Globe and Mail Puts Canadian Soldier's Life at Risk

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Canadians dying at three times the rate as allies

This article points out in detail current forces capabilities and deficiencies in Afghanistan and is Saturday's front page news. I think the information published in the article can and will be used against our soldiers. I think our government should do something about this.

The Liberal bias displayed by this newspaper in the last few years is a disgrace to journalistic professionals. They want Canada out of Afghanistan now and they want the Conservative out of power and are willing to do anything to get it done. Every article on the Afghanistan war effort that they have published is meant to undermine public support and sap our soldier?s moral. But now they go even further and publish information that can be used DIRECTLY by the Taliban to kill our forces.
It is one thing to be against the war, it is quite another to help the enemy.
People can comment on the article on the web site but every comment I sent criticizing this article has been deleted.
The Globe and Mail has no problem SUPRESSING dissenting opinions. I have a family member in Afghanistan and now he is fighting 2 enemies, the Taliban and the Globe and Mail here at home. What a disgrace.

smack Down

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
What detailed force capabilities did the article have that the enemy didn't already know? Do you think they haven't figured out that the Canadians don't have helicopters yet?

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: smack Down
What detailed force capabilities did the article have that the enemy didn't already know? Do you think they haven't figured out that the Canadians don't have helicopters yet?

I don?t think this information should be gatherer all up and published in the front page new. Things like tactics, current capabilities, equipment deficiencies, new equipment delivery dates etc.

If the Taliban didn?t already know it they sure do now.

The Globe and Mail is giving the Taliban all the info they need to defeat us.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Meh, the Government itself publishes Delivery dates of new vehicles, deficiencies in current vehicles, lack of transport capabilities, etc. They do that to justify new spending .

The Globe and Mail has done nothing to undermine Morale, inform the Taliban, or any other such nonsense you are charging them with.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
The chopper deficiency isn't news to anyone, especially the Taliban. They love that Canadians always present themselves as nice, slow-moving, in-range targets. Also stuff like usage of UAVs would sure as hell be nice to have, but isn't a surprise to anyone on the battlefield (or paying close attention) - AFAIK they're visible in the sky to the human eye, and not that quiet.

I didn't think this article showed too much political bias, but I don't read the G&M too often. The Toronto Star on the other hand is an utter disgrace to bias-free journalism, but then again people know you pretty much get a free subscription for joining the Liberal Party. In general it's amazing to me that all of our major political parties except for the Conservatives are in favour of pulling out (or at least pulling back) in Afghanistan. The NDP and Bloc of course are obviously going to insist on being as naive and provincial as possible, but you would think that the Liberals - who sent us in without a vote to begin with - wouldn't be so ideologically bankrupt.

Kntx

Platinum Member
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: yllus
The chopper deficiency isn't news to anyone, especially the Taliban. They love that Canadians always present themselves as nice, slow-moving, in-range targets. Also stuff like usage of UAVs would sure as hell be nice to have, but isn't a surprise to anyone on the battlefield (or paying close attention) - AFAIK they're visible in the sky to the human eye, and not that quiet.

I didn't think this article showed too much political bias, but I don't read the G&M too often. The Toronto Star on the other hand is an utter disgrace to bias-free journalism, but then again people know you pretty much get a free subscription for joining the Liberal Party. In general it's amazing to me that all of our major political parties except for the Conservatives are in favour of pulling out (or at least pulling back) in Afghanistan. The NDP and Bloc of course are obviously going to insist on being as naive and provincial as possible, but you would think that the Liberals - who sent us in without a vote to begin with - wouldn't be so ideologically bankrupt.

The current Liberals have no leader and no platform. Afghanistan is really all they have.

G&M is a pretty good paper, a good balance of articles. Toronto Star and Toronto Sun balance each other out, though in my opinion the Sun is even more ridiculous.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Number1
Canadians dying at three times the rate as allies

This article points out in detail current forces capabilities and deficiencies in Afghanistan and is Saturday's front page news. I think the information published in the article can and will be used against our soldiers. I think our government should do something about this.

The Liberal bias displayed by this newspaper in the last few years is a disgrace to journalistic professionals. They want Canada out of Afghanistan now and they want the Conservative out of power and are willing to do anything to get it done. Every article on the Afghanistan war effort that they have published is meant to undermine public support and sap our soldier?s moral. But now they go even further and publish information that can be used DIRECTLY by the Taliban to kill our forces.
It is one thing to be against the war, it is quite another to help the enemy.
People can comment on the article on the web site but every comment I sent criticizing this article has been deleted.
The Globe and Mail has no problem SUPRESSING dissenting opinions. I have a family member in Afghanistan and now he is fighting 2 enemies, the Taliban and the Globe and Mail here at home. What a disgrace.

I'll keep this short:
1. There are no details in that article
2. What little they pointed out would have been long obvious to any fighter on the field with a quarter brain.
3. The G&M doesn't have a Liberal bias. They endorsed Harper last year:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com...ry/specialDecision2006
4. They're not suppressing dissent, they probably just want to keep their discussion above a 5th grade level.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Kntx
G&M is a pretty good paper, a good balance of articles. Toronto Star and Toronto Sun balance each other out, though in my opinion the Sun is even more ridiculous.

Yeah, G&M is a pretty good, probably the best Canadian paper you can get. Although I'd say the Star and National Post are there for the partisanry, and the Sun...well, I wouldn't wipe my ass with that thing.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
For a Canadian, the OP seems to be a little too brainwashed...
Hey, dude, take your medicine before you talk about the principles of journalistic integrity and military secrets... you're just making a fool of yourself on a public forum, and you're giving your country a bad name.