GM/Ford, drop vans, cancel some SUV's

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
GM, Ford Ditching Some SUVs, Vans
Both General Motors and Ford will prune some light trucks from their lineups as consumer tastes seem to be shifting to car-based utility vehicles. Automotive News reports that GM is canceling production of the TrailBlazer and GMC Envoy sometime before the end of the decade, while Ford will drop the Monterey minivan from its lineup as soon as this summer. The GM twin SUVs were originally scheduled for a restyling in 2009, but the vehicles are being dropped so that GM can focus attention on new crossover vehicles like the GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook, and Buick Enclave. The Monterey, meanwhile, will be followed into obsolescence by the Ford Freestar minivan at an unspecified date. Ford is planning to build a new family utility vehicle based on its Fairlane concept from the 2005 Detroit auto show. The News reports that Lincoln will get a version of this vehicle as well.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
How about creating some quality cars. I'm sick of not having a decent midsize car coming out of Ford and GM. The Malibu and the Fusion in no way stack up to the Current crop of Japanese and German midsize cars. Forget about their small cars. The G6 is the closest thing to a decent midsize...and even it feels a generation behind.

Here's to hoping the next Malibu (please drop the name) and G6 are decent cars worth buying.

Trikat

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
In other news GM/Ford finally started using quality components in their vehicles thus boosting reliability across their lineup.

SIKE!!! :Q

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: MIKEMIKE
GM, Ford Ditching Some SUVs, Vans
Both General Motors and Ford will prune some light trucks from their lineups as consumer tastes seem to be shifting to car-based utility vehicles. Automotive News reports that GM is canceling production of the TrailBlazer and GMC Envoy sometime before the end of the decade, while Ford will drop the Monterey minivan from its lineup as soon as this summer. The GM twin SUVs were originally scheduled for a restyling in 2009, but the vehicles are being dropped so that GM can focus attention on new crossover vehicles like the GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook, and Buick Enclave. The Monterey, meanwhile, will be followed into obsolescence by the Ford Freestar minivan at an unspecified date. Ford is planning to build a new family utility vehicle based on its Fairlane concept from the 2005 Detroit auto show. The News reports that Lincoln will get a version of this vehicle as well.

Gee, I didn't see that coming...:laugh:

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Originally posted by: MasterAndCommander
I think Ford should drop the entire Mercury line.
No way! I really like all of Mercury's current models, they're all sharp looking cars.

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
Originally posted by: archcommus
No way! I really like all of Mercury's current models, they're all sharp looking cars.

Including the SUVs with fake off-road light covers? They look retarded.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Sukhoi

Agreed. The rebadged Fusion and rebadged 500 are the only decent looking cars in the bunch.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001

The newest Mountaineers have clear tail lights, as well as the chrome liner. Yuck.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: PricklyPete
How about creating some quality cars. I'm sick of not having a decent midsize car coming out of Ford and GM. The Malibu and the Fusion in no way stack up to the Current crop of Japanese and German midsize cars. Forget about their small cars. The G6 is the closest thing to a decent midsize...and even it feels a generation behind.

Here's to hoping the next Malibu (please drop the name) and G6 are decent cars worth buying.

In what specific way doesn't the Fusion "stack up " ? And to what cars ?

And as a performance family car, what Japanese cars match up to the $27k 300hp Impala SS ?

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Tom

And as a performance family car, what Japanese cars match up to the $27k 300hp Impala ?

Toyota Corolla with the V6...

its asmaller car, but not by much.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

And as a performance family car, what Japanese cars match up to the $27k 300hp Impala ?

You compare a Corolla V6 to an Impala SS ??

You might rather have a Corolla size car, but it's a crazy comparison to make.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000

fvck, i ment camry.

Toyota Camry with the V6.

grr.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001

fvck, i ment camry.

grr.

The V6 Camry isn't in the same ballpark as the V8 Impala when talking about performance.

Ktulu

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2000

I'm generally not a Ford supporter, but i suggest to go take a look and test drive the Fusion. It's an awesome car and right on par with its Asian competition IMHO.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Originally posted by: DougK62

fvck, i ment camry.

grr.

The V6 Camry isn't in the same ballpark as the V8 Impala when talking about performance.

With its traction control active you can throw a brick at the accelerator and the Impala SS will rip to 60 mph in 6.4 seconds and bound through the quarter-mile in 14.4 seconds at 97.5 mph.

0 - 60 (sec): 6.5 (CAMRY)

what were you saying?
both are Edmunds times.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
MikeMike-

ok, I wondered what the heck you meant comparing a Corolla. :)

So compare an Impala SS to a Toyota Camry V6.

My personal likes would lead me to prefer the SS.

1. I love V8s for the power, torque, and sound.
2. I grew up in the muscle car era, so the SS looks cool to me. I like fat tires, aluminum wheels and spoilers.
3. It gets decent mileage for a "muscle" car.

So I'd like to hear specifically why someone would rather have a Camry ?

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
MikeMike-

2. I grew up in the muscle car era, so the SS looks cool to me. I like fat tires, aluminum wheels and spoilers.

fuel economy, newer platform, its toyota, it is not a domestic, they have aa "better interior" (i dont like the new camry's interior, honestly had some cheap dials on it).

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003

No I meant the sedans really. They are sweet looking.

archcommus

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
MikeMike-

fuel economy, newer platform, its toyota, it is not a domestic, they have aa "better interior" (i dont like the new camry's interior, honestly had some cheap dials on it).
Oh yeah...it's a Toyota...that makes me lust for it.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
MikeMike-

Please be specific..

1. fuel economy, what's the difference in EPA ratings ?

2. "newer platform". how much newer ? Impala is pretty new platform. Why is newer platform an advantage to you ?

3. "it's a Toyota." Meaningless unless you have a rational reason.

4. "it's not a domestic." Do you have a reason, or you just hate America ?

5. "interior" You don't like the Camry interior, what about the SS interior is worse ?

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
MikeMike-

Please be specific..

1. fuel economy, what's the difference in EPA ratings ?

2. "newer platform". how much newer ? Impala is pretty new platform. Why is newer platform an advantage to you ?

3. "it's a Toyota." Meaningless unless you have a rational reason.

4. "it's not a domestic." Do you have a reason, or you just hate America ?

5. "interior" You don't like the Camry interior, what about the SS interior is worse ?

alert the frickin news media, i am being called an import fanboi, holy shlt.

1. there is about a 20% difference in EPA ratings iirc.

2. the impala is a facelifted model, the platform is still about 6 years old. older platforms arent as stiff, or nearly as well engineered as current platforms.

3. its a toyota, america associates reliability with toyota.

4. domestics have horrible reliability according to people.

5. i hate the camrys interior, it looks, and feels cheap, the buttons wobble, they squish, they feel cheap. the impala ive only sat in once, and dont remember much about it.

LarryS

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2000
The Toyota Camry is the #2 "most American" car on the market. Built in Kentucky with a majority of US made parts.

Try again.

MikeMike-