Question Glasses free 3D with Acer's portable monitors

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020

Optical 3D trickery refuses to die.
Looks so cool. To me this is way cooler then VR.

And yet I never buy it.

The products always seemed nerfed and half-implemented. 15 inch monitor? 60 Hz? 30ms response?

The response rate and hz could be forgivable, but 15" is just way to small.

Jul 27, 2020
The 3D image viewing concept execution is so flawed. This glasses-free product is just from one OEM. If it doesn't sell, it will get canned no matter how revolutionary it is. Someone with really deep pockets needs to lose a bit of money selling this at a loss to gamers/movie aficionados and then make up the loss through game/movie sales, just like the console model. Otherwise, technologies like this will come and go.

Sony's own 3D monitor was a flop. VR is here but the price of admission is not for the casual user. No one can just buy VR for something like $150-200, explore it and get hooked to it. It's still a niche product, even after all these years. The biggest success in this area will be probably PSVR2. Some people may say that Apple will do it right. But again, I doubt it will go mainstream. Apple will charge an arm and a leg for it.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I don't know what workflow this would be good for, but useless for my needs. I do a lot of thrill of the fight and beat saber, and a panel cannot accommodate those types of games. 3D 360 is why I own VR googles.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Must be the Oculus Quest 2 without any wires, correct?
Close but no cigar. :D I have the OG Quest. Used to have to jump through hoops and use my party link cable for PC use. They are still supporting it, so can't complain. Get a lot of system and app updates still. Threw in some new free beat saber songs too.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
If this can do real 3D without the requirement of active or passive glasses, i'll probably get one, as i HATE using my RiftS headset to watch movies in 3D.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I cant speak for the Rift S, but my Oculus has a bit of screen door effect that makes using it for non interactive media uncompelling. I would definitely want a better headset for that.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
What do you hate about it? Wearing the headset? Or is the 3D effect not good when viewed through it?

The 3D effects are Great, but how the player presents it is MEH.
They simulate your sitting in a theatre, so you got that letter box efffect.

But that's not why i hate it.

It gets very uncomfortable after long usage. It can get sweaty underneath, and the sides will pinch you.
You come out looking like a racoon after usage.

I am waiting to see the VR Glasses, because headsets are just too bulky.
Also when you have your headphones on and the VR headset, it can get very heavy.

Overall id rather not have anything on when watching something just like a movie where motion tracking has little to no role.
I am interested in VR Glasses, but we'll see how those turn out as i don't trust META / FACEBOOK after they utterly killed the rift, and i am anti-apple, as in you'd have to subject me to midevil torcher me before i buy an apple product.

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski