Go Canon!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: SampSon
Just about every camera is capable of taking great pictures.
It all has to do with who is using it.
Indeed.

It's like saying... Brand X pots & pans sucks, I can't ever make a good meal with them.. Brand Y is much better!

bockchow

Platinum Member
Sep 18, 2001
Originally posted by: SampSon
Just about every camera is capable of taking great pictures.
It all has to do with who is using it.

yep i have a canon sd100 elph and all my pics suck but i had the cam over to someone else and the pics rock, i just suck at takeing pictures.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Slow shutter speeds at low light may cause blurring...

Pg. 76 of the manual:
  • Locking The Focus (AF Lock)

It may be difficult to focus on the following types of subjects. Use the focus lock in these situations.

Subjects with extremely low contrast to the surroundings.
    Subjects with extremely bright objects at the center of the composition...
I've got my own wondrous Canon images!

Edit: I could turn my SONY over to my 7 year old nephew to shoot 20 pictures in five minutes, and 18 of them would be in perfect focus. Sometimes the technology can make anyone a better snap shooter. A point and shoot camera, especially a > $300.00 one, ought to work effortlessly in almost ALL conditions.

Lifer

Banned
Feb 17, 2003
Originally posted by: Deeko
Why are two of the worst brands on top? The top three should definitely be Canon, Olympus, and Nikon.

Sony makes great cameras. give credit where it is due.
they have great lens and memory stick, albeit a proprietary medium and more expensive (therefore less popular), is better technology than SD/CF.

Phuz

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2000
Ornery, quit preachin'.
Perhaps it was simply that you couldn't take advantage of the camera properly.

I make out just fine with my A70.
Ill also mention that not ONE of these pictures were taken with a tripod, and I have a terribly unsteady hand.

Great, now you can take thousands of blurry pictures, but save $10.00 on a memory card!

I won't dignify that. I know you know better.

KokomoGST

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Lifer
Why are two of the worst brands on top? The top three should definitely be Canon, Olympus, and Nikon.

they have great lens and memory stick, albeit a proprietary medium and more expensive (therefore less popular), is better technology than SD/CF.

Better technology than SD/CF because it's proprietary?? :confused:
That's like saying Apple has the fastest computers in the world because they're only made by Apple! :D:p

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: KokomoGST
Originally posted by: Lifer

Better technology than SD/CF because it's proprietary?? :confused:
That's like saying Apple has the fastest computers in the world because they're only made by Apple! :D:p

I think what he means is that although it is proprietary and more expensive, it is better technology then SD/CF.

EDIT: I love my sony's. Cameras went P52 to P7 to P10 (current).

SherEPunjab

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
i prefer epson printers [inkjet]. my epson stylus color 880 has got to be one of the best inket printers EVAR. I got it for like 38 bucks from dell 2 years ago, and its running very strong, uses 2-3 dollar cartridges from megatoner, and the quality is great. I absolutely love this printer. I recently printed approx. 600 color invitations 5.5"x8.5" 10% coverage, using only half the cartridge each (Blk, and clr). btw, my business we use some canon inkjets and they are decent, better than lexmark and definitely hp's, but nothing like the 880.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Kauru
Go Kodak! :) I recently got the EasyShare camera and printing dock!

`K

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that.

<----- Has owned "2" Kodak cameras, but is very happy with the better photo quality of the Canon digital cameras. :)

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: TheToOTaLL
Originally posted by: DaWhim
Originally posted by: Sid59
HP = 113% growth

according to RossMan, STAY AWAY FROM HP OR KODAK!

I call for a BAN on those who do not heed the wise words of RossMAN......

rolleye.gif
suck ass

gittyup

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2000
When my wife uses my Nikon 995, she alwas complains that the images are not clear because of any slight moves she makes. Is there a good Canon model that compensates for slight movements by the user? Some form of image stabilization?

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
Originally posted by: Ornery
Slow shutter speeds at low light may cause blurring...

Pg. 76 of the manual:
  • Locking The Focus (AF Lock)

It may be difficult to focus on the following types of subjects. Use the focus lock in these situations.

Subjects with extremely low contrast to the surroundings.
    Subjects with extremely bright objects at the center of the composition...
I've got my own wondrous Canon images!

Edit: I could turn my SONY over to my 7 year old nephew to shoot 20 pictures in five minutes, and 18 of them would be in perfect focus. Sometimes the technology can make anyone a better snap shooter. A point and shoot camera, especially a > $300.00 one, ought to work effortlessly in almost ALL conditions.

slow shutter speed at low light in ANY camera would cause blurriness. that is the NATURE of light, and photography. slow shutter obviously would result in blur. low light creates the need for a slow shutter speed. the 3 fixes are flash on, higher sensitivity/iso, and/or larger aperture... canons arent limited in any of those categories relative to other cameras.

i dont see how these faults can be attributed to the camera

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You neglected to address the focus lock issue of the Canon when in low light situations. I've documented the problem. The room with the "low light" was pretty well lit with reflected daylight, yet the camera's auto focus would NOT lock. The focus box just flashes yellow and allows you to take the picture anyway, as it does when a slow shutter speed is selected. If it's in full auto, it should be bumping up the ISO, rather than selecting a ridiculously slow shutter. But hey, God forbid you buy a camera that CAN do the job, because the memory card costs $10.00 more!

Might as well mention that I've already heard the excuses for this camera. It was taken back to the store and compared to another. It was actually able to lock focus in low contrast shots more often than the one at the store. If it was defective, so was the second camera. If that one was also defective, it doesn't say much for Canon quality!

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Phuz
Ornery, quit preachin'.
Perhaps it was simply that you couldn't take advantage of the camera properly.

I make out just fine with my A70.
Ill also mention that not ONE of these pictures were taken with a tripod, and I have a terribly unsteady hand.

Great, now you can take thousands of blurry pictures, but save $10.00 on a memory card!

I won't dignify that. I know you know better.
This is strictly about the low light focus issue with the S50 I had. I was told that it could be everything from a defective camera to "just something you have to deal with". Well, I KNOW my F707 can do the job without a hitch. I assumed the V1 would also be able to do it, and the very first image out of the camera proved I was right. I said, "I'll post pictures the Canon couldn't take, next to the same images executed PERFECTLY by the SONY." Here they are. This has NOTHING to do with the image quality, but EVERYTHING to do with quickly snapping shots in low light.