Go to college for 4 years? or save ~60k in 2?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: TheSiege
Originally posted by: Maximus96
some people do very well w/o going to college. however that does not appear to be the norm.

as a side note, both my jobs have a lot of potentional for advancement...w/o a degree

then there you go. School isn't for everyone and frankly quite pointless if you already have a stable job. In your situation, with ample room for advancement, I'd suggest work.

Legend

Platinum Member
Apr 21, 2005
Go to a state school in a good degree, like engineering. Stay in the top of the class and get scholarships for a full ride. Co-op/intern to get experience and start a Roth IRA while in school. Use your experience from working to give you the extra edge in interviewing and get a good paying, stable job.

So in short: BOTH.

kalster

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2002
Originally posted by: chambersc
Originally posted by: Maximus96
some people do very well w/o going to college. however that does not appear to be the norm.

as a side note, both my jobs have a lot of potentional for advancement...w/o a degree

then there you go. School isn't for everyone and frankly quite pointless if you already have a stable job. In your situation, with ample room for advancement, I'd suggest work.

I hear this a lot, "school isnt for everyone". Is there any data which shows how many ceo's/ exec's got to that point without any formulation education , well no degree essentially, just curios

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
i hate school, plain and simple.

There is your answer.

No need to do something you hate. You like your tech support job so stick with it.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: kalster
I hear this a lot, "school isnt for everyone". Is there any data which shows how many ceo's/ exec's got to that point without any formulation education , well no degree essentially, just curios

You won't find it. I'd guess less than 10%.

No degree means you have much larger hurdles to overcome.

there are exceptions for sure, but at large no degree = short ceiling.

In OPs case you can show that no degree will limit his income during a lifetime. The only way out of that is his own business.

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
i work 2 jobs right now, and when all is said and done i save about 30k a year.
so my options are, keep on working and save 60k in 2 years, or more if i want to keep doing this, or go to college. 60k would be a nice down payment on a house and i could always use my 401k also ~12k by then. making my house payments easily affordable for anyone or should i go to college, i already have my associates in general education.

i hate school, plain and simple.
work or school?

If you hate school and are burned out, then college isn't for you - at least not right now. There's nothing wrong with taking a little time to figure things out. College is one of those things that if you're going to do it, you want to do it right. Save your $60k and re-evaluate your situation in 24 months.

Whatever you do, DON'T lose sight of your longterm goals. If you're longterm goal is Rocket Science, but you get a few promotions during the next two years, DON'T SETTLE! RETURN TO YOUR GOALS!!!!

I can't stress that enough.