Giving up on Correlizer

sangyup81

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2005
I've been doing a combination of Correlizer, Milkyway, and Collatz up until now. Should I switch all my resources (including GPU) to POEM@HOME? :cool:

I have 20 CPU cores, 7 ATI HD 4770s, a GT520 on a Mac, a HD 6550m, and a HD 6520G (part of the A6-3420m APU)

sangyup81

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2005
I can also install BOINC on the computers in the office but I didn't want to bother since all they have are Athlon 64 x2 CPU cores

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
i guess that really depends how dedicated you are to certain projects. i participated in Correlizer for a short while myself, but only to participate in the Correlizer race that went down not too long ago. if you don't want to completely give up on CPU computing, then perhaps you should load BOINC on your work machines and run Correlizer on those.

as for GPU compute, is there any particular reason you want to put all (or most) of your GPUs on POEM@Home? i recently joined POEM@Home myself for a few reasons - 1) i wanted to start contributing to a life science, 2) it allows my GPU to run relatively cool, and 3) the PPD isn't bad. i'd have them both on Milkyway@Home, except that produces too much heat for my liking right now...so MW@H and POEM it is.

if you don't have any hardware or software limitations, it should just come down to whatever you think is the most important way to contribute to science and society. personally, i'd scrap Collatz, keep Milkyway@Home, and add POEM@Home. while Collatz has its scientific merit, searching for ever larger prime numbers is only so useful from a scientific standpoint, and i feel that the other 2 projects have a much better chance of contributing something significant to the scientific community. i only do Collatz when the MW@H project goes down.

sangyup81

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2005
i guess that really depends how dedicated you are to certain projects. i participated in Correlizer for a short while myself, but only to participate in the Correlizer race that went down not too long ago. if you don't want to completely give up on CPU computing, then perhaps you should load BOINC on your work machines and run Correlizer on those.

as for GPU compute, is there any particular reason you want to put all (or most) of your GPUs on POEM@Home? i recently joined POEM@Home myself for a few reasons - 1) i wanted to start contributing to a life science, 2) it allows my GPU to run relatively cool, and 3) the PPD isn't bad. i'd have them both on Milkyway@Home, except that produces too much heat for my liking right now...so MW@H and POEM it is.

if you don't have any hardware or software limitations, it should just come down to whatever you think is the most important way to contribute to science and society. personally, i'd scrap Collatz, keep Milkyway@Home, and add POEM@Home. while Collatz has its scientific merit, searching for ever larger prime numbers is only so useful from a scientific standpoint, and i feel that the other 2 projects have a much better chance of contributing something significant to the scientific community. i only do Collatz when the MW@H project goes down.

I was completely sold on correlizer but it's been a really long time since they've given anyone work units. It was also a nice bonus that it ran so nicely on my AMD Phenom IIs.

For POEM@HOME, the appeal is that it's a life science and personally, I like contributing to those better than researching numbers or mapping the Milky Way. Since I have DP GPUs, I did like the fact that I could take advantage of that feature that others could not but in the end, I probably did more than enough for that project especially since a lot of their focus seems to have gone towards the N-Body project.

Sunny129

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
given that explanation, i'd say go for it. i'm not a PPD junkie, and from the sound of it you're like me in that you seem to be in it more for the science than the points...but just to give you an idea, my shader-unlocked HD 6950 consistently nets 330K PPD on POEM@Home.

sangyup81

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2005
Sunny, thanks for the tips. While I did join BOINC to contribute to science, I do want the PPD that I am due =)