GOG: EA Weekend Sale - 60% off EA "Classic" Titles (Ultima, WC, Dungeon Keeper)

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Pretty much everything is $2.39 this weekend.

Ironically, the only thing amusing to me is this is the first time I've seen ANYBODY carry the much (rightfully) maligned Ultima IX, which happens to be the only Ultima I don't currently own. I used to own it, but I have no idea where the media went.

Anyway the list:
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
SimCity 2000 SE
Dungeon Keeper
Dungeon Keeper 2
Theme Hospital
Populous
Populous 2: Trials of the Olympian Gods
Populous: The Beginning
Magic Carpet
Syndicate
Wing Commander 1+2
Wing Commander 3 Hear of the Tiger
Wing Commander 4 The Price of Freedom
Wing Commander Privateer
Ultima 1+2+3
Ultima 4+5+6
Ultima 7 The Complete Edition (Black Gate + Serpents Isle + both expansions)
Ultima 8 Gold Edition
Ultima 9 Ascension
Ultima Underworld 1+2
Nox
Lands of Lore 1+2
Lands of Lore 3
Crusader No Remorse
Crusader No Regret
Starflight 1+2

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Nice!

I wish there was a way to convert the graphic on these games to something a little more 'viewable'. Kind of like a DVD upconverter. I have no idea how the hell I used to play games like Populous for hundreds of hours without puking.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
Dood! I need to buy dungeon keeper again, even if I'll just play it for 10 min.. I think I may have bought theme hospital already but I need to check. Maybe I'll finish it this time, unlike when I was 14 years old and got stuck.

How "playable" is Syndicate these days? I thought it looked cool but my friend who owned it had finished it and never wanted to play. Rough childhood I know..

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Nice!

I wish there was a way to convert the graphic on these games to something a little more 'viewable'. Kind of like a DVD upconverter. I have no idea how the hell I used to play games like Populous for hundreds of hours without puking.

Yeah, even with nostalgia glasses, 320x200 looks pretty bad.

What's really too bad is that EA likes to buy companies like Origin and then shelve their classic game designs for decades instead of doing HD remakes.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Nice!

Yeah, even with nostalgia glasses, 320x200 looks pretty bad.

What's really too bad is that EA likes to buy companies like Origin and then shelve their classic game designs for decades instead of doing HD remakes.

In Dungeon Keeper, you can press Alt+R and it doubles the resolution. No mods are needed and it looks much smoother.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Did they fix up Dungeon Keeper 1 or 2 to work better on modern OS's?

I already own both on disc but they give me trouble.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Did they fix up Dungeon Keeper 1 or 2 to work better on modern OS's?

I already own both on disc but they give me trouble.

Yes, that's GOG's specialty. They take old games and tweak them to be 100% compatible with Windows Vista/7 (and future OSes).

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
Is there some rights issue with the Alien Crossfire expansion to Alpha Centauri? It seemed like it was only for sale for a short time 12 years ago, and then disappeared entirely by like 2002.

Alpha Centauri was awesome.

spacelord

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2002
so no client to install with GOG? and no DRM.. sounds too good to be true.
I may just have to order some stuff from them.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Unfortunately I already bought pretty much every single one of those games from GOG already. Oh well, it isn't like they were expensive at full price.

bguile

Nov 30, 2011
Awesome! Finally Ultima IX! Man that game was such a POS when it launched. Never did beat it, or even play it much because of the all the issues. Lost the disc somehow and have always wanted to go back and finish it, but never could find it.

Thanks OP!

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Awesome! Finally Ultima IX! Man that game was such a POS when it launched. Never did beat it, or even play it much because of the all the issues. Lost the disc somehow and have always wanted to go back and finish it, but never could find it.

Thanks OP!

Pretty much my exact same scenario too. :thumbsup:

The only "difference" is I believe a lot of them will come "prepacked" with DOSBox and a windows installer so all you do is install, click and play. No tinkering or anything to worry about. Not quite original out of the box, but pretty much as close as you get.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003

Yup, GOG games are completely DRM free. The only downside is they dont seem to have a huge selection. But if you are looking to pick up older stuff that Steam doesnt carry, they are better than anyone else.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Plus GOG try to make old games work on new systems. You get access to a DK II patch if you buy the game from them, this allows it to work well on modern systems.

I wasted so much time trying to make it work a few years ago and ended up having to play it on my laptops mhd4500 graphics, no more!

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Yup, GOG games are completely DRM free. The only downside is they dont seem to have a huge selection. But if you are looking to pick up older stuff that Steam doesnt carry, they are better than anyone else.

I don't like getting new games on GOG that much, because their system for patches pretty much sucks. It makes sense, because until recently they only sold old games that wouldn't need or get any new patches, but now they sell a bunch of new games.

I think their patching system has been improved though. It used to force you to download the whole game again, but I think it just sends the patch now when it is needed.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I don't like getting new games on GOG that much, because their system for patches pretty much sucks. It makes sense, because until recently they only sold old games that wouldn't need or get any new patches, but now they sell a bunch of new games.

I think their patching system has been improved though. It used to force you to download the whole game again, but I think it just sends the patch now when it is needed.

Keep in mind Steam forces you to use patches whether you want them or not. Sometimes a new version adds more problems than it fixes. That seems to be a big problem in Orcs Must Die.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Well I'm happy to report that Theme Hospital is still fun :)

Even from the opening screen you can tell Bullfog had a sense of humor with their Dungeon Keeper dude sitting in the waiting room of the hospital.