God is getting dementia/Alzheimers?

wirelessenabled

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001
http://politicalwire.com/archives/2011/10/14/god_as_political_consultant.html

"Anita Perry said yesterday her husband Rick Perry was called by God to run for president and noted some of his rivals for the Republican nomination "may feel like God called them too."

Apparently, according to Bloomberg, that's very true.

Karen Santorum, wife of Rick Santorum, said her husband was also called, noting "we believe with all our hearts that this is what God wants."

Michele Bachmann said she regularly receives "assurance" from God about her direction, including running for office.

Herman Cain has also said that God wanted him to run. "I just know at this point I am following God's plan."

God must be forgetting who it called to run for the Presidency of the US.

Or, God Forbid, maybe some of these "candidates" have lied about their conversations with God?

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
LOL that's hilarious. Religious people :awe::awe::awe:

Also, I question whether someone that hears voices should really be running for president? :hmm:

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Assuming that it is God's will for all of these candidate to run (I am in no way saying that this is true), it would obviously not be His will for all of them to win, or even any of them to win. His purpose for them all running would not be confined to them winning. If they think that God's will for them to run = automatic victory, they are wrong.

I am guessing that statements like these are more for pulling votes rather than a reflection on spiritual things.

Dec 30, 2004

"Anita Perry said yesterday her husband Rick Perry was called by God to run for president and noted some of his rivals for the Republican nomination "may feel like God called them too."

Karen Santorum, wife of Rick Santorum, said her husband was also called, noting "we believe with all our hearts that this is what God wants."

Michele Bachmann said she regularly receives "assurance" from God about her direction, including running for office.

Herman Cain has also said that God wanted him to run. "I just know at this point I am following God's plan."

Or, God Forbid, maybe some of these "candidates" have lied about their conversations with God?

this really is not a big deal.
Hillary Clinton needs an easy opponent to win against. God could well be calling them so that Hillary can win and fix some of the mistakes Obama has made.

Binarycow

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2010
I told my wife the plan that God has for me is to procreate with her daily...through her digestive tract and she just laughed at me.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
Just because they received a call to run doesn't mean any of them are electable.

Of course, when you look at what we have now ....

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

HAHAHA Thx for the morning belly laugh :biggrin::biggrin:

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Assuming that it is God's will for all of these candidate to run (I am in no way saying that this is true), it would obviously not be His will for all of them to win, or even any of them to win. His purpose for them all running would not be confined to them winning. If they think that God's will for them to run = automatic victory, they are wrong.

I am guessing that statements like these are more for pulling votes rather than a reflection on spiritual things.

Lmao. The bum on the corner also speaks to god. Maybe we should put him in charge?

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Anyone who hears the voice of god (or gods) should be rejected, they ain't stable.

I also heard or read a while ago that a form of epilepsy can cause people to hear the voice of god. Not sure I'd want an epileptic as president, would not want someone to have a seizure at the least opportune moment. (Up until I was around 10 or so I was thought to be an epileptic, I had seizures and everything but they just stopped. Had to take phenobarbital to counter the seizures. never once did I hear the voice of god but I did have out of body experiences when I went into seizures.)

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
For those religious people, feeling they have God called on them means this:

You remember those Saturday morning cartoons where you have an angel and a devil on the shoulder of the particular character. One is telling them to do it, the other one not.

Same thing. Most secular people call this "conscience"... Religious people call it "God's calling." Religious people believe God is the conscience.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
The only reason these idiots are running is because they are using religion as an excuse

I agree, you think your communicating to god --- The only thing they should be running for is the nearest psychward.

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
I don't have faith in people who use "being told by God" as justification for being in political office because it means nothing to me. You might as well say "I'm doing this just because." Religious belief is not as good an indicator of a moral compass as people would like to believe because everything from charity to mass-murder has been done from that single motivation.

I thought there was separation of church and state?

People =/= state. The government can't show favoritism but that doesn't prevent people from voting their icon of choice.

I also heard or read a while ago that a form of epilepsy can cause people to hear the voice of god. Not sure I'd want an epileptic as president, would not want someone to have a seizure at the least opportune moment.

I've read a couple studies like this, the one that sticks out was association of left temporal lobe epilepsy and hyperreligiousity. One of the more interesting articles I read during undergrad. I'd share but I'm sure it's buried in hardcopy form somewhere.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Can someone give a single good reason why religious faith and claims of being in contact with supernatural beings are not considered to be mental illnesses?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Can someone give a single good reason why religious faith and claims of being in contact with supernatural beings are not considered to be mental illnesses?

Because anybody who believes in anything at all is guilty of exactly the same thing. The insane make the rules and they don't make rules that would put them away.

You should be in a mental institution, but you won't be put in one for this reason.

YoungGun21

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
People =/= state. The government can't show favoritism but that doesn't prevent people from voting their icon of choice.

You don't think the government would show favoritism towards religious policies if one of these people was elected?

IGemini

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 2010
You don't think the government would show favoritism towards religious policies if one of these people was elected?

nsissm.jpg

The government stopping the election of any president based on their religion would be a flagrant Constitutional violation. Most of the GOP candidates are Baptist, Clinton was the last Baptist elected. Only six presidents in our history weren't affiliated with any religion.

Last edited:

YoungGun21

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
The government stopping the election of any president based on their religion would be a flagrant Constitutional violation. Most of the GOP candidates are Baptist, Clinton was the last Baptist elected. Only six presidents in our history weren't affiliated with any religion.

Never once said to stop their election, don't know where the fuck you picked that up.

I was saying that obviously they are religious nutcases, so that if they were elected then all of their policies would be firmly grounded from their religious sides. Then they will try to run the country from their book, rather than doing what is best.