God damn flickering!!!

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
what the hell is causing this flickerin on my computer. my monitor refresh rate is set to a 100hz and i still get the occasional flicker. it only happens in certain direct 3d games. is this common??? i was just playin the tony hawk 2 demo and it flickers all over the place!!!

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
please my monitor is the iiyama visionmaster 450 pro. i think it can handle it. I notice that it is like a white flash for just an instant. it happens rarely but its kinda annoyin. does nebdy experience this. it is kinda like what happens when i play a tombraider game on my playstation.

Comp10

May 23, 2000
The problem could be that your refresh rate for the resolutions you use in the game is not set to the optimal level. Go through to the display properties and change each different resolution's refresh rate to the desired level and see if that fixes it.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
you are running a geforce what did you expect. if you are getting flickering at 1280 or 1600 then its the geforce i'd say. still try some lower refresh rates.

Syborg1211

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2000
so i guess Hans is an anti-geforce guy. MOST DEFINITELY NOT the card itself. Maybe settings, but unless that card is defective, you should have NO problems.

fodd3r

Sep 15, 2000
try setting your refresh rate to optimal, if it still flickers, make sure vsync is on. my friend couldn't play quake 3 without flickering, unless he had vsync on.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
i have my refresh at 100hz at 1024X768 at 32 bit color. this is what i play most games at. I just saw another thread where i guy experienced polygon flashing. this is what i experience. however it only happens rarely, but enough to piss me off. stupid geforces have so many probs!!!!

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
hey i'm just saying that from experience. I dont know what you guys call "flickering" but when you put up a white background and it sort of shimmers on white, that is flickering. anyways... i didnt read that he said its only on certain 3d games, sorry, but if it happens on 2d thats the reason, you probably have a driver problem.

Shudder

Platinum Member
May 5, 2000
Is Vsync on or off?

I would get mad flickering in some games and it drove me crazy until one day I reinstalled the card/drivers and didn't turn off vsync. Bingo. Solved the problem.

Phalkon

Banned
Aug 20, 2000
I'm thinking bad drivers.
Download the lastest drivers for your card if you haven't already
Upgrade DirectX if you haven't already
If you're overclocking your video card, ramp it down a bit.

It sounds like texture flickering to me. Make sure that somewhere in your settings that your DirectX texture centring is set to the very middle value (I'm too lazy to look it up) It helps me.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
thanks for the help, i will try setting my direct x textel origin thingy to the middle like you said. funny, whenever i turn on fsaa the problem goes away.