GM Revs Up Incentives After GMAC Bailout

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
http://online.wsj.com/article/...?mod=yahoo_hs&ru=yahoo

DETROIT -- General Motors Corp. said Tuesday it will offer 0% financing on some models in a bid to jump-start sales, helped by a federal government cash infusion to its GMAC LLC funding arm. The auto maker's North America sales chief said management is also considering a return to the leasing business and expects dealers to get more aggressive after GMAC got the $6 billion commitment Monday.

"Hopefully we can return to leasing but at a much lower risk," Mark LaNeve said in a conference call Tuesday. "It is something we are looking at but no decisions have been made."

The largest U.S. auto maker by revenue had to scale back incentives and halt leasing in a stagnant domestic market as loss-making GMAC wrestled with a restructuring plan that left it unable to provide loans and leases.

The auto and real-estate lender didn't write a single lease in November, and issued 22% fewer auto loans in the third quarter compared with a year earlier. Ford Motor Co. also tightened lending while Chrysler LLC exited loan financing altogether.

GM's move could reignite a price battle, as Toyota Motor Co. and Honda Motor Co. Ltd. are offering aggressive incentives after U.S. car and light-truck sales fell to a 25-year low in November. Just three years ago, when U.S. rivals introduced 0% deals, the Japanese manufacturers eschewed such deals.

GMAC's expanded lending applies only to retail sales, but the company is also a crucial funds supplier to GM's dealer network.

GM is attempting to revive car buying that has been stymied by a slowing economy and the inability of customers with lower credit scores to access money from banks that are themselves receiving federal bailout money.

GM will offer financing through GMAC at rates as low as 0% for up to 60 months on select new cars and trucks. The reduced rate is available through Jan. 5 on 2008 and select 2009 models.

GMAC said it will modify its credit criteria to include financing for customers with a credit score of 621 or higher, compared with the 700 minimum score it put in place two months ago. It won't finance higher-risk transactions, defined by a credit score of 620 or below. The median U.S. consumer credit score is 723.

"We will continue to employ responsible credit standards, but will be able to relax the constraints we put in place a few months ago due to the credit crisis," GMAC President Bill Muir said in a statement.

J.P. Morgan analyst Himanshu Patel said in a research note that the GMAC funding reduces the likelihood that GM would be forced to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

"While an eventual GM Chapter 11 cannot be entirely dismissed if various stakeholders fail to meet required concessions, federal aid to GMAC suggests the government is probably now so financially entangled in that a Chapter 7 liquidation of [GM's auto operations] seems highly unlikely," Mr. Patel said.

0% for 60 months on select models and 4.9% for 60 months on other cars like the Corvette. Credit scores of 620 or higher which about includes everyone with a pulse. Just like the good old times. This time financed by taxpayers you and me. Credit bubble 2.0. Govt plays bank. Everyone hurry and buy a car you can't afford financed by Uncle Sam.

Cattlegod

Diamond Member
May 22, 2001
I wouldn't expect this to last. Car sales = revenue. What GM needs right now is more cash to pay bills, even if it means giving up a little bit of cash later. This is likely to help bridge them through the current downturn in auto sales.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
There are very few people who want to buy new cars. It would only hurt GM more if they kept such a large number of people from getting loans. While 620 is far from stellar, they aren't giving the loans away.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Strk
There are very few people who want to buy new cars. It would only hurt GM more if they kept such a large number of people from getting loans. While 620 is far from stellar, they aren't giving the loans away.

Ahh isn't 0% giving the loans away?

Duwelon

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
I think in your haste to join the "omgosh corporation z is at it again!" crowd, you picked a bad thing to contend against GM with. Yes we're paying for it in part, but we also pay for it with the hope that GM will get out of its mess. If they can get cars moving (which creates jobs), using a 0% for 2 months gimmick, everyone is happy in the end.

There's nothing wrong with what they're doing, and I applaud it actually. When I clicked the thread I was expecting something about the upper management getting crazy new bonuses, not a weak critque about their marketing strategy.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
The government is trying like mad to institute hyperinflation to get out of the debt mess, well see how it works.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Sounds like good news to me. I'm just worried about the Alt A and optional ARM mess that's supposed to be hitting the fan soon. If we get hit with another wave of defaults, couldn't these loans really backfire on GM?

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: frostedflakes
Sounds like good news to me. I'm just worried about the Alt A and optional ARM mess that's supposed to be hitting the fan soon. If we get hit with another wave of defaults, couldn't these loans really backfire on GM?

GM doesn't care they got helicopter ben to bail them out.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000

LOL @ the "wave of defaults". Good ol' media.
Yellow journalism at its finest.

