GoDaddy broke my site

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
Preliminary history:
Had a friend (now deceased) build me a website. ASP.NET and MS SQL. I bought a domain and hosted the site on shared Windows server on GoDaddy. It has been working for over a decade with no problem.

GoDaddy announced my site was moving to Plesk controlled server. I had no idea what that meant. After I received the email that said it was migrated I tried the site.

Got an error. Called GoDaddy 2 times and talked to 2 different techs. The higher up techs said it was a code problem and they don’t work on user code. No one offered an opinion on why it worked before.

I have since blindly tried a few things and now I am lost. Rightly or wrongly the site root has a default.htm that redirects to a default.aspx in an app folder.

I have a site.master and web.config in both the root and sub folder. Is this right or OK? Which one should have the database connection string?

Right now I just want to get back to the original error. I have a sneaky suspicion what the problem was.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
This was a working site for over 10 years. It was set up fine.

The sites you reference are high level generic help.

Right now I am just trying to determine if web.config and site.master can be in the root and the app folder. And if so, should they have the same sections.

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
Will study that later. Now my problem is the error message displayed contains code that is not in my current default.aspx. Trying to determine if Plesk is not showing me the correct code or coming to my site from the outside is going to a different folder.

Configuring-asp net on Plesk

:cool:

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
Problem solved. Seems the migration to Plesk did not migrate the fact that certain directories needed to be defined as Virtual to IIS. They were defined that way on the old server.

www.ibmjunkman.com