God works in mysterious ways

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Originally posted by: NanoStuff
God stole my bike. He can go fuck himself. Congrats to you though.
:thumbsdown:

Don't worry, God, in his infinite petty vindictiveness will take a moment out of his busy schedule of making sure the universe doesn't implode to smite our heathen friend in such a way that is subtle enough for non-believers to chalk up to coincidence and unfortunate enough to make his equally vindictive minions satisfied.

Speaking of schedule, I've got spot open on Tuesday between kicking puppies at 10am and stealing candy from babies at noon that I might be able to squeeze a quick baptism in. I've had my eye on this new set of Golf clubs that I feel the Lord is just dying for me to have.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: jjzelinski

Don't worry, God, in his infinite petty vindictiveness will take a moment out of his busy schedule of making sure the universe doesn't implode to smite our heathen friend in such a way that is subtle enough for non-believers to chalk up to coincidence and unfortunate enough to make his equally vindictive minions satisfied.

Speaking of schedule, I've got spot open on Tuesday between kicking puppies at 10am and stealing candy from babies at noon that I might be able to squeeze a quick baptism in. I've had my eye on this new set of Golf clubs that I feel the Lord is just dying for me to have.

Why the hate? :confused:

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
Originally posted by: CadetLee

Why the hate? :confused:

What do you mean? It's a plan not a plot. I also get the added benefit being saved from eternal suffering for my run-of-the-mil sins, just in case.

crt1530

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: TechBoyJK
Hi Guys.

I was scammed back in 2001 (while attemtping to start a business) and lost about 21K and had to use credit cards to survive. I defaulted on several of them because I would rather pay back friends and family that needed each and every dollar vs. save my credit and pay back the credit card companys.

Regarding this car purchase, I had about $7k in the bank and used some for down payment..

My rent is only $225 per month, including utilities. Its my friend's house that his parents bought him for his wedding, so he is more concerned about a quality roommate than collecting rent. I have about $300 per month in bills, so rent and bills is about $600 or so. I bring home about $2500 per month after taxes, and I usually have about $1000 per month I save. My credit is actually pretty good relative to how it used to be, the only reason I'm below a 700 is because I'm still trying to settle a credit card I defaulted on 6 years ago. I offered them over 10k to settle the card (final charge off was $10.2K) but the collections agency insisted I pay them over $15k to settle it, citing I owed them for their fees and their 25% interest or whatever. I refused and I have hired an attorney to settle the debt. The attorney has found multiple infractions of the FFDCA (fair debt collections act) and the collections agency might end up owing me money. (they called me several times a day even after given a legal cease and decist that told them only to contact my attorney, as well as they called my mom, dad, and granpda looking for me.) Legally, they can only collect what the original contract was for, so when they threatened to have me put in jail for not paying the debt in full (the $15k), they broke a serious law.

I can completely afford this car. I reasonably attempted to settle, in full, the only outstanding bad debt on my record. Yes, it is a certified Used car, 2004. I have no guilt about the purchase and carefully reviewed my financial situation.

I'm inheriting a small fortune soon, so I really don't care anyway.
They made a big mistake threatening you. Hopefully you have that on tape. Also, the statute of limitations on CC debt in *most* places is seven years. If they don't file against you in court by then and receive a judgment in their favor, they are SOL. Document all of their violations really well (times, dates, recordings) and stop talking to them. It will be over within a year and even if they sue you, you can counter sue for $1,000 per violation (each phone call past the C&D and any threat is a violation, as is talking to your relatives about your debt). You could even file suit before they do.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
You have bad credit and you're getting a high $$$$ toy car like a Z4? Is the reason for the bad credit gone, or are you just recovering a bit and sinking yourself back into a hole?

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Fritzo
You have bad credit and you're getting a high $$$$ toy car like a Z4? Is the reason for the bad credit gone, or are you just recovering a bit and sinking yourself back into a hole?

Hi Guys.

I was scammed back in 2001 (while attemtping to start a business) and lost about 21K and had to use credit cards to survive. I defaulted on several of them because I would rather pay back friends and family that needed each and every dollar vs. save my credit and pay back the credit card companys.

Regarding this car purchase, I had about $7k in the bank and used some for down payment..

My rent is only $225 per month, including utilities. Its my friend's house that his parents bought him for his wedding, so he is more concerned about a quality roommate than collecting rent. I have about $300 per month in bills, so rent and bills is about $600 or so. I bring home about $2500 per month after taxes, and I usually have about $1000 per month I save. My credit is actually pretty good relative to how it used to be, the only reason I'm below a 700 is because I'm still trying to settle a credit card I defaulted on 6 years ago. I offered them over 10k to settle the card (final charge off was $10.2K) but the collections agency insisted I pay them over $15k to settle it, citing I owed them for their fees and their 25% interest or whatever. I refused and I have hired an attorney to settle the debt. The attorney has found multiple infractions of the FFDCA (fair debt collections act) and the collections agency might end up owing me money. (they called me several times a day even after given a legal cease and decist that told them only to contact my attorney, as well as they called my mom, dad, and granpda looking for me.) Legally, they can only collect what the original contract was for, so when they threatened to have me put in jail for not paying the debt in full (the $15k), they broke a serious law.

I can completely afford this car. I reasonably attempted to settle, in full, the only outstanding bad debt on my record. Yes, it is a certified Used car, 2004. I have no guilt about the purchase and carefully reviewed my financial situation.

:confused:

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002

reasons for bad credit are gone, minus one defaulted card of which I have already reasonably tried to settle. that is in the hands of my attorney now, so ive pretty much moved on.

anyways.. im not getting the loan at 12%, im getting it at 4.9

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001

reasons for bad credit are gone, minus one defaulted card of which I have already reasonably tried to settle. that is in the hands of my attorney now, so ive pretty much moved on.