Cattlegod

Diamond Member
May 22, 2001

interest rates are low enough that it wont matter. What you have to keep your eye on is commercial loan defaults that could send banks into a tizzy.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: smack Down
Originally posted by: Strk

Ahh isn't 0% giving the loans away?

They aren't giving them to anyone off the street. It may mean a hit for them, but they're still selling cars.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
People were bitching when banks weren't lending, now that they lend they are bitching?

The problem was never giving out credit, it was giving out BAD credit. If they focus on giving out the right kinds of credit there is no problem.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
IMO, it's a good thing and completely expected.

Like any other business they've gotta move their inventory.

They've gotta sell it to raise cash to pay vendors/contractors etc. And inventory represents interest costs. If the inventory sits around long enough, the interests costs will eat up all your profits.

I noticed yesterday that sales of larger vehicles is up, and the smaller fuel-efficient ones down. Toyota suspended production of the Prius. I thought not too long ago they had announced plans to convert their other manufacturing plants over to Prius production?

The price of gas and the fickle consumer seem to make long-term planning terribly difficult.

Since gas is so important to the equation, seem to be that long ago they should have (automakers) should have cross-invested in Oil& Gas. (Henry Ford tried that with rubber for tires)

Fern

badnewcastle

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2004
As a consumer, I like it! But from a business standpoint, it devalues the product; even more then it already is.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
The zero % doesn't cover very many vehicles -

"GM said Tuesday that it will offer zero-percent financing for up to 60 months on the 2008 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy and Saab 9-7X sport utility vehicles. The Saab 9-3 and 9-5 sedans also qualify for zero-percent financing."

Not much of a selection IMHO.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: woodie1
The zero % doesn't cover very many vehicles -

"GM said Tuesday that it will offer zero-percent financing for up to 60 months on the 2008 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy and Saab 9-7X sport utility vehicles. The Saab 9-3 and 9-5 sedans also qualify for zero-percent financing."

Not much of a selection IMHO.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say those are some of their worst selling vehicles. You have three SUVs that are clones of the same, extremely out-dated platform and Saabs. I can't even remember the last time I saw a Saab.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
The Big Three lost the lead as trendsetters and builders of quality vehicles a long while back. Ever since, they've either been playing catch-up or hiding in niche markets, pretending among themselves that the return to the heady days of yesteryear was just around the corner. When they lost the ability to dictate where the industry was headed in the way of styling and build quality, they continued on as if they still led the way on all fronts. Fools....delusional and misguided fools.

How arrogant their top managers are in that shielded corporate stratosphere where they all hobnob with others that have also lost touch with the consumers they have to rely on to keep them in caviar and bubbly. Too bad.

And too bad for the unions as they somehow have become the whipping boys and scapegoats for those that are as delusional as those Big Three top managers are.

edit - spl

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: SunnyD
Wow, the only "bank" doing what they're supposed to be doing with the bailout money... go figure.
No kidding. The entire point of TARP is to get lending moving again. Not like that's happening all too quickly...

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Banks lending out money like dumbshits was what got us into this mess in the first place. Now we're going to try and get out of it by doing more of the same?

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
While there are a few cars, almost everything on the list is an SUV:

2008 Model Year

0% for up to 60 months on 2008 Chevrolet TrailBlazer,;GMC Envoy; and Saab 9-3, 9-5 and 9-7X

0.9% for up to 60 months on 2008 Buick Lucerne

1.9% for up to 60 months on 2008 GMC Yukon and Yukon XL; Chevrolet Tahoe, Suburban and Avalanche; Cadillac CTS, SRX, Escalade, DTS, STS and XLR

2.9% for up to 60 months on 2008 Buick Lacrosse; Hummer H2 and H3

3.9% for up to 60 months on 2008 Chevrolet Equinox, Colorado Ext and Crew cab and Light Duty Silverado; Pontiac Torrent; GMC Canyon Ext and Crew cab; and Light Duty Sierra

4.9% for up to 60 months on 2008 Saturn Astra and Sky; Pontiac Solstice; Chevrolet Corvette and Heavy Duty Silverado; and Heavy Duty GMC Sierra

2009 Model Year vehicles

3.9% for up to 60 months on 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt; Pontiac G5; and Cadillac CTS

4.9% for up to 60 months on 2009 Pontiac G6; Chevrolet Malibu, Light Duty Silverado and HHR; Saturn Aura; and Light Duty GMC Sierra

5.9% for up to 60 months on 2009 Chevrolet Avalanche and Heavy Duty Silverado; and Heavy Duty GMC Sierra

As I said before, it looks like they're trying to get rid of some of their slowest sellers.

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
Sounds like it's time to give away multi-hundred millions in bonuses again! Way to go on bailout! Oh by the way, stand by for tax increases across the board with the exception of the members of congress.