought thru GOG and they run under dosbox. Well, they did on Win7 but win10 doesnt like it. I get no errors but they launch quick then disappear. I have tried all compatibility settings to no avail. I notice each game has its own copy of dosbox launcher. Can I copy the lates version of dosbox in each game folder? Anyone get dosbox working on win10?
What games are they? If they're LucasArts, Sierra, etc, point & click games, try ScummVM. If your problem is clicking on the file causes it to very rapidly open and close, then it's possible that it's just an incorrect shortcut due to yet another new version of Windows changing the location (again...) Maybe double check the Windows shortcut / Start Menu link is accurately pointing to the DOSBOX.exe, and also that the DOSBOX conf file [autoexec] is pointing to the game.exe file location are all correct? It may be possible to run your own DOSBOX. Outside of GOG tailored game-specific config files, you only need to install Dosbox once then create a config file for each game and launch it with a shortcut. Documentation is in the DOSBOX\Documentation folder. Eg, if you click on "DOSBox 0.74 Options.bat" it should open up the default config file in notepad. Edit it as needed, often by adding the following under the autoexec section:-

Code:
[autoexec]
mount C C:\DOS
C:\
cd C:\GAMEFOLDER
GAMEFILENAME.COM
exit
changing obvious drive, game folder & file-name install locations for correct ones, then when finished "save as" to whatever game folder and create a Start menu shortcut such as:-

Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox\DOSBox.exe" -conf C:\DOS\GAMEFOLDER\GAMENAME.conf -noconsole -exit
Normally the default audio, MIDI, etc, settings are fine but you may have to tweak other settings (that's where GOG installs often have pre-tweaked settings), eg, CPU cycles settings (or use the normal CTRL-F12/F11 in game) or under "render" add scaler=hq3x for better upscaling picture quality.

Failing that, try GOG support. They were very helpful the only time I needed them and I know the community forums have some very "on the ball" people over there when it comes to troubleshooting.

Last edited:

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
The last time a had a game do that to me in 10, it turned out to be because it wanted me to "run as Administrator."