GM Car Shopping - Grand Prix or Alero

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I have about $1000 of GM Card earnings and $400 of grad credit to use on a new GM vehicle. I have narrowed it down to the Oldsmobile Alero and the Pontiac GranPrix. Obviously, the GranPrix has size and power advantages, but at a cost.

Basically just looking for comments FROM OWNERS on these vehicles.

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
I got a ride in an Alero and hated it (crappy! :Q).. haven't been in a Grand Prix though.

-RSI

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
The wife has a Grand Prix, she really digs it. This is her 2nd one actually, have had really good luck with both of them. She has also proclaimed that in the future she will never..ever..ever..as long as she lives, own a car that doesn't have radio controls on the steering wheel. Apparently she likes that feature. IMHO, the Grand Prix is better looking than the Alero, but that of course is subjective.

jsm

Banned
Oct 11, 1999
Do you really have to buy GM? You can't buy something like a Viper or NSX Acura? They are fun cars just made for the (small) family!

If you are forced to by GM, you might want to consider the Camaro SS. It's pretty fast and doesn't cost too much.

eflat

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2000
The Grand Prix is a pretty nice car from what I hear, you should look into the olds Intrigue. I was a nice car, even had a dohc engine (unusual for a GM)

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Sorry, I'm not an owner of either one, but I'll toss this in anyway. The Grand Prix is getting a little long in the tooth. My coworker bought an Alero about 6 months ago and I've driven it a few times. She's been very pleased with it, and I must say it was very pleasant to drive as well. For the price, I think it's a very nice car.