GOD I HATE IDIOT BIDDERS ON EBAY

Yoshi911

Feb 11, 2006
WHY CANT YOU JUST LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE..

all bidding on items that doesnt happen right before the end is a crazy waste.... why cant people just snipe, the one with the highest wins... these dumb nobie idiots just keep driving the price up instead of bidding smart....

GRRR.
just had to say it to someone that would hear me instead of fuming to myself..

lol,
:p

Wow this is awesome all the talk it's caused, guess it struck a chord. Firstofall, I've sold 1 thing on Ebay and I was rejoiceing that newbies were bidding all through it, I payed $0 for the item (it was an item work was throwing away) and i got $300+ for it.

BUT: (on the buyers side) Looney's QUOTE: "
Or you can say that without sniping, you're not caught in the heat of the moment and bid without thinking, ending up with an item you would pay more than you're willing to otherwise.
"
for ME this is not true, I set in my mind the max I'm willing to pay, and so WITHOUT DRIVING THE PRICE UP, I wait till 10secs left in the auction and BID THE MAX I AM WILLING TO PAY. If I dont get it I'm glad, because I can get the price I want by sniping another day.

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I don't snipe. I just put in the max i'm willing to pay for said item and just leave it at that. I don't have time to pay attention to every auction until the last minute.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Yoshi911

all bidding on items that doesnt happen right before the end is a crazy waste.... why cant people just snipe, the one with the highest wins... these dumb nobie idiots just keep driving the price up instead of bidding smart....

GRRR.

lol,

Not everyone can be there at the end and/or has a fast enough interenet connection. That being said, I always snipe and I am awesome at it.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
I don't understand your complaint. If you put in the max you were willing to pay, then either you got the item for a good price, or the winner paid too much for it;)

Although if everyone sniped then the n00bs wouldn't have a chance to counter.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Looney
I don't snipe. I just put in the max i'm willing to pay for said item and just leave it at that. I don't have time to pay attention to every auction until the last minute.

:thumbsup: Me too. If I don't win, it wasn't worth it. I really don't understand sniping. My only guess is that those who use it aren't able to put a maximum price that they are willing to pay on an item, or are bidding on multiple items at the same time.

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006

QFTMFET!

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
I agree with the OP. I like getting a good price... bidding before the end only benefits the seller. Makes no sense as the buyer. Most humans have super low intelligence... so it makes no sense to them.

Most people are also incredibly dumb with money.

Why would you put in what you would pay up front ... it severely increases the money you'll pay and increases the chance someone will outbid you by 50 cents to win.

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
Originally posted by: tk149

:thumbsup: Me too. If I don't win, it wasn't worth it. I really don't understand sniping. My only guess is that those who use it aren't able to put a maximum price that they are willing to pay on an item, or are bidding on multiple items at the same time.

Sniping is effective because of the 'teh n00bs'. They're bidding on an item. Someone outbids them, and then they re-evaluate what they're willing to pay. And so on. Their behavior makes it more likely for me to win by sniping than putting in my max bid 4 days before the auction expires.

2Dead

Feb 19, 2005
I would only put the amount up before hand if I wouldn't be around at the close time. I don't remember the last time I won an auction without sniping. Sniping is really the way to go.

Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: mundane

Sniping is effective because of the 'teh n00bs'. They're bidding on an item. Someone outbids them, and then they re-evaluate what they're willing to pay. And so on. Their behavior makes it more likely for me to win by sniping than putting in my max bid 4 days before the auction expires.

yep, they think they are only willing to pay $30, but if they have time to think about it, they usually will pay more...its annoying though I hate having to snipe

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
If I've said it once, I've said it a THOUSAND times. With the new ebay feature of inputting your max bid, there is NO SUCH THING AS SNIPING auctions anymore. You simply put your maximum willingness to pay in terms of US dollars in the box and wait. Either you win or you don't.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: chambersc
If I've said it once, I've said it a THOUSAND times. With the new ebay feature of inputting your max bid, there is NO SUCH THING AS SNIPING auctions anymore. You simply put your maximum willingness to pay in terms of US dollars in the box and wait. Either you win or you don't.

Do people really think like this? I call them suckers.

Jul 12, 2001

i used to think this way, but its because there are a lot of morons out there who will pay more then they originally think they will...if you don't give them time to think about it, they cant put in a higher bid

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Someone had deeper pockets, eh?

I'm guessing this has to do with some CPUs or motherboards.

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: shadow9d9

Originally posted by: MrDingleDangle

i used to think this way, but its because there are a lot of morons out there who will pay more then they originally think they will...if you don't give them time to think about it, they cant put in a higher bid

It's called the "maximum willingness to pay." For instance, if you're buying a widget, where it says "Max bid," put in value which you wouldn't want to pay any higher for. If the widget is going for $.3 and you will pay a max of $4 for it, then put in $4 and let ebay's algorithm sort out the sequential bids. By definition, "maximum willingness to pay," which I equate to eBay's "Max Bid" feature, is the maximum amount that you would pay for that widget. The "max bid" isn't a "oh, well I'd LIKE to buy it for $.5" value...it's the MAXIMUM PRICE you'll pay.

AbsolutDealage

Platinum Member
Dec 20, 2002
It's called the "maximum willingness to pay." For instance, if you're buying a widget, where it says "Max bid," put in value which you wouldn't want to pay any higher for. If the widget is going for $.3 and you will pay a max of $4 for it, then put in $4 and let ebay's algorithm sort out the sequential bids. By definition, "maximum willingness to pay," which I equate to eBay's "Max Bid" feature, is the maximum amount that you would pay for that widget. The "max bid" isn't a "oh, well I'd LIKE to buy it for $.5" value...it's the MAXIMUM PRICE you'll pay.

That's not a new ebay feature. We are all well aware of the way that the ebay bidding system works.

Having said that, you will always get the item cheaper if you snipe than if you drag out the bidding over many hours/days.

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
eBay rox0rz my b0x0rz today. I listed a used 135mm lens for my SLR last night - 7 day listing and someone used Buy It Now within 1 hour. w00tisms

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000

Same here. If I win I win, if not, oh well. I'll just find another auction for the same thing and bid again.

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Yoshi911

GRRR.

lol,

when you are the seller, you thank god that these people exist.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I like to bid the highest price I know won't win, and do it well before the end..preferably in increments of a dollar.

hopefully it pisses off snipers, who have pissed me off plenty of times.

Jun 14, 2003

i usually just put in a bid and leave too, unless its something like this 2005fpw i just bought

it was the only auction for this monitor and i wanted it, so i had to get sniping.

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: shadow9d9

You sound like the impluse buyer that gets tricked into paying more because you wait until the last minute.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
That's not too bad, and good for sellers :)

But I hate it when people complain to me that they lost an auction by only $1.00. LOL!