God is getting dementia/Alzheimers?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
I'm not sure why representative policies being dictated by their religion is a new concept to you, but by your definition, "being a religious nutcase" that gets elected isn't showing favoritism on the part of the government. Merely whatever the electorate (i.e. people) gravitated to the most from the choices. And they go with the platform because it's, as you say it, "what is best" in their view. That's the nature of this representative democracy.

You seem confused as to what "separation of church and state" actually entails. Why the hell do you think people are still debating abortion, gay marriage, or genetic policy? Belief conflict. I don't think politicians are right to tell the American public when they can't do something just because of a conflict of belief, but that's what the process needs to sort out.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I thought there was separation of church and state?

Seperation OF does not mean seperation FROM.

The purprose of there being no government establishment of religion was to prevent the creation of the Church of the United States, like the Church of England.

Its purpose was not to attempt to destroy religion.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
http://politicalwire.com/archives/2011/10/14/god_as_political_consultant.html

"Anita Perry said yesterday her husband Rick Perry was called by God to run for president and noted some of his rivals for the Republican nomination "may feel like God called them too."

Apparently, according to Bloomberg, that's very true.

Karen Santorum, wife of Rick Santorum, said her husband was also called, noting "we believe with all our hearts that this is what God wants."

Michele Bachmann said she regularly receives "assurance" from God about her direction, including running for office.

Herman Cain has also said that God wanted him to run. "I just know at this point I am following God's plan."

God must be forgetting who it called to run for the Presidency of the US.

Or, God Forbid, maybe some of these "candidates" have lied about their conversations with God?

If it's true that God "spoke" to all of them, Does that mean he was messing with all of them but one? :sneaky:

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
If there is a God, and He really gives a Holy Shit about who is elected President, then logically, God preferred Obama to any of the Republican candidates during the last election.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If there is a God, and He really gives a Holy Shit about who is elected President, then logically, God preferred Obama to any of the Republican candidates during the last election.

Ironically, this is a Traditional view of Christianity. Was one of the reasons why Monarchy was so popular in Europe and to this day most Evangelicals usually at least state this kind of sentiment. The RW Christian element within the Republican Party is not so much the result of Christian Thought, but the result of Politics co-opting Religion.

Spikesoldier

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
when the voices are in your head, there is no telling whose voice it was.

ill agree the crazies wish it was god

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
You can actually hear God if you listen. His voice is not heard as some big booming voice, nor any audible voice at all. Those days of direct contact are gone.

His voice is heard as feelings...pushes to do XYZ. God's voice replaces the conscience in those who believe.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
If god wants hillary clinton to be our president then their are a lot of folks in America who might have to change sides.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
I believe these people. Problem is this is the Bible god they are referring to .

Why god destroyed Bable .

But the LORD came down to see the city and the tower the people were building. 6 The LORD said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. 7 Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other.”

If this is god I am his enemy. A god who doesn't want his people to advance and grow . I may not Know Gods nature , But I do know My God would never destroy for the reason given here . In old testament there seems to be 3 differant gods

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
You can actually hear God if you listen. His voice is not heard as some big booming voice, nor any audible voice at all. Those days of direct contact are gone.

His voice is heard as feelings...pushes to do XYZ. God's voice replaces the conscience in those who believe.

A convenient rationalization and also a self-reinforcing delusion, to be sure.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
IIf this is god I am his enemy. A god who doesn't want his people to advance and grow . I may not Know Gods nature , But I do know My God would never destroy for the reason given here . In old testament there seems to be 3 differant gods

When taken out of context, you can create any type of thing you wish. God did not mind that people were creating, being successful, etc. The issue was with mankind deluding itself that we are as powerful as God because we can build a tall tower.

It was the impending destruction of ourselves in a very rapid manner that God did not like or want to see happen.

But as an aside, I would bet against you in a war against God. :)