I guess I'm just saying that you're just coming out of some serious debt that you obviously had problems settling. Now you're going to commit to I'm sure well over $600/month payments on a car that's not very practical for a primary car. Would a $10K-$15K car fit the bill a bit more here until you get some money in the bank?

Not putting you down here, I'm just playing devil's advocate so you don't get yourself into more trouble.

akubi

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
So I go get it Monday. weeeeeeeee

I'm going to give him a $100 bill when I pick it up. He could have just gave up but he raised hell with their lender and it actually worked, and saved me almost $160 PER month.

oh you a baller now! 40k boy! lmao

lol

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002

I guess I'm just saying that you're just coming out of some serious debt that you obviously had problems settling. Now you're going to commit to I'm sure well over $600/month payments on a car that's not very practical for a primary car. Would a $10K-$15K car fit the bill a bit more here until you get some money in the bank?

Not putting you down here, I'm just playing devil's advocate so you don't get yourself into more trouble.

the payment is about $510 and my insurance is only going up $10 per month.. I was paying $340 on my last payment which was 17% interest. this new deal is only 4.9%

the car still has 3 years on the warranty, and i probably wont even have it that long. I could die tomorrow so Im treating myself today. I've budgeted everything and im still going to have about $800 per month left over..

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004

the payment is about $510 and my insurance is only going up $10 per month.. I was paying $340 on my last payment which was 17% interest. this new deal is only 4.9%

the car still has 3 years on the warranty, and i probably wont even have it that long. I could die tomorrow so Im treating myself today. I've budgeted everything and im still going to have about $800 per month left over..

You plan on the likely but prepare for the unlikely. It's like you're doing the opposite. Either way, not the end of the world so enjoy!

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002

You plan on the likely but prepare for the unlikely. It's like you're doing the opposite. Either way, not the end of the world so enjoy!

what do you mean? I have money in the bank, a good job and job offers, I'm insured, have a good place to live, this new payment is only about $200 more per month and I'm consistently ending up with over a grand each month that I can stash away after bills.

In all likelihood I won't die for quite a while, but I could die tomorrow. I want the car, and its not stressing me to get it.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
You have poor credit and you want to buy a BMW? Something about that just seems weird to me... shouldn't you have built credit in your early 20s? My credit rules and I'm only 22 with a '95 Camry (paid in full)

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Eeezee
You have poor credit and you want to buy a BMW? Something about that just seems weird to me... shouldn't you have built credit in your early 20s? My credit rules and I'm only 22 with a '95 Camry (paid in full)

my credit is flawless, regarding payments, for the past 5 years.

7 years ago I defaulted on a credit card and never settled it. Its the only thing on my credit, showing about $12k in collections.

However, I tried to settle that account already, which really is only about $10k, but the collections agency refused, so I hired an attorney. He found tons of legal violations on their part, so he is dealing with them.

Other than that, my credit is ok, its in the upper 600's, and once I get that account settled and marked as paid, then it will help out more.. thats just a matter of time, but like i said, for the past 5-6 years i've never missed any payments on credit cards or car loans.

I mean, my credit is good enough that BMW offered me 4.9% on a $28k loan over 5 years, and the payment is only going to be about $200 more than my current payment, which I have paid no problem.. I always pocket about a grand each month after my bills, so if I buy this car, I still have about $800 left over each month which goes into the bank.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
4.9% is excellent for used car right now. Congrats and enjoy your roadster!

Don't tip the finance guy. He doesn't need any more of your money.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I can't help but think that you just got out of one bad financial situation only to hop right into a new one. :(

German sports cars cost a fortune to insure and maintain! I know, because I own one!

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: ultimatebob
I can't help but think that you just got out of one bad financial situation only to hop right into a new one. :(

German sports cars cost a fortune to insure and maintain! I know, because I own one!

but i didn't get in one.. interest is only 4.9%. The car still has 3 years left on its warranty, 2 years left on free maintenance, and my insurance on it is only $10 more a month vs my 2000 Honda accord. And it has less than 30k miles.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

but i didn't get in one.. interest is only 4.9%. The car still has 3 years left on its warranty, 2 years left on free maintenance, and my insurance on it is only $10 more a month vs my 2000 Honda accord. And it has less than 30k miles.

You're well on your way to financial ruin. So, how much do you want to spend per month?

I only offer advice because I was there. Constantly justifying expensive purchases, constantly financing things, constantly rationalizing "I can afford the monthly payment, that means it's OK! See, It's a 'good idea!'"

I woke up in my late 20s and realized just how dumb I had been. Some people never have that realization and keep making the same mistake over and over and over again.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: spidey07

You're well on your way to financial ruin. So, how much do you want to spend per month?

I only offer advice because I was there. Constantly justifying expensive purchases, constantly financing things, constantly rationalizing "I can afford the monthly payment, that means it's OK! See, It's a 'good idea!'"

I woke up in my late 20s and realized just how dumb I had been. Some people never have that realization and keep making the same mistake over and over and over again.

How am I on my way to financial ruin? I have money in the bank, I have prioritized my expenses, I have no other debt (besides one account my attorney is going to settle and it was a Mistake from 7 years ago), I can easily afford the monthly payment all while saving almost $1000 per month..

I'm in my late twenties. I've been through hell. I want something nice. I make almost $40k per year, and just turned down a job making almost $60k because my job here is sooo easy its not even funny. Not to mention one floor below where I work I have a business I'm working on, so I can work in the same building alll day.

jjzelinski

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2004
Originally posted by: TallBill
So a fictional character helped you out today?

Hey what if he's NOT fictional, don't you think we should all err on the side of salvation?