Glitchy video card? What do I do?

optimistic

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
I got this old Geforce 2 GTS/Pro 64mb tv-out made by Powercolor. On the windos loading screen, you can see tiny lines flash for a second. And in windows sometimes I get a lot of system errors "system instability may be due to your video card. Report to microsoft?"

Hmm, I've tried different drivers, I think they are all giving me problems.

I will try more drivers though. And yes I uninstalled the drivers before installing new ones.

Any help? How long is the typical warranty on video cards? I think this one is OEM.

optimistic

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
And in the desktop I get this quick stutter and it goes away. Sometimes I get the "did not complete the last drawing operation" error, "report to microsoft?"

1. Should I get a new card?
2. Try the warranty
3. Reapply heatsink thermal paste
4. More drivers, or fixes.
3. Underclock the card somehow?

Any suggestions are welcome. I want to try to extend the life of this video card if any all possible.

Serp86

Oct 12, 2002
have you tried re-installing windows?

what windows are you using? i had problems running win98SE and my gf2mx and only the drivers on cd worked - not nvidias - so i was stuck with crappy drivers for over a year - no one seemed to have this problem but me and even nvidia didn't respond to my e-mails - now i got ati and everything is going smooth. And now - what do you have to say nvidia fanboys about it having PERFECT drivers AND ati having CRAPPY ones? I think it is exactly the opposite.

geez - when i saw this i just had to vent my anger. my point is if you are running win 98 try to get a copy of win xp. Otherwise your cpu or ram may have overheated somehow and you may want to contact warranty - of course i hope you didn't overclock it.....

AnAndAustin

Platinum Member
Apr 15, 2002
;) Given the GF4MX and Radeons (7500 and up) it doesn't make much sense to go for a GF2 card. Anyway the GF2 cards were always allowed to deviate from the nVidia reference design and implimentation which often meant the latest drivers (alwys from nVidia) either didn't work properly or couldn't handle the TVout chip and such. This improved with GF3 and now the GF4 should always work with the reference drivers from nVidia. I agree that ATI get a bad rep for their drivers and compatibility and don't deserve it, but by and large nVidia are still slightly ahead, I think mostly thanks to game developers who seem to only think of ATI's cards as an after thought, Rad9500+ should change that!

:) Anyway, you could look out for WIn2000 with SP's although I would rec WInXP. Win98SE should still be very cool though, try reinstalling DX after you install the drivers & ensure you have the latest drivers for all your hw esp the mobo. I would try the manu drivers but expect them to be VERY old, after all it is a GF2. It's most likely that you need to do a fresh install, this is true of many gfx card upgrades, it seems these things screw up Windows even more than a mobo upgrade :eek:

majewski9

Platinum Member
Jun 26, 2001
I second that! Fresh install of windows and latest Nvidia drivers then see if it does it. I bet that it wont.

optimistic

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
Yeah, I think it may be software come-to-think-of-it. Because sometimes it's fine and sometimes I get problems for no reason at all.

I think it's doing ok at at detonator 21.83. But I will format if get more problems.

Thanks guys.