Give your package to any UPS driver making deliveries?

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I have a Prepaid label and don't want to drive 12 miles to UPS place. Can I just flag down the UPS truck when he comes down my street?

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: 13Gigatons
I have a Prepaid label and don't want to drive 12 miles to UPS place. Can I just flag down the UPS truck when he comes down my street?

You can try, but I will put money on him not stopping.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004

I doubt it. He's the deliveryman and I'm pretty sure it's not his job so you're basically just asking a random guy to run your errand for you.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Originally posted by: gorcorps

I doubt it. He's the deliveryman and I'm pretty sure it's not his job so you're basically just asking a random guy to run your errand for you.

If they're already stopped, you can hand them a box as long as the box has a valid UPS shipping label on it. He'll scan it and take it. Unless it's a scheduled daily delivery route, they're required to take it (scheduled daily delivery routes have a morning drop-off-only and an afternoon drop-off / pickup where pickup is only allowed at the afternoon or evening route. I used to manage my old company's UPS account). If he's just driving by, like was said before, don't hold your breath on them stopping for some waving loonie on the side of the road :p

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
The truck stops at about 5 or 6 houses per day when they come driving down my street. My neighbor across the street always seems to have something being delivered.

BTW: I tried to schedule a pickup but there was an extra fee for that.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: KLin
https://wwwapps.ups.com/pickup/schedule">Schedule a pickup</a>

This. I asked a driver that was making a delivery to my home if he could take a pre-printed labled package and he ask me if I had pre-scheduled it. I told him no. He said that he would have to call in and ask before taking it and it was a YMMV depending on what dispatch thought that he could carry/deliver. He called and they ask for the tracking number and took it, but it was a YMMV situation.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
The truck stops at about 5 or 6 houses per day when they come driving down my street. My neighbor across the street always seems to have something being delivered.

BTW: I tried to schedule a pickup but there was an extra fee for that.

Just catch the driver when he stops. Don't make him wait or anything, just have it all ready to go. Be like "It's all ready to go, have a nice day!" and hand him the box. Or put it on the driver's seat when he's out of his truck making the delivery.

Edit: oh, and of course there's a fee for scheduling a delivery. UPS is a company in the business of making money :p

amicold

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2005

You can or at least should. The delivery trucks load up packages from small businesses at the end of their routes anyways.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Originally posted by: amicold

You can or at least should. The delivery trucks load up packages from small businesses at the end of their routes anyways.

Only the late afternoon / evening routes do. Morning delivery trucks are not supposed to accept outgoing shipments.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Sounds like Nik has been spending some time with Savoyboy. Got something you want to tell us Nik????