god i am majorly p!ssed off [feel i got scammed]

acidvoodoo

Platinum Member
Jan 6, 2002
ok ok, i'm abit drunk now, but i think i'm well enough to explain this.

backround: for christmas my dad came over to england, gave me a 50 pound note as a xmas gift, it was good.
so then like a week ago i knew i mite go out that night, so i took my fifty quid note to the supermarket and payed for my lunch with it, to get change, recieved about 48 pounds back, which included 2 twenty pound notes and some change.
i didn't end up going out and saved the money, used one of the twenties during the next week and left the other one on my desk.

fast forward to tonite, going out into the city to get abit drunk as it was my birthday. went to a few bars, then went to this one bar and had a few drinks [alot were bought for me]. later on, i went to buy me and my friend a drink, ordered em, when she asked for the money i gave her my other 20 quid note from a week ago. she held it up to some uv light and said "erm sorry we can't accept this" and kind of laughed at me. i was like "what?!, i got that in change from tecso [the supermarket]" . "errrrrr sorry but this is so fake". "sh!t, well, can i have it back, i'll go to tesco and tell them!". "no, we have to destroy it" "YOU WHAT, for f!cks sake, thats 20 quid here, jesus christ". at that point i was majorly pissed off and went back to my table.

i told them what happend, my friend was like "WTF THAT SUCKS" and we went back to the bar to talk to someone, hopefully a maneger or something. we finally got the attention of the person that served me, who also got some other guy who had my note, and he got another note and he compared them under the UV light to demnstrate why my note was "fake" and how to show what is real. i accepted that it was fake then, but i said "tesco could be doing this to loads of people, if their employees don't know what a fake note is then they could be accepting and distributing them to anyone", "no we have to destroy it" etc etc. "ok, i'm going to go to tesco and tell them whats happend, but i need to make sure you've documented this, what is the managers name, and this places address", guy ses to another girl working the bar "thats the manager there, her name is mindy". i got pissed and said "thats not the f!cking manger" , he said "hahaha mindy, he ses you are not the manger, why isn't she?", "because a real maneger would act profressional and give her full name and the address of this place, not her f!cking first name" then he's just like "huhuhuh it's mindy" [while this whole convo is goin on they are still serving drinks so i'm not gettin 100% attetion]. eventually, after alot of shouting and pissing them off, they said something like tesco wouldn't do anything, but i shouted more cause all i wanted to know is "will the incident of you recieving a fake 20 pound note be documented" and i got a dodgy "Yes". my name was never taken down, nothing like that, i was f!cking treated like an idiot, i was abit drunk but could understand everything that went on and tried my best to sort it, even though they were rude"

in the end i just said "F!CK THIS SH!T" and left.

so i'm out of twenty quid, i dont feel i did anything wrong. my rule of the thumb has always been that if the note has a water mark [you hold it up to a light and see the queens head] then it's real, i assumed the note had been left in trouser pockets and the coloud had faded, thats why i thought it was still real.

was havin such a great birthday night until this. btw 20 quid is about 30 dollars, and to a highscool student its alot, seeming as it was a christmas present also.

cliff notes
-payed for lunch at supermarket with 50 pound note i got for xmas, got change, included 2 20 pound notes
-tried to use one of the twenty pound notes at a bar, they laughed and said it was fake
-i asked for it back and they said they had to keep it and destroy it, i said i wanted to show it to tesco[supermarket]
- they said no, i completly complied and understood why it was fake, so i asked for so kind of confirmation that it would be documented
-maneger wouldn't give full name, no address was given, staff were rude, unprofessional IMO, took ages to get them to hesitently say it would be documented it was fake
-in the end i was so frustrated i left, i never saw the note destroyed, never got a name or address, they never took my name or anything
-good birthday night turned into me getting so angry, it's not alot of money but it still is money that i've lost for nothing

something i should clafify: i'm 17, legal drinking age is 18, but usually as long as you look 18 you are fine, in this case they assued i was 18 so age has nothing to do with it

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
what's the legal drinking age over there again? anyways, $30 is not a lot to have a cow over.

damiano

Platinum Member
May 29, 2002
even the cliff notes are too long read
ps: you are a talkative drunk aren't you :)

acidvoodoo

Platinum Member
Jan 6, 2002
according to my friends "when you are drunk i say what i want to say rather then bottle it up"

and yea 30 dollars isn't alot but it still really has annoyed me cause it could happen to anyone

fs5

Lifer
Jun 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Crazymofo
highschool, drunk, bar... those three things do not belong together!?!?

well if he's 18 it's fine where he lives.. oh wait he's not 18.
maybe the bar took the money from you because you were underage. Maybe they didn't ask you about your age but maybe they were trying to teach you a lesson.

acidvoodoo

Platinum Member
Jan 6, 2002
nah theres no way in hell, i'd been getting served all night by the same girl when i used my "other" money

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000
The bar just destroying the bill doesn't seem right, if it's counterfeit then you'd think they would need to turn it over to law enforcement. I would say contact the police to determine if what they did was even proper, but since you were underage drinking then maybe not such a good idea.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Hmm, that sounds shifty. If I was giving a fake note to somebody and they 'wanted to destroy it', I'd say screw this the cops are in on this immediately, and see what they have to say about it. Sadly, trying to buy goods with a counterfeit bill can land you in sh*t if there is any reason to think that you knew it was fake. In this case you didn't, but it's not the responsibility of a vendor at all to destroy a counterfeit note. I'm sure they are supposed to report it to police.

acidvoodoo

Platinum Member
Jan 6, 2002
i spoke to the police, who didn't really give a sh!t, but they did say that if you take a counterfeit note to the bank they'll exchange it, and the bank destroys it, so i reckon the bar staff who were all idiots anyway will prolly exchange it and pocket the money themselves, wouldn't suprise me.

havent spoken to tesco yet, but apperently a few months ago there was an article in the newspaper about tesco giving out fake 20 and 50 pound notes, so hopefully they mite do something.

ah well i pretty much had a good birthday cept for that

You're a moron for not getting the police physically out there in person at the bar. The bobbies would have straightened this out in no time.

Is this a scene from LOTR 3?
Quids, tescos, pounds, uv lights.......

j/j sry to hear this, i would have been livid...