Glassdoor.com - 50 highest paying college majors are...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

freeskier93

Apr 17, 2015
Sad but true. This goes along with the above.

What's worse is dishing out $1500/semester for books, and then the professor upgrades the version so you can't even sell it the next semester to another student. You can barely give it away. Such a scam.

If someone is spending $1500 a semester on books they are getting taken on a big ride. Not even the school book store was that bad... I spent maybe $100 a semester either renting textbooks or buying the international versions.

As far as scholarships, if you are a white middle class male you are fucked. You could cure cancer and still only get $500.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
People don't know how to make money. Oh, that's what my friend told me. He's worth millions and retired at 33.

I'm like most of you people. I went to college and got a degree. My degree just happens to be in special education. I do ok. Nothing great. I'm side hustling so I can bring my income up past $100k a year. It's challenging but I might get there.

My point is there is so much money out there. You don't need a college degree unless you absolutely love what you're doing. Way too many people settle instead of actually going for it. They follow advice from people who lived many years ago. We live in a new economy now.

core2slow

Mar 7, 2008
I've actually been trying to break into a BA role for the past year but it's surprisingly competitive. Every time a req opens up in my company I get stellar reviews after the interview but always come in 2nd due to my lack of credentials.
Every company has a different role for their BAs, and the reason why it's competitive it's because it's easy money hahah. Our BAs does little to some programming and they interact with the business and go to meetings 90% of the time. They then delegate the task to the actual programmers/devs to do the work.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
As soon as I can remember any of that stuff you will be the first to know!

(also, that kind of stuff is what co-op programs were invented for)
Yea, I imagine there are. However, my calculator is not one of these programs. :D Ugh. This shit just never made any sense to me. Like.... Not even close. Oh well.

CraKaJaX

Lifer
Dec 26, 2004
If someone is spending $1500 a semester on books they are getting taken on a big ride. Not even the school book store was that bad... I spent maybe $100 a semester either renting textbooks or buying the international versions.

As far as scholarships, if you are a white middle class male you are fucked. You could cure cancer and still only get $500.

What year are we talking here? When I graduated they actually started implementing CD keys and e-books, and if you didn't have the program you couldn't do the homework or get any of the work done basically. It was a complete scam. They made you need it. There were also token/clicker things that you assigned your student ID to in order for the prof to take attendance at class. As soon as you walked in, he had a trivia question on. If you didn't answer, you weren't in class. At least, that was the idea. Those weren't cheap either.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Nobody with a physics degree is getting entry level developer job, sorry. That is my whole contribution. Oh, and that there are some real dumb people propping up the top pick. I've worked with them and they are the reason I can get paid so much more.

WhoBeDaPlaya

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
EE is way to broad. Controls, signals & systems, power, fab / device physics, optics, EM, RF, analog/digital design/IC, etc.
I still don't know how I ended up in physical design when coming from a mixed-signal design undegrad + optics/RF/EM doctoral background :p

SketchMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 23, 2005
Every company has a different role for their BAs, and the reason why it's competitive it's because it's easy money hahah. Our BAs does little to some programming and they interact with the business and go to meetings 90% of the time. They then delegate the task to the actual programmers/devs to do the work.

Very true. I almost got a sweet gig on a PMO team because of my massive technical background and experience leading projects. I lost to an external hire who came in with a Masters in BA, hard to top that with me being half done with an AS degree in Business Admin. Starting to think about pausing the AS to go for a CAPM Cert. to get something on my resume, and then maybe working on PMI-PBA Cert.

Last edited: