Goddamn this movie..

Mar 15, 2003
I saw "Grave of the Fireflies" today with my roommate... We're both still talking about it, hours later. It's a really powerful movie about war, love, the selfish nature of man and the horrors of pride. I urge everyone to netflix it if they can - I'll buy you a drink if you don't appreciate it. It's not a movie you "like" - it's a movie you think about hours or days after watching.

Quotes from critics to make this netflix decision easier:

"haunting...devastating"
-- Christopher Null, FILMCRITIC.COM

"What can you say about an animated movie that brings despair and continually makes your eyes well up with tears?"
-- John A. Nesbit, TOXICUNIVERSE.COM

"An emotional experience so powerful that it forces a rethinking of animation."
-- Roger Ebert, CHICAGO SUN-TIMES

"Incredibly moving. The ultimate tear-jerker."
-- Alex Sandell, JUICY CEREBELLUM

"One of the most devastating anti-war films ever made, animated or otherwise."
-- Jurgen Fauth, ABOUT.COM

"[Evokes] the experiences of childhood grief, small moments of ordinary life and happiness amid tragedy and fear, and the overwhelming confusion of adult responsibilities falling on teenaged shoulders as powerfully as in any film I've seen."
-- Steven D. Greydanus, DECENT FILMS GUIDE

"When was the last time an animated movie changed your philosophical outlook?" ["dvd review] DVDTown.com

IMDB - TOP 250 FILMS OF ALL TIME: #190. Not bad for a movie no one has heard of.

Skunkwourk

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
probably one of the few animated films that actually made me "feel" something...

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: freedomsbeat212
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
repost.

Yes, and this is the 3rd time i've seen it. I just want new people to discover this amazing movie about WWII that wasn't about NAZIS.

Grave is one of the few movies I will say will bring even the toughest to cry.

It's really about Japan's take on WWII and unfortunately mostly due to the US.

In America we never see the 'other side', this is a movie that shows it.

There are a lot of details that many non-asian people may miss, fortunately my wife was able to tell me about many of them.

My biggest sorrow was about the kid sister. In the end they show all the games she played alone, she had no one really except her food/candy/glass beads.

Mar 15, 2003
I agree, but the movie isn't about politics - there's no long speeches about the evils of America. In fact, america's not mentioned once. it's just a story about survival and despair... If it doesn't make you cry it'll at least make you think. One of the best movies I've ever seen, and I've seen plenty.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
It is on my dvd shelf but I have not yet watched it.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
its the best anime movie i've ever seen. most anime movies are sh*t. u know its true.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
its the best anime movie i've ever seen. most anime movies are sh*t. u know its true.

I respectfully disagree, and think you are a doody head.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
Golden Boy is pretty good.

Shaotai

Platinum Member
Jan 22, 2002
Originally posted by: alkemyst
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
repost.

Yes, and this is the 3rd time i've seen it. I just want new people to discover this amazing movie about WWII that wasn't about NAZIS.

Grave is one of the few movies I will say will bring even the toughest to cry.

It's really about Japan's take on WWII and unfortunately mostly due to the US.

In America we never see the 'other side', this is a movie that shows it.

There are a lot of details that many non-asian people may miss, fortunately my wife was able to tell me about many of them.

My biggest sorrow was about the kid sister. In the end they show all the games she played alone, she had no one really except her food/candy/glass beads.

I know I fought back tears when i watched it.

FYI: They are making a Live Action movie based on the anime version.
Matsushima Nanako will be starring in it too... :)

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I agree, but the movie isn't about politics - there's no long speeches about the evils of America. In fact, america's not mentioned once. it's just a story about survival and despair... If it doesn't make you cry it'll at least make you think. One of the best movies I've ever seen, and I've seen plenty.

someone dropped the bombs...like american stories, Japan is often not mentioned explicitly.

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
I learned firsthand about the horror of pride. You see, there is this class at Rice called ELEC 241, which happens to be the weed-out for elec majors.

I'm a MechE, but I need to take a fair amount of elec classes is order to get my cluster specialization (robotics). Now, they offer elec 243, which is essentially elec 241 for non-majors, but my pride put me into 241.

Elec 241 is the reason I consume large amounts of alchohol on the weekends. It's a nightmare. But hell, I'm almost setting the damn curve, so once it's over I'll look back and be able to say ". . . cool . . ."

dugweb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2002
thanks for the thread :) I'm looking into this movie now

I rarely enjoy movies that don't make you think at least a little, and Ive been running out of ideas of different movies to get. This movie sounds like it should do nicely.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Tons of people have heard of it...I'm sure a good portion here have as well due to our inclination towards anime.

I finally watched Linklater's Waking Life yesterday...don't know what I quite though about it, but it was interesting at the very least.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
meh waking life.. it was full of philosobabble bullsh*t though. actually after u get past the silly computer "enhancement" thats all it is. people bullsh*tting.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
LOL...that's how most people reacted as well :p A little philosophical babble is nice...and I like the animation.

That, and it was good to know if Ethan and Julie's characters really had sex or not ^_^

Chrono

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2001
Damn man. You know how old this shiznit is? You're late like 15 years or something.