GlobalFoundries Makes Defect-Free 28nm Wafer

DanielNenni

Banned
Mar 27, 2010
*REMOVED*

GlobalFoundries Makes Defect-Free 28nm Wafer [URL]http://tinyurl.com/35lhlgl
clock12.png
#EDA #SEMIP #SEMICONDUCTOR #TSMC #ASIC #SEMIFAB #SEMICON REALLY? [/URL]

BSN reports that GlobalFoundries (GF) has successfully produced batches of zero-defect wafers on the 28nm process. GlobalFoundries is a chip fabrication company that used to be AMD’s fabrication division. While the sample BSN observed might not be huge in proportion to the roughly 35,000 wafers GF goes through per month, it is still an achievement. GF’s success is significant, considering all the trouble Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC) is having with their 40nm process. Having defect-free wafers now is a good indication that GF’s 28nm process will have strong yields.

AMD is purported to be switching manufacturers of their upcoming generations GPUs from TSMC to GF. Considering all of the yield issues we’ve seen with ATI’s 5xxx series and Nvidia’s GTX 4xx lines, the move to a new 28nm process is highly anticipated. AMD is set to launch their next gen of chips, codenamed “Southern Islands,” around September of this year. Unfortunately, “Southern Islands” will remain on TSMC’s 40nm process and the generation following it, “Northern Islands,” is slated to be the first produced on GF’s 28nm process.

Consumers should expect significantly faster graphics processors when Northern Islands debuts. GF’s 28nm process will allow for more advanced architectures, and if AMD follows the route it took with the 5xxx series, very efficient power usage too. Other chip makers in addition to AMD will probably jump over to GF. Qualcomm has expressed interest in the new 28nm process, which means we’ll see more powerful smartphones. It’ll be interesting to see what Nvidia and TSMC decide to do, since Nvidia has claimed that it won’t move over to AMD’s former fab. Overall, we could see a drop in prices in the semiconductor industry if competition between GF and TSMC is strong.

Sorry Daniel, but several mods warned about self promotion.
See you in two weeks
Anandtech Moderator - Keysplayr

Last edited by a moderator:

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
How much capacity is GF bringing on line? AMD is expected to stay with TSMC as well as GF simply because neither one can provide enough capacity for AMD alone. Just from that I could see no price war materializing.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
But TSMC is looking to go 450mm wafer, so there is no way GF can compete with them even if they have a much better process!
Someone called Daniel Nenni told me himself.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Old news, and if you factor in normal distribution of defects across all wafers, some wafers are bound to be defect free and some are bound to be eaten up with defects. Also, how were the wafers run....hot or cold?

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Thanks for the 2 months old info :thumbsup:

There was a time, a not so long-ago time, when this level of unabashed self-promotion was simply not tolerated here.

[strikethrough]I guess times have changed.[/strikethrough]

I stand corrected :p

Last edited:

Tsavo

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2009
In other news, Frito Lay announced that they have begun volume production of their own 28nm chips.

This should makes things interesting!

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
both TSMC and GF have canceled their 32nm processes altogether (After much delay)...
I find it highly doubtful that they will have a perfect 28nm process... Hopefully they surprise me.