(Given Away) Does anyone want the Half Life Platinum Collection on steam?

Apr 20, 2008
I just picked up a couple HL1 based cd's for a couple bucks, and thought I could active the CD-Keys and gift them to others, but to no avail. When I type in the CD Keys it just says I own the entire collection already, and not an already in use CD-Key.

The Platinum collection includes:
Half Life
Half Life: Opposing Force
Half Life: Blue Shift
Counter Strike 1.6
Team Fortress Classic
Day of Defeat (my favorite)
Ricochet
Deathmatch Classic

First come - First serve kind of thing. No promises, but I'll message you the CD-Key and i'd really like to know if it activates properly. If you know you will never play these games, don't ask for them. Let someone who will play them have this!

thm1223

Jun 24, 2011
You know I've never actually played the original Half-Life all the way through. Nor have I ever played the original CS.

I'd love one if you still have it to spare. It'd be greatly appreciated!

Apr 20, 2008
Lol. Is that sarcastic? I like it too, but I've not found anyone online when I've tried in years...

Edit: I'll be doing another giveaway soon on the game called "The Ship", which is a Valve produced Source game base off of the HL1 mod "The Ship". I will be gifting those on steam.

Last edited:

Maleficus

Diamond Member
May 2, 2001
Yea, sarcasm. I didn't think anyone actually liked Richochet... Valve doesn't even list it as a game they produced they are so ashamed of it.

Apr 20, 2008
It was far more liked than you realize! I remember there were hundreds of servers up, and as a teen, people I didn't know even at my grade school spoke about it.

And valve does list it on the store page.
Title: Ricochet
Developer: Valve
Publisher: Valve
Release Date: Nov 1, 2000

serf

Sep 12, 2012
I'm new here, (this is my first post) but I've been wanting to play The Ship for over a year now but the price hasn't gone down and I missed the sale :( ... so if you have a copy to gift I'd love it. thanks!

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I'm new here, (this is my first post) but I've been wanting to play The Ship for over a year now but the price hasn't gone down and I missed the sale :( ... so if you have a copy to gift I'd love it. thanks!

:hmm:

AlexAL

Jan 23, 2008
The Steam key worked perfectly and Scholzpdx is just a great guy for doing this.

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
I know the Half-life was supposed to done using the Quake II engine. What engine did it end up using?

slugg

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
GOLD SRC engine is what I believe it was called.

They named it that only after they cut ties with Sierra, the original publisher of HL1 (pre-steam). If you ask any of the old school modders, they'd tell you it was the Quake engine with enhancements, new AI, and a C++ interface. Over time (mainly, when Valve cut ties with Sierra and pushed everything onto Steam), the engine became majorly modified and what is now called GoldSource. They only really started calling it GoldSource later when they code named their newer Source engine.

So basically, John Carmack is a damn legend. ;)

thm1223

Jun 24, 2011
The Steam key worked perfectly and Scholzpdx is just a great guy for doing this.

Yep pretty much. Again thanks so much I'm having a blast going through Half-Life again. I can't believe how much I've forgotten and how much I now realize, especially in hindsight after playing HL2.

Apr 20, 2008
You're welcome. I literally have no use for them as each of my steam accounts already contain this pack from my original purchases of half life (2x) and counter strike. The older half life engine games are great on core CPUs and low end modern video cards.

I played through the first few levels of half life with developer_1 on and fpsmax_99999. My average fps during a half hour of gameplay was 470fps. And I know I'm CPU limited as overclocking my 6870 did nada.

Olikan

Platinum Member
Sep 23, 2011
They named it that only after they cut ties with Sierra, the original publisher of HL1 (pre-steam). If you ask any of the old school modders, they'd tell you it was the Quake engine with enhancements, new AI, and a C++ interface. Over time (mainly, when Valve cut ties with Sierra and pushed everything onto Steam), the engine became majorly modified and what is now called GoldSource. They only really started calling it GoldSource later when they code named their newer Source engine.

So basically, John Carmack is a damn legend. ;)

i remember that Carmack got surprised when valve said that GoldSource was based on quake